June 25, 2010

More thrift store finds...

Edit: About wheelin' and dealin' with the antique shops/thrift shops. I don't ask at the thrift shops because usually the stuff is cheap enough. Antique shops have different booths usually and each owner has different policies. If you find something that is a bit pricey or you find a large item like furniture, the owner will usually take 10% or so off if you ask. I usually phrase it as *Is your price firm on this item?*......not *will you take less?*. It sounds better the other way. You never want to insult an antique person because they always think their stuff should bring more, not less. But as junkers, we always want more for less. It's all part of the thrill for the hunt. Good luck, peeps.

Well, the family is all off to World's of Fun and I'm just waiting til it's time for Dad and I to head to the airport. Thought I would share a few of my latest thrift stores finds.

First up are these wonderful tablecloths. I just can't resist them, especially when you find ones that have no stains. These will look so pretty on my white picnic table.
Vintage button cards. Be still my heart. I get wayyy excited when I find these little gems. I am especially fond of these creamy white buttons that are so dimensional. Oh how I love them! I need to get a basket to put my collection in.
Pyrex. Tried and true. Totally utilitarian. I didn't think I would cave but when I saw this olive green set with the flower garden pattern I could not resist. I have noticed at the auctions that Pyrex brings more than the fine dishes these days. The ladies nearly fight over it. I really think people are using the Pyrex as everyday dishware...not just a pretty dish to sit around. I think I might need more cupboard space. And any type of glass refrigerator dish like the bottom one comes home with me. I cannot resist.
And my most unique find was this wire drink holder. Isn't it retro and fun?!! It came with thee seven glasses.
But I also purchased four other glasses that I waited three times to the thrift shop before I bought them. They were still there so Jordan said we needed them. I mixed them in with the other pink glasses.....I love. Just think how fun my cranberry coolers will be in these out on the porch.
But wait. You know I can never leave well enough alone. I ran for the pint jars. Yep. Sure enough. They fit in the drink holder. Come to mama. Oh man, this makes my drink holder priceless now. Anything with compartments and dividers usually makes it's way home with me too. Oh, how about delivering homemade jellies in this little carrier. Move over Martha.
Ahhh. Such good finds. I dearly love sharing all my goodies with you. Like Forest Gump says, *Ya never know what you're gonna get*......when you go junkin'.

Have a great weekend friends! I have some posts ready to go for while I'm gone. Enjoy!

28 comments:

Andrea said...

Have a great trip. You've totally inspired me. I have a kid-free evening tomorrow and I'm going to check out the local antique shops (which I've never set foot in all of my life). I CAN'T WAIT!!! One question... do you try to make deals? Or do you pay what they're asking for???

Anonymous said...

This made me smile this morning...I love seeing all your treasures!

Patti J said...

I so love it when you go shopping!!! lol.... what fun!

milkshake007 said...

Wow.....I certainly would love to go thriftin' with you and your girls! You did score with those wonderful items! I found some small mason jars the other day....came home with my little purchase....washed them up and made some lemonade for the kids...put a slice of lime on the rim of the jars and served them up to the kiddos....they thought it was awesome!!
Thanks Mishie for all your heartwarming ideas!!
Have a safe trip.

kimmygt said...

I so love visiting your blog everyday. You are so inspiring and I am loving the thrift store finds. Wish we had some good thrift stores around here but no such luck. Thank you for sharing so much of your self and your family with us.

Michelle Tech said...

I haven't done much thrifting since we moved back home to the Black Hills from Omaha, but I LOVE to collect dishes! Blue bubbleglass, Currier & Ives, and PYREX, especially the refrigerator dishes! Good to see that I'm not the only addict!

Angela said...

Great finds! I totally grew up with the olive green pyrex -- and the corelle dishes that matched! Love your drink carrier...off to thrift!

Cathy Weber said...

Oh my gosh, I'm vintage! I have those same pyrex bowls from not sure how long ago. I wonder how "old" is something before it is vintage? Great finds with those pink glasses. I love them. Have fun in Phoenix.

Heather Rogers said...

You definitely hit the jackpot girl! I have considered many times buying one of those racks with the glasses. My grandma had those pyrex pieces. So funny to see them again. We have way too much in common. Too bad we don't live closer. :) Enjoy your goodies. I will just admire from here.

Carla G. said...

I love all your thrifting posts lately...in fact I've been into two different antique malls in the last week because of your inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Anne Tussing said...

Wow! You always find the best stuff!! Love those new glasses:)

Deirdre said...

Oh Mish,

The Pyrex we grew up with was plain old clear glass, would love to have your ones! Mind you, those same items are still going strong seventy years later. They were wedding presents given to my parents. Look forward to seeing what has crossed your path each day.

nancy said...

I love to see your treasures and learn of your plans for them. You even have me reconsidering my thoughts about thrifting for me personally. Love it for others. You see, I grew up with a lot of hand-me-downs, so I tend to buy new. (I've always related to the lyrics of 'Second Hand Rose,' and, yes, even my (ex) husband had been married before.) My daughter, on the other hand, who always had new items,loves her finds. She'll come home with a grocery bag filled with items from the Salvation Army store and shout, "Look at what I scored!" I used to think that those stores weren't meant for people like Brianna. Now, I congratulate her on her victories. Between Brianna's scores and your finds, I feel myself inching toward thrift shops to see what is waiting just for me. Enjoy your weekend with your dad.

Juli B said...

As someone else here put it-"heart warming" posts IS the word! That's just what they do and put fun in every day life with everyday things! I too have hit our local antique store and have scored a vintage blue mason jar with zinc lid half filled with buttons and two vintage button cards! Love it! Also an old milk carrier with some glass milk bottles in, then found enough others to fill the spaces. Have wanted one of those forever!I also unearthed all the jars I had and had some cute tiny mason jars, so I made pink Country Time Lemonade and stuck em in the freezer,stirring once in a while, till slushy frozen. The family loved them and they looked so neat all frosty pink! Pardon the long post!

Linda said...

Wow, you found some really good things. I especiall love the wire glass holder. You make me want to go to the thrift store. I had that Pyrex set at one time. Wonder what happened to it. Hmmmm!

Tami McBeain said...

Ack, you're killin' me with all your great finds! I suddenly have the urge to hop in the car and drive until I find an auction or antique shop! That drink holder is so fun, so unique! Have a great trip!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

oh my what fun finds! love the drink carrier!

Cheryl said...

If you need more green flowered bowls, go talk to my mom. She has that exact pattern. The plates and cereal bowls are white with little green flowers around the edge. Our whole world was olive green from 1970-whatever until at least 1986. I shudder.

Charlene Austin said...

That glass holder is AMAZING!! My friend would love your pyrex. I post my thrifty finds weekly on my blog with prices I paid. I'd love to see what prices your paying if you'd share that on posts. Sometimes that makes the thrill of the hunt even more fun!

Val said...

Amazing...When I got married in the early 70's my whole bridal registry was full of all that same pyrex pattern and dishes to match. I even had the avocado green stove, refrigerator and washer and dryer to match. I think I had everything that pyrex made in this pattern. Too bad I have no idea what ever happend to it. :( Now it's all considered vintage. Wow, I guess that makes me an antique :)

Have a safe trip!

Alice said...

i love it when you share your good finds!! love seeing them all! =)

Lemon Lane Studio said...

Wow, you made some great finds. I love, love that glass holder and your tablecloths are so pretty.

Katherine said...

Oh, I so miss the junk stores. I live in Seattle where you really don't find such great buys. There are so many antique dealers, that everyone knows when they have something great, and they price it that way. Going on a trip back east soon, you're making me want a trip to the junk store "real bad"!
Love, love, love the drink holder, but even more, the extra glasses you bought for it. Gorgeous!!

Thanks for the Vintage inspiration.

Sue Ann said...

Can I come visit you so I to can go on a treasure hunt. You always find the best stuff!!!

Kim G said...

Love your finds, especially the Pyrex bowl set. I got that olive green set as a wedding/shower present in 1975. I only have left the medium and small size. The medium is white with the green flowers. I NEED that bowl you have. Enjoy your trip!!

Cris Z. said...

Okay girls, I'm still using the olive green dishes, guess I'm an antique too lol! But I find great deals on pyrex at the Goodwills around here. Pyrex bowls for a couple of dollars. Now looking for a small blue pyrex bowl from a multi colored nesting set.

Denise Young said...

YOU FIND THE NEATEST STUFF. I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO YOUR LOCAL THRIFT STORES. THEY SEEM TO BE FULL OF NICE, SHABBY, RETRO JUNK.
I LOVE THE GLASSES AND THE SMALL CADDY- TOO CUTE. TOTALLY YOU.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY. ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND.

Karey said...

I have this set of 3 green and white & white and green bowls. I received them when I got married. Waited about 10 years to use them (had some others I liked better). Now they have been my every day mixing bowls for quite some time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails