August 12, 2009

Autumn Abundance

Edit: Susan brought up a very good question. She asked why I would use three Copic colors to color in my leaves (for example) instead of just one color. I posted this photo below to give you a good visual along with my answer. When you see things like a sunflower in real life, it has lots of dimension. The flower petals and leaves have folds and curves. You also see one leaf in front of another leaf...one flower petal in front of other flower petals. All of these factors add up to dimension and depth, foreground and background. This different elements cast shadows on one another. So in real life, you rarely see a color that is just one color. Instead you see highlights and shadows, light areas and dark areas. So in my interpretations of these sunflowers, I used 3 colors on the leaves to represent the shadows and highlights that occur in real life. I want my finished image to look as real life as it can be. I hope that helps to answer your question, Susan. And if you're having trouble with the shading and light and dark areas, google a photo of what you are trying to color. Zoom in on the photo and really study each and every leaf. Pick one flower petal and really analyze where the shadows are and what one petal looks like when it's behind another flower petal. It takes a little doing, but you will get there!

Autumn Abundance is a beautiful new set coming out this month at Papertrey. Nichole did a fabulous job with illustrating the images in this set. For all of you that love to color stamped images with Copics (or watercolors, etc), this set is going to be a must have for your collection. Be sure to check out Nichole's blog to see more ideas for her beautiful new Autumn Abundance stamp set.

I got inspired to make my vase look like spatterware (or speckleware or splatterware), which is a blue enamel finish that has white splatters all over it. Check out these new splatter ware dishes to see what I'm referring to :http://www.norbysonline.com/cgsinspen.html

Here's another example of a spatterware plate:
And a big pot:
And a whole set of spatterware:
Okay, I'm going to start coloring my image and I'll get to the spatterware part in a little bit. First as I've shown before, I start by making a palette of Copic colors. I choose my colors in groups of three (just how Papertrey sells Copics) and scribble a little of each color onto scrap cardstock. Now I have a visual reference of my colors.
I started out by coloring the leaves first of the pretty vase full of sunflowers. I used three shades of greens in YG93, YG95 and YG97.
Next up was the sunflowers. I shaded them in colors of Y32, Y35 and Y38.
Using a mix of E55, E57 and E59, I then colored the centers of the sunflowers. You'll see on my finished card that I went back in with a white gel pen and added some dots to the brown centers to resemble sunflower seeds.
Now for the really exciting part of my colored image...the spatterware vase! I used Copic colors of B95, B97 and B99 to shade the vase in blue. I left a big white spot which is where light would be hitting the vase. Once I had my vase shaded the way I wanted, I took my white gel pen and scribbled little spatters all over. While the white ink was still wet, I smudged the speckles with my finger tip. My vase now resembles spatterware!
I then set aside my colored image and moved on to the card design. For my background papers, I created one custom made background using Guidelines and Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening and Summer Sunrise inks. Second, I chose the Ripe Avocado Green Tea Leaves patterned paper and for my third paper, I chose a sheet of In Bloom patterned paper in Enchanted Evening. To keep in line with my spatterware theme, I took white acrylic craft paint and splattered my paper. Voila, custom made spatterware patterned paper!!
Lots more fun elements to my card, including this string of buttons. I simply threaded Rustic Twine through the buttons and spaced them out to fit on my card. One button has a snippet of Summer Sunrise Swiss Dot ribbon to match up with the sunflower colors.
And here's my finished card. I layered my colored image with Spellbinder's Rectangle Nestabilities and Scalloped Rectangle Nestabilities die templates. The rest of the card background features different blocks of my patterned papers and the string of buttons. The sentiment along the bottom is featured in Autumn Abundance along with some other very unique sentiments.
And here's a close up of my colored vase of sunflowers. I used Ranger Glossy Accents on my vase to give it shine. This really makes the spatterware come to life as it gives it that realistic enamel coating that is common with spatterware pieces.
So I hope you enjoyed my post today. Autumn Abundance is a terrific match with your Copics. Stay tuned because I'll be adding more and more Copic tips as we go along!

66 comments:

Melissa said...

This is gorgeous! Love the blue and yellow combo!

MarieL said...

Michelle you amaze me with all your fun creations. I miss it if you don't post for a day or more. Thanks for the terrific tutorial

Renee V. said...

Michelle... You are BRILLIANT! Thank you for the idea and tutorial on how to do this! I cannot wait to try it out myself!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous colouring! I love what you did with the Glossy Accents too - Debbie Olson told me that's what she used on her cute apple yesterday. I wasn't aware of this product before but boy do I need to get some now! :)

Jo R. said...

Aaaawww, you're one clever cookie! Your card is fantasticAnd who would have thought that smudging on purpose could look so good?

Debbie Olson said...

Mish--fabulous job on your spatterware--I LOVE it!

Amy lee said...

I believe that I need to start following you through the stores & your shopping. LOL! I love the papers you are always using, especially this blue! Beautiful!

Taheerah said...

This looks so stunning Mish, you've really outdone yourself!!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow Mish! This is fabulous! Thank you for the wonderful instructions and inspiration! Now, can you please give me instructions on how to explain to my DH how much I NEED to get this?

Pink Blossom Creations said...

Absolutely beautiful. Love all your inspirations and creations.

Caroline x

Cammie said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Love it, love it, love it. Thanks so much for this great tutorial. (I have a set dark green metal speckled dishes I love use on the screened porch in the fall and winter. Yes, I set the table even when it's too cold eat outside.)

Carolyn Mustopa said...

Oh geez! There just aren't words to describe how gorgeous this card is! Every single detail is just breathtaking. I am in awe of your talent once again.

Catherine Couch Doucette said...

I love splatter ward! Great job...I'll have to remember your technique!

Janelle said...

So beautiful, Michelle. You, Nichole, and Debbie may turn me into a colorer yet! Love your card, great tutorial.

Harriet said...

This card is gorgeous....your coloring is perfect and the colors you put together are more than perfect....thanks for showing us the details in the coloring.....

CherylQuilts said...

Gorgeous, Michelle! I have some of this porcelain ware...definitely need this set! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I love everything you do, but this card is just AMAZING!!!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

WOW! Love the card, but the techniques are awesome! I love Spatterware too. I like the yellow and green.

patriciad said...

Wow! LOVE that spatterware idea, you clever little devil!

Anonymous said...

Really Cool!! But tell me why do you use three colors to color let's say the leaves.. why not just one color?


Susan

Julia Aston said...

Wow - this spatterware technique is just super Mish! Love the wonderful look of this creative card!

Lisa_in_AR said...

Love it! The button idea is great! Why didn't o think of that?

Deanna said...

Gasp.... love it!

Erin said...

The white splatter on the blue print paper is fab! Your card rocks.

Julie Campbell said...

You are a girl after my own heart! I LOVE this project of yours!!! PERFECTION!

Juls said...

gorgeous! I love how you have shown us your inspiration!

huntla1 said...

Your work is always fabulous, but in my mind this card goes well beyond fabulous. The background papers, layering and then your coloring all add up to one beautiful card. It really struck me if you can't tell.

Chriss Blagrave said...

Pure genius! Love this technique and I am really looking forward to the new release!

Tricia T said...

I'm speechless.

Holly said...

Hi Michelle

Every day I look forward to see ,which beautiful card you made(,and read your tutorial.)
I really love your style.
This card is so beatiful again,just love the effect on the pitcher ,and paper.

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

All I can say is 'wow'. Gorgeous project and excellent post. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

connie said...

This is beautiful (as always!) I love the way you did the buttons.

Carol R said...

Your card is beautiful. Thank you for all the detail instructions on how you made it.

Karen said...

Simply gorgeous. Your color combinations are fantastic. Love the spatterware idea, it looks great.

dolcreations said...

Holy smokes Mish...this is amazing. I love how you showed where your inspiration came from and then you showed us step by step. Thank-you so much for that. Great learning tutorial! Wow!
Christine

starsandcards55 said...

again, your talent and creativity amaze me! seeing your work with the copic markers may give me the courage to try them.... i love to check out what you are doing - thanks for all the inspiration!

Maureen V said...

Mish, I always love your samples, but this may be the single most gorgeous card I have ever seen ... wow. Now I totally want this set

Anonymous said...

What an incredibly gorgeous card! Love all the details!

Melisa Hunter

Sally Watkins said...

So many ways to use different products and find inspiration around you. Love this post!

Betty Wright said...

Gorgeous splatter detailing and design, Michelle!!! Beautiful finished card!!!

Michelle Quinno said...

Wow, that is stunning!!

Sharon R said...

I don't comment nearly often enough to let you know how much I enjoy you blog. It is the first one I look at each day and really miss you on days you don't post!! I know you have a life tho!! hehe
Thanks for all your inspiration!!

Cindy H. said...

So lovely, Mish!! I like how you created the Splatterware, too. Great tips!

Patty J said...

Beautiful design of card - and gorgeous image too.

Vina said...

This card is stunning! I love how you created the splattered style. Thank you for sharing your techniques..I always leave your blog inspired!

Stef Perry said...

You are amazing! All the elements to this card are wonderful. And that new stamp set...I'm drooling over it, especially after seeing your creation.

Basement Stamper said...

As always, absolutely amazing!!! Love your creations and your mixture of paper!

Annheidel said...

Very, very cute! Thanks for giving instructions so we can recreate it. :)

Troy Louise said...

Thanks for the great instructions on the splatterware effect. You are really amazing.

Kristie Larsen said...

that spattering is brilliant! love the card. absolutely beautiful!

Sherrie said...

You know I am on your blog all the time Mish...but I had to comment today in particular. I love how you photograph elements from real life and interpret it into the world of copics....your spatterware is perfect! Great job as always!

Denise Young said...

Amazing work! Love your style and your tutorials.

Linda said...

Love it. I might have to get the enchanted evening paper after all. You are amazing.

Jean Franks Beck said...

WOWZA, this is gorgeous!!! Thanks SO MUCH for the detailed coloring tutorial (LOVE when you do that! :)) This card is beautiful in every detail!

Brooke said...

Your cards are always so beautiful! I love how you show what you have used for your inspiration, and carry it through everything! Just beautiful! I am always wowwed by your cards, even when they are not quite my style, you are such a talented artist!

Mamareebs said...

That is the cutest card!!!

Helen F. said...

Mish, thank you so much for the tutorial and great explanation of your coloring technique! This looks like an awesome set from the sneak peeks~looking so forward to see the entire set.

Tonya said...

Mich, As usual.... Gorgeous!

Chrisd said...

WOW... great tutorial and so easy to follow...
I wish I had some copics to try it out. I'm keeping a notebooks of ideas and this is a keeper!
Love that spatterware!

Dina said...

This card is awesome! I've been slowly collecting some copics to try out and this spatterware card really motivates me...thanks for the inspiration!

Peggy Sue said...

Love all your projects. You are truely blessed with a great talent. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Wendi said...

My mouth has just hit the ground! You are amazing!

Shari said...

Love this card, it's gorgeous!

Charmaine said...

Wow...I love everything about this card! The colors are great together.

Charmaine

Margarita Ybarra said...

OMG! Your card looks just like the real thing. You are so talented. How do you come up with ideas like that???

Amy Rohl said...

Squealing with delight! I always appreciate seeing your steps-in-creating and your inspiration pieces, thanks for sharing with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails