September 2, 2008

Just Hatched Baby Cards

My friend Bev issued a fun challenge over the Labor Day Weekend. I'm sure you've heard about not wearing white after Labor Day:

"Popular fashion etiquette dictates that white should not be worn after Labor Day. Originally it was white shoes that were taboo— white or "winter white" clothing was acceptable. The custom is fading: "Fashion magazines are jumping on this growing trend, calling people who 'dare' to wear white after Labor Day innovative, creative, and bold. "

Bev's fun challenge was to create a project using white...accents, paper, buttons, ribbon, etc. I was up to the challenge! I worked on my stash basket this weekend and baby cards came to mind. I hadn't inked up the cute nest from the Papertrey Birds of a Feather set yet so it became my focus along with the cute *just hatched* sentiment.
I stamped the nest image with Dark Chocolate ink and used Aqua Mist for the eggs. I cut the eggs out and adhered them to the nest image with a pop dot. Glossy Accents was added to make the eggs shiny and more realistic. I punched the image out with SU!'s new label punch and mounted that onto a piece of Aqua Mist cardstock. For the white base card, I used a square Spellbinder's Nestabilities die template and embossed the card front. I love the look of all white for the card base, but the textured embossing just added so much detail.
For the bottom of the cards, I used Papertrey's Everyday Blessings patterned paper which I edged with the Fiskar's scallop border punch. I then layered on a strip of Papertrey's Aqua Mist saddle stitched ribbon, a layer of tan lace like ribbon and a pretty green flower. I finished the flower off with a stitched button and a snippet of the Green Leaf ribbon that was released with Pine's new Rustic Branches stamp set. I love how just a little snippet of that ribbon really finishes the flower off nicely.
Sooooo, a few more cards done for my stash basket.....and an end to a great summer! We enjoyed a nice weekend close to home, just enjoying the last long break for a while. I'll be sure to post my latest finds soon! I hope you all had a great weekend also. Thanks Bevie, for the fun challenge!

27 comments:

Michele Kovack said...

These are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Basement Stamper said...

Beautiful! I love the embossed look as well!

Shelly said...

Sweet cards!

Cris A said...

I love what you did with the Nestabilities!! It really does add so much detail!

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful! I love the crisp white and the layered ribbons.

Rachelle said...

this is just gorgeous. The embossing looks fantastic. and the color combo looks great. perfect!

Stefanie Staniak said...

Beautiful Card Mish. I love the striking white with the aqua mist as an accent. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,

Question for you, do you use your spellbinders in a cuttlebug or in the original machine? I love the dies but not another machine!?!?
Love your new cards. absolutely loveable, maybe you should consider to give some workshop in the Netherlands

Jennifer said...

GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!!!

Kari said...

Gorgeous cards! I just love this color combo!! I love your style too!! Thanks so much for inspiring!!

Marlou McAlees said...

aaaaah these cards are just the sweetest, I love them :)

Anonymous said...

Just lovely!

Chrissy said...

Oh Mish! These are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us! I love the button on top of the flowers!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are absolutely adorable! Love them!
smiles,Deena

Anonymous said...

Love them! Just curious, where did you purchase the May Arts ribbon that was used in your August 25th post?

Linda Beeson said...

These are precious in every possible way!!! LOVE the details.

Susan (peebsmama) said...

I love this card. The expanse of white is really easy to look at. But the embossed squares gives it some extra interest. And I love the color combo of the aqua and chocolate. The scallop border, lace and flower really tie everything together nicely.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! These are gorgeous...

Anonymous said...

These are darling and elegant! Love the detail.

Timetostamp said...

These are so pretty! I love the white and the embossed look! Gorgeous cards!

Charlene Austin said...

SO beautiful! Very nice!

Jeanne said...

These are absolutely "wow" cards! Love the contrast of shapes and textures.

Lori Craig said...

I absolutely love these, Mish!

CreativeMish said...

These are so cute! I never thought of using a nest and eggs for a baby card!

Just Give Me Flowers! said...

First off...I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! Thank you for all the time you put into inspiring us with your great ideas!!!
I have a question and I feel stupid asking it but here goes...I have lots of the nestabilities and have used them lots but I'm wondering how you embossed these adorable cards without cutting through the paper?
I just love the look and would like to know the technique.
Thanks again,
Debbie Hutchinson

Melissa Sibert said...

NIcole, I have a question about the label dies you have from Spellbinders. Are they very similar to the new Big Shot Top notes die from Stampin' UP! and the Curvy Label punch? If so how close. I love your cards. They are great. Love your simple style. Keep them coming.

Melissa Sibert
stampin.chick@gmail.com

Melissa Sibert said...

Oops, I callled you Nicole, and not Michelle. So sorry. I love your work and Nicole Heady and I don't know how I got your names mixed up in my comment. So sorry.

Melissa Sibert

Related Posts with Thumbnails