September 12, 2009

Christmas Thank You Notes

Edit: Thank you for all the nice comments, they mean so much. Especially the ones about instilling good manners in my children, it's so nice to see parents trying to do the right thing. The scallop edge on the card is a Fiskars border punch. I don't know the name of it specifically but it's one of the blue, long border punches..found at your local scrapbook store or Michael's. It's a beautiful day here and we've been outside working and playing...so nice to have my family all here today together. Check back tomorrow, I have a new Mishie Mini Kit coming up. :)

Papertrey is in full Christmas swing this week. It's given me a great opportunity to get a little ahead on my holiday planning. If there's one thing that is a must around our house at Christmas time, it's writing thank you notes for gifts received.

I thought it would be fun to make a little Christmas thank you card kit for the girls. Having an activity after the big day winds down will be something the girls will enjoy. I designed one card for the girls to see as an example
It's bright and cheery and full of little design elements. For the main focal image on my card, I stamped a Vintage Label in Raspberry Fizz onto Kraft cardstock and then cut out the image with Spellbinder's Labels 1 Nestabilities die templates. This set with coordinating dies is going to be a big hit in my stamp room! I then stamped the thank you sentiment from Signature Christmas and punched out lots of circles. This little sentiment is so great because you don't often see a thank you sentiment specifically for Christmas. To finish off the main image, I stamped and paper pieced a pair of mittens from Winter Swirls with Raspberry Fizz ink. For the patterned strips, I used Holiday Cheer patterned paper....you'll going to flip over this bright and cheery paper! My background on the Vintage Cream card base is stamped with Polka Dots II in Aqua Mist ink. Some fancy cream ribbon, a rhinestone and decorative punched edges finish off the card. The cute cards will fit into Vintage Cream A1 Envelopes, a cute little size for thank you notes. All of the new Christmas stamp sets and patterned paper will be released on the 15th over at the Papertrey website.
For the girls' Christmas thank you kit, I assembled all the pieces so that they're ready to be added to card bases. The only tools needed will be a pair of scissors to trim the ribbon bows.
Each little accent piece has Scor-Tape on the back that can be easily peeled off. The mittens and snowflake circles from Winter Swirls have pop dots on the back.
Ribbon has been cut for each card and a few packs of rhinestones will be fun for some bling bling.
I tucked all of the *ingredients* for the Christmas thank you kit into an old bread tin. All the little embellishments are tucked into old tin molds.
I know that sometimes kids don't like to sit down and write thank you notes....but I think it's very important and I know the grandparents, etc appreciate it. If you make it fun for the kids like I've done with my Christmas thank you kit, I can almost bet they'll be excited to write those thank you notes. When it gets closer to Christmas, I'll tuck in some postage stamps and a few nice writing pens. One more thing to check off my holiday planning list.......YAY!!

25 comments:

Jeanne said...

Love the gift of Thank You notes. I remember as a child that I would write thank you notes late Christmas night. Fun to write those notes when you are so full of the joy and excitement of the day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mish,
What's the name of the border punch you used?

Elizabeth S. said...

This is such a fantastic idea!!

Anonymous said...

CLEVER! Michelle, seriously, clever! ---teri

Mary J said...

I love the colours - so fresh! Got to finish all the xmas cards yet before I get to the thank you ones...! Thx for sharing another beautiful creation!

TammyB said...

These are awesome - love how you put together your kits.

Steph Zerbe said...

Oh Mish, you should make a card kit for us that has a couple stamp sets and papers! You have such a way with color and a very timeless design. I love these. Thanks for sharing!

Lola G. said...

What a beautiful way to inspire! I'm so impressed.

Deanna said...

Wow wow wow, love the color combo!

yvette said...

I love your mass producing your are the queen of mass production you have changed the error of my ways. I no longer make one original card anymore I exhaust all of my products why have left overs?????

Patty J said...

You are so right with thank you notes - everybody needs to write them. So glad this sentiment was created! Beautiful card showcasing many wonderful PTI products.

Lisa said...

This is such a fantastic gift idea! Thanks!! I know a few friends who will definitly appreciate something like this!

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful idea! Since we send out Christmas photo cards, I don't make Christmas cards per se. My big holiday effort with my Christmas stamps is making the Thank You notes. Sooo this is a terrific idea, I am all over it!! My two little ones will love it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Which set is the "Christmas Thank You" stamp? I'm hoping it is the Handwritten Christmas set by Dawn.

-Amy (Brunosmom on PTI)

Alanna said...

What an absolutely fabulous idea. I might have to think about doing this and I'm so excited to see this sentiment in Dawn's set.

Lorri said...

This will sound like a very weird post but I wish I was one of your girls--you sound like the best mom around. This season always makes me feel a little "homesick" for my younger days.

diane mcvey said...

Oh, bless you for teaching your children to write thank you notes! As an "old-timer" *ha* I truly appreciate a thank you, especially from young folks! These days it's a rare thing that young people remember to thank those that give them gifts...unfortunately! You are a gem...thank goodness some Moms instill good manners in their kids!! :D

La Chula Fashions said...

mish I love your stuff ALWAYS!!the colors a beautiful.. and what a great idea.. tfs..I would also like to know what punch or die you used for the border it's really cute.. is that a spellbinder borderability??? please share!! tu amiga ..Kat..

Anthonette said...

Excellent kit, Mish! I love that your girls will be sending thank you cards. I'm trying to teach my 6 year old the importance of always sending a thank you.

Jill said...

I can't wait to do this for myself. A friend of mine has a great rule for her 7 and 11 year old boys ~ You cannot play with the gift until you have written a thank you note for it. It is very effective.

BALLET NEWS said...

Hello, I just had to leave you a note because I've so enjoyed reading your posts today. You have the most gorgeously beautiful site - best wishes & thank you ..

Linda Beeson said...

Wow, not only is that an adorable card but what a great idea and this looks so easy to put together after you have gone to all the work! That punch is Apron Lace - one of my favs!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

What a fun thank you kit for your girls to make!

I can remember getting new stationery for Christmas and those pens where you had 4 color choices and writing thank you's to my grandparents and great grandparents. I think this is very important for girls AND boys. I make simple thank you cards for the boys to send to their grandparents and aunts and uncles for bd's and holidays and anything else in between.

Lacey said...

Great job! I love this idea. My daughter is now old enough that she should be able to do her own thank you notes.
By the way, it's the Fiscars Apron Lace border punch.
~Lacey

Beth said...

ADORABLE MISH! Love this idea!

Katherine Marie! said...

I adore these.... what a fantastic idea--- great planning ahead too! I usually do a photo thank you with my favorite shots of the season... maybe I could incorporate a photo into this idea!???

Thanks so much for sharing all your AMAZING ideas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails