April 26, 2010

Burst 0'Lemon Muffins

Hey, how about this late night posting? Lots to do so I'm burnin' the midnight oil. By special request, I'm posting the lemon muffins that were in this post. I had to make up a cute little recipe card...and it had to be yellow....and just full of cheery accents....because that's what lemon muffins are....cheery! And yummy.
I love making recipe cards because they're like tiny 4" x 6" scrapbook pages. There's a tiny area to add embellishments so it's quick....but oh so fun to find just the right little something that works. For my recipe card I used JustRite's Recipes Borders and Centers stamp set. And good for you, it's on sale this month along with all the 1-3/16" stamps. The rest of my recipe card uses paper from The Girls Paperie along with circle punches, Prima flowers and brads from Cindy's shop...StarLitStudio.

Here's the recipe for you to copy & paste or print. Recipe from Taste of Home 2000 Annual Recipes. Note: I added about two teaspoons of poppy seeds to my recipe, totally optional. And this recipe was a little dry, I had to a little bit of milk to moisten the dough mixture up a bit. It's still a sticky dough that you have to spoon into the muffin tins. I doubled my recipe. Oh, and it fill the tins more than 2/3 full...my muffins had big ol' muffin tops....which are Jordan's favorites. Every time we'd go to grab a muffin, the muffin tops were missing!! These are best eaten warm, on the first day. :) Oh, and use only fresh lemon juice from real lemons. That stuff in the bottle is gross.

Burst o’Lemon Muffins

1-3/4 cups flour

¾ cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon baking soda

1//4 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 (8 oz) lemon or vanilla yogurt

1/3 cup butter melted

1-2 T grated lemon peel

1 T lemon juice

½ cup flaked coconut

Topping:

1/3 cup lemon juice, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup toasted coconut

Combine flour, sugar, b. powder, soda & salt. In another bowl, beat yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel & juice til smooth; stir into dry ingredients til moistened. Add coconut. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 400 for 18-22 min. In saucepan, cook lemon juice & sugar til sugar dissolves. Stir in coconut. Using toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon topping over muffins. Makes 1 dozen.

Edit: No need to send me emails that I misspelled sugar on my recipe card. My spell checker didn't catch it and neither did my 40 year old eyes til I pasted the recipe into my blog post. :)

Edit #2: A viewer wrote "I hate coconut...so do you think they would still be good without it?" *gasssssppppp* Be careful how you talk about the coconut....it's a personal fave. But if you don't dig it....the muffins would be fine. How 'bout a few white chocolate chips on top just for pretties? Seriously. You don't like coconut?

24 comments:

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

these sound amazing I can't wait to make them!!!

Unknown said...

Cute receipe card Michelle. You always make the cutest cards, makes me want to make some! I hate coconut...so do you think they would still be good without it? I LOVE anything lemon. I think I will try them out minus the coconut! thank you for sharing!

Scrappin' Cat!-Cathy said...

You are so right. Your recipe card is a beautiful mini scrap book page...work of art! Thanks for all the beautiful inspiration.

Jeanne said...

The recipe sounds great and what a wonderful recipe card. Wouldn't this be cute to include with some muffins packaged together. I am certain that the coconut adds to the moisture content....some may not even know they were eating it. Thanks again for sharing.

Priscilla Heistad said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Joyce across the Pond said...

Thanks for the recipe.....going to try these and we LOVE coconut....I presume you mean plain flour which doesn't have any raising agent in in to start with? This is the U.K....I do have a set of 'cup' measurers so ok with measuring the butter and the other ingredients.
I shouldn't be eating them either but will have to try one of course.

Antje said...

Mouth watering - that sounds really good... will give it a try!! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

I actually made lemon muffins last night (before reading this post) and they didnt turn out so good, maybe because I used lemon juice instead of Lemon yogurt. I'll try yours now! Mine also had white chocolate. They tasted ok, but they just wouldn't come out of the paper cases right.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Kely x

dolcreations said...

Thank-you Thank-you for this wonderful recipe! I just love the recipe card too! I am off to make some muffins today!!!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

You rock Michelle, thanks for honoring my request for the recipe. Have a great day!!

milkshake007 said...

I was so hoping you would share your recipe. The muffins look sooo yummy. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks so much and love all your beautifully made projects!!

Kathy V. said...

I too HATE coconut, I never use it. In fact our whole family will ask, Is there coconut in this? But thanks for sharing the recipe, and the tip to add white chocolate chips. I'll give it a try and tweek it a bit. (Without coconut).

Brandie said...

Michelle! I love your recipe cards so much- I am inspired to make my own- but put them on rings and cover them with laminate because I am SUCH a messy baker! I have a question- is that your handwritting or a special font? If it is your handwritting- it's amazing! And you should make a font out of it ;) If it is a font already- what's it called? thanks for your blog!

Donna K said...

The muffins sound so yummy and the card is darling. I like the fonts you use on your recipe card - are they available for download somewhere? (I assume that isn't handwritten but maybe I'm wrong)

maggiemeow said...

Going to try these over the weekend, some with and without the coconut. How many muffins will one recipe make? Thanks, Michelle!

Debbie R. said...

I like your recipe card and plan to make your muffins for a bake sale at church this Sunday. Are you still planning a copic tutorial? I'm good at buying copics, but not so good at coloring with them! Thanks for sharing!

kksb said...

Beautiful recipe card.
I also have a question... It looks like you wrote the instructions. What kind of pen did you use???
If you printed it, what font and where did you get it?
Thanks.

I love coconut!!

nancy said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. The day you posted the gift basket, I had tried to leave a comment, but had issues (with me not the computer) so the comment never made it to your blog. In that comment, I had asked for the recipe and wrote how fabulous the basket was. Love the amber tea cups. Hope that you brought in some good money for your church.

You must have the most gorgeous recipe box ever.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe!!
Ask and we shall receive!
Much appreciated :)

Lynn said...

thanks for sharing all your creative ideas! I need to take something to a brunch this weekend so I will try the muffin recipe. can't wait to taste!

Tami McBeain said...

Oh thanks for sharing the recipe with us, they looked so yummy! I have to agree with the person who posted that they didn't like coconut...please don't hold it aginst me! :) Adding the white chocolate chips sounds like the perfect substituion!

Unknown said...

Just finished making your recipe! So delicious, thanks for sharing!!

A Crafty Person said...

thanks so much for the recipe. I wanted this after I saw your basket pic. and I love lemon and coconut.

mary said...

these will be perfect with the lemons from my meyer lemon tree. always looking for good lemon recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails