September 23, 2009

Grab and Go Bags

Edit #3: Helllllllo again. TGIF!!! To answer a few questions.....I shop for my fabric at lots of places like my local quilt shop and from little shops I find on road trips. I've never bought fabric online before but I'm finding lots that I want so I may take that route here soon. I typically do not purchase fabric from Walmart and the craft stores as I find their fabric is a little stiff and of lower quality. Yes, that means I usually pay up to $9 bucks for a yard of fabric but the quality is well worth it. And YES, I'll be making more totes soon. They take me a while to make but I'm hoping to upload totes to my Etsy shop once or twice a month. Thank you so much for your interest!! Have a great weekend.

Edit #2: The Grab and Go Bags are now sold out. Thank you if you purchased a bag...and thank you for the nice comments. I will definitely be making more bags from time to time. I love to make them and I'm sure I'll go in little sewing spurts to create more.

Edit: The Grab and Go Bags are up in my Etsy shop now...click on the link just to the left where it shows my etsy shop. :)

Wanna see my newest sewing venture? Okay! In the last year I have really embraced the whole sewing thing. I got a new machine (the Baby Lock Audrey) and have just been stitching up all kinds of things. I'm almost done with my first quilt top and will be ready to assemble the quilt and get the binding on soon. I can't wait for that!!

In the meantime, I take on projects like home decor items and these little gems. I call them Grab and Go Bags. I made a mini version of this some time ago and posted it here on the blog.....I got lots and lots of requests to sell them. So here goes...I've got a bigger version of my totes for you.

Here's the details: The bag body measures about 9" x 9", not including the handles.
Both sides of the bag have a four patch pattern in cute fabrics(all of these shown use Moda fabrics). Handles are stitched onto the outside of the bags with very sturdy stitches. Cute ribbon on each bag.....and there is one button sewn on each bag for a fun little detail.
My Grab and Go Bags are fully lined with coordinating fabric. Each bag has an extra layer of thick interfacing inside also for a more sturdy lining.
The bottoms of the Grab and Go Bags have a boxed bottom detail, allowing the tote to have a roomier bottom and stand up a little on it's own.
And I lovvvvvvvvve picking out new fabrics. It's every bit as fun as selecting new patterned paper for cards!!
My Grab and Go Bags are just the perfect size to toss in your keys, cell phone, a pen and notepad, a library book, your grocery list.......all those little things you need to grab while you're running out the door. I'm going to make one for myself and hang it on a special hook by the door. I'm always needing a little bag to take with me when I run errands or am picking up the girls from practice. This little bag is just the ticket!! I'll be uploading my bags to Etsy today so stay tuned!
I just love sewing. It's relaxing because you have to take your time when sewing. You can't hurry a project. I like to sew upstairs because of the natural lighting....my 40 year old eyes require good lighting when I sew. I gather up all my supplies and keep them in baskets so that I can tuck everything away when needed. Then when I'm done I'll put my supplies away for awhile until another project calls my name. Right now I have lots of other projects on my to do list....but I need more cute fabrics.
For my upcoming anniversary I have a great plan....I've paid for my husband's deer to be stuffed..or mounted......or whatever you call it.......that is a BIG present. About $400 bucks worth....get it......bucks????? Anyway, I figure if I surprise him with that for our anniversary then I can naturally count on something just as good right? It is our 15 year anniversary! So I'm planning a quilt shop hop and am going to spend some major chump change on some new fabrics. Ohhhhh, I can't wait to tell Eric about our anniversary plans. He will be SO THRILLED.....not. All you have to do though is spread the shopping out between stuff men like to do. You go to one shop........then go eat greasy BBQ.....then go to another shop.....then go to Cabella's.......then go to another shop......then go get ice cream......see my method? I can't wait!

37 comments:

Jane said...

Brilliant! You ROCK!!

Melissa said...

These are so darling Mish...simply irresistible. I'm sure they'll fly right out of your shop. LOVE your anniversary plans....sounds exactly like how I would love to spend mine :)
Melis

Val said...

Very cute bags. That's how we do our anniversary too. Next Friday we will head to a nice hotel with a jaguzzi room and a fabulous dinner and I will get to go see West Side Story (my all time fav.) performed live at a theatre in Stratford, Ontario. It's a Win, Win anniversary. Love the way you think.

Anonymous said...

Your bags are lovely!Your anniversary plan sounds brilliant, and one I've heard before. Heres hoping your Dh gets a big buck, and you get lots of beautiful fabrics.
Sally

Patti J. said...

OMG what a brilliant plan! I can't wait to try it out on DH. Deer season is upcoming, isn't it...very soon, in fact! Great bags - I'll have to visit your Etsy store! Please let us know when you add them to your store!

Victoria Hassink said...

Mish I love your bags! I mde tote bags just like this for my daughter for preschool and she had one for every season, 1st day, Halloween( the teacher's favorite), Christmas, you name it! I eventually began to see them to her teachers and friends and then branched into clothes...I love to sew, and seem to have a much easier time then paper crafts for some reason, even though I love that too!
Best of luck with your wonderful bags!

Anonymous said...

Mish.. I will be doing a Quilt Shop hop here as well in Virginia. However, we will stay overnite. I love fabrics and printed paper. I had quilted years ago and got back into (doing smaller stuff myself) recently. Those lovely fabrics got me hooked again. Enjoy!! and Happy Anniversary. We will be celebrating our 25th in November.. I have got to get some ideas going.


Susan

Elizabeth S. said...

These bags are fantastic!! I so need to get sewing again.
Sounds like a great anniversary, have a great one!

Rachelle said...

love these bags. makes me want to get into sewing. I'm sure my husband won't mind if I pick up another hobby right?!

Anonymous said...

I love the bags, but your link was not coming up for the Etsy shop earlier, and I don't know if you wanted your title to be Grag and Go, but there is a difference between your post and title...oops there is your link for Etsy and the title there is Grag and go also...should they be Grab and go? You are always inspiring.

CeeCee said...

Those bags are DAH BOMB!!! I want one... must get one... going to get one.... on my way to your Etsy Shop! Woohoo, girl shopping!!!
Laughing at your anniversary plans comment. I know what you mean about pleasing the man, with little self-pleasing for us in between. With hubby and I, it's HIS golfing and MY craft shopping.
Have a great anniversary!

Crystal M. said...

Love the bags!! I missed them in the shop. Any chance you'll be making more??

Ellie said...

HAPPY Anniversary! :) I tried to catch one of your fab bags but they are all gone! ((HUGS)) They look perfect for hiding pull ups and other little nic nacs for my DD! Here's hoping you'll make some more :)

Andrea said...

Happy (upcoming) Anniversary! I was at LLBean recently and one of the women said how great LLBean was because it is like having a built in babysitter for your husband ;) They should build all paper crafting and quilt shops next to LLBeans, Cabelas or Home Depots :)

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

Love these bags so cute. it is so true about men and shopping for my Birthday I got to go to a craft store then we had to go to Cabela's.

patriciad said...

You scheming little devil you. A stroke of genius I tell you. GENIUS!!! ;-)

SentimentsbyDenise said...

I totally missed these! And now I can't see how much they were!
Can you please email me with the price you were asking for these? Thanks so much.
Hopefully I can get here the next time you have these up for sale!

Denise

Troy Louise said...

Your bags are very cute, I like your color selections. You're lucky that your husband might fall for that shop and hop idea. No way would my husband do that even with the stops for food. Luckily he will soon be gone 10 days deer hunting & I can shop all I want.

Anonymous said...

Mish, I have admired your talent and creations for such a long time, but unfortunately, from afar. I am retired now and can create a google account at home. I was a little hesitant to do it at work. Your stuff is beyond precious! I too like quilting fabric and have been trying to sort through all I have. I believe that I will try my hand at making one of the bags for our car and vacation. Regards, Charlotte Hutcheson

Alicia Weiman said...

Love, love your new little grab and go bags. I have my Grandma working on my new diaper bag right now....notice I didn't say me. I just have the knowledge of 4-h sewing under my belt so I always pass my projects on to my mom or grandma....maybe one of these days! I don't know where you live, but in Hannibal, MO there is a quilt shop called The Hickory Stick that is absolutely wonderful. There are so many fabrics to choose from and I know you wouldn't leave there empty handed! Have fun on your anniversary trip!

Debbie Fisher said...

These are absolutely darling! Love your plans for your anniversary to keep hubby happy. Ü

Samantha said...

I think that is the perfect plan! I go with the "send hubby link to item you want" approach for gift shopping.

Sheri said...

Please, please, please make more bags!

Rose said...

I love the bags and your plan! You are brilliant!

CherylQuilts said...

I love reading your posts...especially ones like this...you make me smile! And you are SO right!! These are darling bags, and I'm so glad you are loving quilting. I need to get back into it myself...I sure have a nice stash of fabric. Thanks for this great idea, Michelle...maybe it will get me started again! LOL!

Trudi said...

Those totes are so cute Mish! And you sold out already!?! That's awesome. I love your Anniversary plans, sounds like how we did our Honeymoon; 3 nights in bed and breakfasts and 3 nights in a cabin, visits to car museums and a race track and a visit to The Biltmore. It's all about compromise, that keeps everyone happy :)

Vicki said...

Love the bags! I wish I had the talent to sew! Happy Anniversary!

Kim G said...

Love these grab and go bags and your anniversary idea!! Do you have a local store you purchase your fabrics or an on-line store you like to go to. Thanks

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Michelle, is there a way to contact you?

Love the bags!

Margarita Ybarra said...

OMG! Those tote bags are so cute, you are very talented Michelle!

Anonymous said...

Mish - you are right about the Walmart fabric - it is the "first" run - which means it is of lesser quality than the fabric sent to the quilt stores. since you are spending so much time making a quilt or a project, I believe that it is worth the $9/yard!!!!

Patty said...

I missed the bags on etsy, too. They looked adorable. Can you email me with the price? The fabric looked like it was worth what you paid for it...

Amy Jo said...

I love your bags! I make some myself and am struggling with interfacing. Do you have a certain kind you use for your bags and would you be willing to share? Thanks

Amy Jo

barb mann said...

Mish, Love your cute "grab and go" bags. My daughter's etsy shop fabricworm has fabulous quality fat quarter sets from lots of designers. I'd love for you and anyone else to visit - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5973558
Barb

barb mann said...

Mish - Sorry, I just commented that my daughter had lots of fat quarter sets in her etsy shop fabricworm. I guess she's now just showing 1/2 yd sets. But OOH the fabric is so nice.
Barb

Anonymous said...

Ohhh. I love these. I must have one. You are so talented Mish. Debbie Leonard, Texas

Tricia T said...

You are amazing! I love your little bags and can't wait to see that quilt. I'm positive that it will be *fantastic*. You seem to shine at all things crafty!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails