August 24, 2009

Mum's the word...

If there's one flower that defines the Fall season for me, then mum's the word! Chrysanthemums to be exact. My dad just brought over this rusty, spiral, tiered plant stand that was my grandmother's. It was like a Christmas present to me! Dad and I both thought that some nice fall mums and perhaps some pumpkins from the garden would look great in Grandma's plant stand. I can't wait!

So today, I found some fabulous photos for you...straight from my inspiration files of online photos. Here's some beautiful yellow mums. And how about these.....would you say Berry Sorbet? Or Melon Berry?
Or mix and match 'em, I think all colors look great together.
Here's some tiny mums mixed in with some beautiful, creamy, dreamy spider mums.
And these beauties mixed in with some peachy/salmon colored roses are what inspired my color choices for today's projects. What a beautiful, simple arrangement!
And talk about Autumn Abundance, look at this awesome bucket full of mum and fall gourds and apples. Be still my heart!
And leave it to Martha to have something good too:

I couldn't be more inspired! There's nothing like a photo or visual to get the creative juices flowing. Remember to cut out photos from magazines, take photos of your surroundings and google stuff like crazy. There's lots and lots of inspiration to be found, you just have to look for it.

Today, I'm going to be using Nichole's beautiful Autumn Abundance stamp set, in particular the mums. But first, I wanted to create some beautiful background papers. I stamped Melon Berry and Lemon Tart ink onto pieces of 2008 Bitty Dots Basics patterned paper. I'm reaching for this dotty paper more and more, I love it! I thought this little flower from Everyday Classics (PTI Aniversary stamp set) was very mum looking.
Next up was coloring Nichole's beautifully illustrated mum image. Here's my lineup of Copic Sketch colors.
If you zoom in close on the photo below, you can see that I used a variegated color scheme for my mums. The dark red(R59) was in the center with an orangey color (R02) next to that, and then my yellows(the Y's) on the outside tips of the mums. Just gorgeous colors, I say! I used the neutral colors to make a stoneware looking vase. After I was done coloring, I used the Colorless Blender (0) to make dots on my vase...gives it a mottled look.

For the oval shadow, I stamped the oval image from Everyday Classics with Spring Moss ink...first masking my vase off with Eclipse Masking Tape. Images were cut and embossed with a Spellbinder's Labels 1 Nestabilities die template. A length of pretty Summer Sunrise Swiss Dott ribbon finishes off the card fronts.
For my sentiment, I placed it on my clear block in a curved line then stamped it along the curve of the Labels 1 die edge. Cool!
And don't forget the buttons, the beautiful Vintage Buttons! I used one each of Lemon Tart, Melon Berry and Scarlet Jewel to reflect the three colors in my colored mums. Rustic Cream Twine finishes off the buttons. A Fiskars edge punch was used on the Lemon Tart cardstock for some added detail. Card bases are Kraft cardstock.
And here's my finished creations. Such beautiful colors, these are so pretty!!
So should I start stalking my greenhouse for potted mums yet? I cannot wait to decorate my porch for Fall now! I'll keep this beautiful summer weather......just give me some mums though and I'll be a happy camper!!

33 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Michelle, this is gorgeous. I'm waiting to receive this wonderful set, and I can't wait to try this layout...I love it!

Janelle said...

Love this post. Gorgeous cards, inspiring photos. Now, I'm eagerly awaiting fall, too!

Patti J. said...

How pretty! What a nice post this a.m.! Your cards are amazing, as always, and your photo's rock too! Now I am just anxious to see a picture of the spiral rack! Have a great day!

patriciad said...

Oooohhh, aaaahhh, can't wait to see how you decorate your grandmother's plant stand. What a score! Love the dotted paper with the dotted ribbon. Soooo freakin' cute! Have a great week.

cynthia said...

Oh how I love mums too.I bought some already and placed them on my porch.I was ready to get rid of those summer flowers and replace them with mums.I just love your card and your blog is #1 I check it daily.can't wait to see the plant stand when your done.I know it will great.

Karen said...

I love the colors you chose for this card!!I have to get my hands on this set, it is so pretty. Can't wait to start back to work. Anyways, I love all the fall pictures you shared with us also. Thanks.

dolcreations said...

Here I am checking out your beautiful work first thing in the morning before I am off to take a copics/lyras course! You have inspired me so much! These cards are just gorgeous!
Christine

Dottie K. said...

Stunning! Love the photos and those colors. I love the colors of fall. You'll have to take a photo and show us your plant stand all decorated. Have a great day! :)

Debra said...

Just beautiful.I love fall, it is my favorite season, but I am NOT ready yet!! Our summer was short and very cool.Winters are LOOOOONG in Iowa, so I can wait!!Thanks for the inspiration Mish.

yvette said...

Mish what gorgeous cards and I love fall too but I will have to live through what you share since I am here in South Fla in 96 degree weather. Have a great day and thanks again

Maryjo said...

Your cards are stunning! What talent you have...thank you so much for sharing them!I especially love the mums!

Mary Jo

Karen said...

Beautiful cards. Fabulous colors. When you said you used the oval from Everyday Classics, I couldn't remember there being an oval and then I realized it was for the bird. How do you come up with these ideas? Genious.

Jingle said...

These cards are beautiful! You really did a great job of capturing your inspiration!

Cindy H. said...

These cards are soooo beautiful!! Your coloring is just perfect, as always! Love the image, the lovely ribbon and sweet buttons.

Melissa said...

Wow! You are so talented! I love the colors you have used and mums remind me of fall too!

Unknown said...

Wow, gorgeous patterned paper again! You should market that stuff! :-) I've really got to dig out my stuff and give it a try...

Juls said...

great cards! lovely to see tour inspiration! love the ribbon fab!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous cards :)

Love your posts.

http://www.mumstop.com

BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL Michelle.. I just LOVE to visit your blog.. you INSPIRE me EVERYTIME!! :)
I AGREE Mums it is.. cant WAIT to see your porch all decked out for fall!!
have a GREAT day!

Margaret Anne Clark said...

This is lovely. I have just bought this set and am so excited to get my inky little paws on it. Your cards are v lush so I look forward to trying some of your ideas ! Thanks Mish ! xx

Lueyes said...

Michelle, I am just amazed at you. Each day I look forward to your blog and am astounded at how you manage to come up with so many new and creative ideas. Today is a real winner!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful color choices! They are perfect for fall as are the stamps and paper. Fall is definitely in the air here in Colorado Springs.

C Burke

Anonymous said...

Mish,

This is fabulous. Love the colors.
I never thought about stamping on the polka-dot paper! Who knew?!?! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Sigh, must have that set too. Your coloring and style are so amazing and inspriational, just WOW.

Ann said...

Oh these cards are just gorgeous! I absolutely love Chrysanths and the best thing about them for me is the smell - I like to bury my nose in them. Don't know why but its one of those smells from my childhood - suppose because my Dad grew them.....

K said...

I just love your cards! Thanks so much for always showing us how you can make multiple cards. I bet it doesn't take much more time and then you have a bigger card stash. Just beautiful cards and I love how you put your inspirational pictures in the post also.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

WOW!! Your cards are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing Martha's link too. I love the centerpiece!

Molly B said...

Beautiful! Love the way you did the vase and the shadow.

Tami McBeain said...

Love your beautiful cards Mish! I love mums, your color combo works perfectly and your inspiration photos are great! Can't wait to see your Grandma's plant stand all decorated for fall!

Otava said...

I love how you show the process that goes on BEFORE you actually get around to colouring...very helpful! TFS!

Kathy V. said...

Once again, you've come up with a great card that leaves me saying, "why didn't I think of that?" You're ability to "see" possibilities everywhere is so amazing and inspirational. I doubt I would have ever tried stamping on patterned paper without you leading the way. And who'd of thought of using the wing of a bird to create a shadow for a pitcher? And your color combinations are spectacular!

And I can't forget to mention how engaging your writing style is. Although we've never met, I feel like I'm reading a dear friend's blog.

Thank you Mish. You're the best!

Gerri K said...

Mish, These cards are beautiful!!! I love the colors and the way you stamp on the bitty dot paper to make a background... Awesome!! Your blog starts my day off with a smile, every day! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great cards Mish. Is that a SU stamp set by the way? I loved how the sentiment curves jus tlike on the labels 3 and your mums on the background, terrific idea! thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails