June 21, 2010

Watering cans, mailboxes and shopping cart...

Okay, here's another round of my auction finds. Oh gosh, is this fun or what? My sister left on Sunday and she stopped by an antique mall in Wichita, Kansas. They were having a contest for the best patriotic decorated booth. Oh come to mama....how I love patriotic decorations. So I'm going to show you my finds from the auction...and then some photos that Karen took of similar items. I want to hate her for going there without me. But I don't.

Okay first up is my shopping cart. I actually call them flea market carts. I had to have one a while back and searched and searched. I found one on Etsy with a vintage lining for $65 bucks plus the shipping. I now own it. This one below, I got at out weekend auction for a buck. Oh boy, did it come in handy. Karen and I decided that it needs a fabric liner because small items kept falling out. A beer flat in the bottom did work pretty good though. And I tied my tote to the handle which held my water bottle, phone, etc. I definitely need to *granny* this cart up.
Here's one my sister saw at the antique mall. It has red lining.
And a price tag of $42 bucks! I got a heck of a deal on mine. You can buy these new (all shiney and non vintage) online for like $30 bucks. I'd hold out for the real deal though.
Next up is this white, shabby mailbox. Mail goes in the top and a newspaper goes on the hooks. Nothing we don't already know. However, living in the country most of my life, the mail is stuck in a mailbox at the end of the driveway. But when my mail lady brings boxes, she'll leave those on the porch....and she puts my regular mail in the mailbox. I thought if I had a mailbox at the door, she could now leave my letters and such too. I love it. I haven't asked the hubster if he's willing to screw holes through the siding. I think I can sweet talk him into it though. He's a melty snowman with a little sweet talkin'.
I'm thinking it needs to go right above my old chair with the petunias. I can hang stuff from the two hangers where the newspaper is supposed to go.
My sister(the one I want to hate for getting to see all these goodies up close and personal without me) snapped this photo of a cutie, white, shabby mailbox. I love the flags. Need to put those on my list...then soak them in tea for a day to vintage them up. This one was $12. I got mine for a buck.
Ohhhhh the watering cans. These go for really high around here. I made a splurge and got these three for $20 bucks for all of them. I really wish they had the spouts but I know they would have been pricier. I might try to find some on Ebay. I found out the front can has holes and doesn't hold water. It's going to become a planter. The other two I will use for actual watering cans. Of course Libby was curious.
Maybe I can decorate my non-usable watering can like this one below. Isn't the red can so pretty with flowers and flags. Swoon. I must get out my patriotic decorations.
Okay, there ya have it. I have more to show you this week so stay tuned. We're off to the dreaded Walmart for much needed groceries. Don't worry, we checked the forecast!

21 comments:

Kim G said...

I love all your finds!! Would like to see you two in action at an auction!! Sounds like you have such a great time, enjoy!!

debbie said...

Thanks for sharing your great finds!

Donna K said...

Fun finds! just wanted to pass on something about the watering cans. First, I know my kitty is crazy but what can you do - I love her anyway. I had a similar watering can in the house and she was licking it. I noticed after a day or so she was really lethargic. I put it outside and she perked up again. I think it was from licking the watering can and ingesting that aluminum. So just keep an eye on Ms. Libby.

Unknown said...

I can't believe shopping carts go for so much!! I grew up in NY and EVERYONE had one or two ... I still have 3!! Moving out of NY, I discovered no one had one cause everyone drives!!LOL I would never part with mine.

Love all your finds!

Kathi said...

Just love seeing all your finds...don't ever stop showing all your things along with your cards!

emarci said...

First of all, I love your projects!I am in awe of your creativity! Second, I would give a couple of new sets of stamps and some reinkers to be able to go to the auctions with you and your sister. I don't have any friends here who understand my obsession with thrift stores and freecycle. Keep updating the great finds! Thanks!

Patti J said...

So much fun!!! I'm so tickled that you blog about your auctions. It's exciting to see what you bring home! Can't wait to see more (would LOVE to see your decor inside!!!)! Take care :)

Katie said...

What great finds! I love the watering cans the most, I think. I need to find me some flags and flowers!

LindaC said...

Michelle, do you have access to an old-timey hardware store? They may have spouts for your cans. If you don't have a store, email me and I will check ours. It's a great store with lots of odds and ends. You made some great finds!
LindaC

cummings37128@comcast.net

patriciad said...

Ooooh, ahhhhh, cute stuff for sure! Sometimes I think we're twins separated at birth! I love all the same stuff you do. Be sure you update the picture of the cart once you do your lining, which I'm sure will be perfection of the highest degree!

dolcreations said...

I so love your finds! You are just the sweetest story teller ever! I LOVE IT!!! I am so jealous of the mailbox!!!LOVE IT!!!

Alice said...

thanks for sharing your great finds!! what awesome deals you got! can't wait to see more!!

Jessie said...

Love all your cool finds!! I have a watering can on my deck similar to yours I think a paint job like the one in your sister's picture maybe what mine needs! Thanks for sharing!

Lin said...

Fun finds! Loved seeing all the pictures!

Kristy Hansenwi said...

I love your site and it is fun to see what you got on your journey. Your designs are what I wish I could do. they make me smile. thank you. kh

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Thanks for sharing your finds! I actually own what I call a 'granny cart'. Love it! Sure saves the back when carrying items. But I have never lined it! I'll think on that one. Wow! didn't know my dad's old watering can was worth so much. And I have the sprinkler part too. I love it because it reminds me of when he would use it in his gardening. The kids have orders NOT to sell it - ever! Just pass it around and share the love.

Cindy said...

Oh Mish, I wish we lived closer. I would be right there with you! I can't wait to see more of your finds. Hurry!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I love your auction goodies listed here. My birthday is the 6th of July and LOVE Patriotic decorating. I have an old watering can that has a hole and I'm thinking I need to decorate it up with some Patriotic decor.

I usually add geraniums to it, but think I'll add some flags and other goodies after being inspired buy the pics your sister took.

PS: I think you need to collaborate with Nichole on some designs for old mailboxes, watering cans....Ü

Jenn Copeland said...

Love it! I collect antique watering cans and would love to find 3 for $20! I agree about working on watering can stamp designs! Hee!

janet said...

I agree with everyone...all your goodies are wonderful...but I gotta tell ya...the minute I saw that little mailbox, I thought of planting it with some green variegated, hangy vine ...lol. I love all your work and look forward each day to reading your blog to see what.s next

Katie Skiff said...

I am screaming for joy - I started looking for one of these carts and found one today FOR FREE!!!! They were giving it away! AHHHHH...
Anyway, i wondered if you had a pattern for the inside, but I don't see one. Thanks for getting me hooked on these things!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails