July 25, 2009

Cucumber Salsa

Edit: You can read about Rotel HERE. It's a canned good found with the canned tomatoes. It's chopped tomatoes and chilies....with different levels of heat. Have you guys never had classic Rotel dip with Velveeta in the crock pot??? Salsa mix is in a pouch and is a dried mix of spices and dried vegetables. You mix it with tomatoes. Look in the canning section or possibly the aisle with all the packets of dried mixes. Someone asked if you could substitute tomatoes...sure, you can switch up the recipe any way you like. :)

Another question about envelopes......no, I don't make my own. I use Papertrey envelopes and recently my local scrapbook store has started carrying colored envelopes. I usually use the A2 size. Hope that helps.

I love collecting and sharing...and tasting....new recipes. I'm always on the look out for new recipes so I was very, very happy when my sister Karen told me about her Cucumber Salsa. I have picked buckets of cucumbers so far this summer and was in dire need of a recipe other than cucumbers and onions splashed with vinegar.

Cucumber Salsa to the rescue! I immediately tried the recipe and it was a hit! My sister warned me that everyone would want the recipe when they try it. Yep, it's true...I've already given the recipe to my mom and Eric's aunt.

Since it was a definite *keeper* recipe as we call them, I just had to make a recipe card. And Just Rite has scored big time with me with their new stamp set called Preserves Borders and Centers. The little basket of goodies that I colored with Copics has peppers, onions and cucumbers peeking out, perfect for my Cucumber Salsa recipe! The borders that go with the Preserves set are fabulous too. These stamps also make the cutest tags. I could easily see this being made into a tag to tie onto a basket of fresh garden goodness. Or in my case, I could slap it on the Walmart sack filled with veggies that I send with Eric every day to work. ;)

For the rest of my card, I used patterned paper from a new division of Daisy Bucket called Shabby Green Door. My local scrapbook store, Scrapbooks, Etc in Topeka, Ks, carries the goodies along with the Just Rite stamps. Recipe is printed on grid paper from Papertrey Ink (see left sidebar for recipe fonts). I used a Copic black multiliner to outline the recipe portion. Image is cut with Spellbinder's Circle Nestabilities die template and layered onto a Spellbinder's Picking Nestabilities die template. Here's the recipe for you to copy/print. Note: The salsa mix comes in a variety of brands. You can find it in the canning section at Walmart or possibly in the aisle with the dry mixes. I added a few extra cucumbers and some fresh tomatoes to mine because my salsa mix was pretty concentrated.

Cucumber Salsa
4 cucumbers (chopped, peeled & seeded)
1 salsa mix pouch (about 2-3 T)
2 cans Rotel, mild
1 Tablespoon dry Ranch Salad Dressing mix
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
cilantro, if desired

Mix all ingredients together and chill several hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.

Enjoy! I must go make some more of this now. It's best if it sits a while...just in time for me to get more tortilla chips tomorrow while in town.

16 comments:

katrynka said...

Hi, I have lots of cucumbers to use as well, so I'd like to try this. The one problem is that I do not like really hot things. Do you think perhaps I should substitute some diced tomatoes for the rotel?

Thanks!!

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

This sounds AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so call me ignorant...what is Rotel? I'm ready to give it a try.
Thanks for all your inspiration!

Gabriela said...

Oh Mish - yur recipe card is precious. I love it and your photography. Fabulous!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

sounds yummy! I will have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing!

Jill said...

OMG, I love salsa! But what is a salsa mix pouch? Something I pick up in the seasoning section at the grocery store? Thanks for one of the very best card blogs out there!

BethieJ said...

YUM!! I so need to make this one up too!!! :) Thanks for sharing!

PAM FREDRICKSON said...

Wonderful card...great receipe but what is Rotel????? I am from Canada and never heard of it? Keep those receipes coming Mish I love them......thanks so much

MarieL said...

Hi Mish,
like everybody else I bought what I could find but don't know about the salsa mix or the Rotel.....
H E L P. I was thinking if Rotel may be a canned salsa????? Even asked a hispanic lady in the store.
Please help us!!!!!!
Oh love all your wonderful cards and can't wait to see what you have to show us every day. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Mish for always taking time to share such fun ideas and recipes with us. I was wondering if some time you wouldn't mind discussing how you use envelopes with your cards? Do you buy bulk and if so, where? do you make them and if so, if giving a set of cards as a gift, how does the recipient close the envelope? Can you tell I am new to cardmaking - thought I'd go to the master for some answers!!!Thanks for allowing your blog to be part of my day.

Kari D said...

I must admit that I have never heard of salsa mix, but I will now go on a scavenger hunt for it (Wegmans, beware!). This sounds wonderful. THANKS so much for sharing!

Tasha said...

Great recipe card!

Andrea said...

I LOVE your recipe cards SO much - and the recipes always sound delic!!! If you made 2 (or 3) recipe cards each time you made 1 you would have a spectacular Christmas gift for your mother or a girlfriend... or a item for your daughters' hope chests. Or a FABULOUS blog candy ;)

April said...

If we wanted to share a recipe with you, where would we send it?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for the recipe. Can't wait to give it a try with my ever growing cucumber plant. Tamara

ellepaulette said...

Oh! This recipe sounds soooo yummy! Thanks for sharing this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails