June 20, 2010

At the auction with my sister...

My sister Karen and I hit the most awesome auction yesterday! It was almost 100 degrees but we stayed til the very last item sold. We kept making trips back and forth to the vehicle with all of our great finds. At the end, I ended up with a big item so we had to unpack every single item and repack. We barely fit into our seats. Our mission was to get back to my house, unpack my purchases and distribute them throughout the house and garage so that my pile didn't look so big. My sister....her pile was so big there was no disguising it. We were like Sanford and Son! In the photo below, my sister is sporting a Coca Cola drink carrier like you see at the baseball games. We had a good time with that last night while sipping on ice cold margaritas. (I hear you guys want my recipe, eh?)
Everything went really cheap. I couldn't believe the low bids. If I had a trailer, I would have went completely nuts at this auction. Below is a sign that I made Karen buy for her new shed. She's going to hang it proudly. About mid-way through the auction, I got this old wire shopping card for a buck. I had so many people stop and ask about it....I could have made a killing on these things! I scored lots of other goodies....you can see a peek at a blue jar below. I'll show you more goodies this week so stay tuned.
One of my favorite purchases was these green depression glass shakers. I always get outbid on these because they go for such a high price. Yesterday I knew they would come home with me. I was on a mishion.
I don't know what I'm going to put in them just yet but I think they look pretty snazzy with my flour and sugar jars. I have the green theme going on with the green glass measuring cup and the tin measuring cup with green wooden handle. Love.
I also got these green jar with no lid. It sparkles like new once I got it all washed up. It now holds my tea and coffee bags. Must have iced tea in the summer time. I just brought Eric a tall glass while he's tilling the garden. I love how he gulps it down and lets half of it spill down the front of his shirt. (Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there by the way)
I also got a bag full of button cards. Oh how I love these. My sister loved them too. We told the auctioneer that if he saw us in a cat fight over an item to just ignore us. He asked us mid way through the auction if we were still doing okay. Auction tip: Don't make chit chat about auction items with other auction attendees....everyone is your enemy until the biddin's over.
Okay, that's all my peeks for today. When I got home and got the mail yesterday, I had this wonderful package of Heather Bailey fabric waiting for me. I know I said I'd never buy new fabric again after all my wonderful vintage finds. I lied. I couldn't resist the beautiful colors. I ordered a purse pattern from Heather's website too. I'm hoping to have it done in time for CHA in July.
I'll leave you with one last auction tip for the day: Bring a water jug and lots of water bottles. Bring lots of ice to refill your water bottles. Bring some old tea towels to soak in cold water to put around your neck. These items were our life savers yesterday.

Good Lord it was hot standing there all day!! I got out early to plant some perennials in the flower beds this morning....but this afternoon it's all about air conditioning. Crank it up people.

20 comments:

linda said...

Love the green shakers! Just perfect for you. Glad you had a good time.

Lindsay said...

Love the finds Michelle! Awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with all the goods!

Jessie said...

Cool finds! Thanks for sharing!

Sue from Oregon said...

oh so much fun...years ago I used to go to an auction house every Sunday...with I knew then what I know now! I love depression glass. Those salt shakers would make great glitter shakers if they get moved out of your kitchen LOL! What fun!
Oh you could take frozen water bottles too if it was 100° again!

Kristy Hansenwi said...

how much fun you must have had. I wish I could have joined you because I love what you found. kh

Lavinia said...

I just loved this post! I was having a good giggle about everyone being your enemy at the auction! So funny! And you & your sis fighting over the shakers! How on earth did you get all the stuff in your home without your Hubby noticing how much you got? I love your blog & work! You inspre me & make me laugh! Great stuff.
Lavinia
x

Patti J said...

You go girls! What a haul!!! I'm both very impressed, and a wee bit jealous! Hope you and sis had a good day, and can't wait to see more photos!

Tami McBeain said...

Awesome finds, it sounds like you girls had a great day! Can't wait to see more of your haul!

**Treefrog** said...

Oh I just love a good Auction! I just stated going to them since we moved to KY a couple of years ago (moved from Las Vegas) my hubs and I just love to go and have got some Great finds also! (I love Yard sales too!) I'm always jealous of the goodies you get, especially the vintage things, those are always so special but love to see what you do with them. Have you ever been to the 127 yard sale, if not it's lots of fun, prices aren't as good as yard sales or auctions but you still can find some great deals at the out of the way places! Maybe we'll see you there this year! LOL!
((Hugs)) Theresa

Eveline said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Love the green glass shakers you found.
Eveline.

Alice said...

awww... super finds!!! can't wait to see what you do with them and those yummy fabrics!!

Kathleen said...

It has been years since I have been to an auction! So many fun memories you just revived for me. Enjoy your treasures!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

oooooohhh I love auctions like this! Way to go on all your finds. Can't wait to see what else you scored.

Debbie said...

Mish ... looks like you had quite the happy day!!! I {heart} those green s/p shakers tooooo! Lovely vintage finds -- enjoy all your STASH :)

Betsy said...

I wish I had your sense of humor...it is delightful and so are your creations. Your blog is a keeper!

Jenn Copeland said...

How fun! I love to hang with my sister! She is my best friend! Great finds! And yes, I want your margarita recipe!! Hee!

pam said...

Great finds !!! Your story reminded me of a local firemen's auction we went to a few years ago ... everything went for less than $3 so we couldn't help it. An old cast iron wood stove, an old rounded front fridge, a full size COKE cooler, and even more ... We loaded the truck up, tied it all down ... looked just like the Beverly Hillbillies !! But the best part was EVERY item came with a BIG bag of quince or squash ... Just what does one do with 50lbs of QUINCE ????

Verona said...

I love what you found. My sister and I lived near each other for a couple of years and had such fun shopping. A few years ago I pulled the buttons off old cards so they wouldn't take up so much room and now I'm kicking myself around the block!!! Who knew I'd become a scrapbooker/card maker and NEED them? (Growl)

Anonymous said...

I love what you do with all of your "finds". I find stuff but don't do anything with them when I get home. You are my number 1 blog and inspiration! Thank you for enriching our lives through yours!

Denise said...

Had to drop you a line and tell you I have the same cookie jar with the cover.It's been in the family for years. I'd DIE for the shakers!! I'll be going to the famous Brimfield Flea Market next month and will be scoping out the tables for some of my own!

Related Posts with Thumbnails