June 23, 2010

Friendship Jar with realistic water...

Settle in folks. I've got a whopper of a tutorial for you today. I've spent all morning preparing a two part tutorial for you. Part one is making realistic looking water for Friendship Jar. Part two coloring the flowers from Friendship Jar Fillers to look like white daisies. Here we go.

First, die cut the jar and stamp it with the jar stamp. Color around the edges with a Copic BG000 Sketch marker. It's light in the photo but you can still see it in real life.
Cut some Clearly Creative Cardstock to fit inside the jar outline. Using scissors, round the bottom corners and cut the top to resemble wavy water. Set the stamped jar image aside for now.
To create some fantastic, realistic water I'm going to use the Clearly Creative Cardstock piece I cut along with three colors of Copic Various Ink Refills. You can find Copic refills at Ellen Hutson's shop. Squeeze drops of the inks onto the clear cardstock.
Using a heat tool, move the colors around on the clear cardstock. As the ink begins to dry, it will go from looking shiny to a more matte color. Hold the heat gun about 10" from the clear cardstock. If it's not quite the look you want, add another drop or two of the lightest color and blend again with the heat tool.
When dry it looks like the photo below. The inky side will be adhered to the card front. The front will be totally shiny, like a real glass jar. So cool! Set this piece aside.
Next, take a piece of Rustic Cream cardstock and lay the stamped jar on top of it. Ink up the flower image and stamp it over the jar and onto the cardstock. You're stamping two pieces of paper at one time.
The flowers are on the base paper and the stems are in the jar.
Now let's start coloring. Use the Copic markers shown below to color the flower stems.
Us the Y Copic colors below to color the flower centers. If you zoom in, you can see that I have a little ink bleeding going on. That's okay.
I'm covering the bleeding up with my grey W Copic markers as shown below. Although the daisies are white, they need a little shading. The lightest of the grey Copics work great for this.
I want my daisies to pop off the page so I used a BG10 Copic marker to outline the white flowers. No blending, just outline the flowers. The color will fade a little as it dries. See how the daisies really pop off the paper and come to life?
Next up, it's time to assemble my card. The jar image with the flowers takes up the good part of an A2 size card. I chose three Papertrey patterned papers to use on the side of my card. They're cut 1" wide. I also adhered the clear cardstock piece to my flower colored piece using Hermafix adhesive. I chose a strategic spot that will be covered up with a tag. I also put a little under the darkest blue and it didn't show up. I added some machine stitching to the main image and then finished up my card using the Friendship Jar label stamp, dies and sentiments. The Tiny Tag is from my Etsy shop and was adhered with a pop dot and a Tim Holtz tiny staple.
Here's my beautiful finished card.
Complete with pretty, colored flowers...a glitter jar topper, fun sentiments and the swirly water on the jar. The shiny-ness of the clear cardstock is amazing in person!
And it wouldn't be complete without some fresh picked bloomers straight from the field near our house.
Just the tiniest bouquet of fresh cut flowers can brighten the day. Such a pretty little centerpiece...or a very thoughtful and one of a kind gift.
I hope you enjoy!

Tip: Try using yellow or pink ink refills to resemble fresh lemonade. How about a little red ink around the outside and then color the marbles to resemble eyeballs for Halloween. Use shades of green for my favorite margaritas or a jar of pickles. Or orange for fresh squeezed orange juice. Lots and lots of fun ideas to try.

25 comments:

Cathy Weber said...

This is gorgeous and I will be buying some copic refills next week at carpe diem. What colors of pink and yellow do you think would be good for the lemonade? Thanks so much for the great ideas. I never would have thought of using refills and a heat tool together! I think about jars all the time now.

Patti J said...

This is another amazing idea! Do you ever sleep??? lol.... You never cease to amaze me. Beautiful card, wonderful tutorial - thank you!!!

dolcreations said...

Oh this is gorgeous Michelle! I just ordered this set and can't wait to receive it from Mrs. Postie!!!! Where do you get such great ideas.....keep them coming!!!!

Unknown said...

Love this! I am ANXIOUSLY waiting for my order to get here so I can PLAY!

Mary said...

Perfect timing as I am just in the process of stamping a jar of pickles for this week's PTI Blog Hop! Thanks Mish!

Lorraine said...

Amazing! Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing your "techniques"!

Alice said...

this is so beautiful! thanks for the tutorial on making the realistic water look!

patriciad said...

Stop it right now!!! Are you kidding me??? You are a genius, girl.

Julie Campbell said...

I just had to tell you how much I LOVE reading your blog! Every time I see one of your auction finds all decked out... or one of your cute fabric projects... or one of your warm, mix-matchy cards -- I just feel all warm and fuzzy inside! You are speaking my language, girl... and I love it! Thanks for another wonderful post. :)

Linda said...

Wow!! I love what you've done with the "water." I got my mason jars stamp sets todday. Can't wait to "play" with them.

Vina said...

oooo..this is stunning! I'm so happy I bought this set & all the coordinating pieces. It arrived yesterday & it's my new favorite stamp set! Thanks for sharing this beautiful technique/tutorial!

Craft Crazy Carrie said...

This is just wonderful!!!

Anne Tussing said...

VERY cool effect!

Katie said...

Oh how fun is that!?!?!? I have this set just sitting and waiting for me to find some time...and mojo. Thanks for sharing!!!

Judy said...

Mish, thanks so much for this great posting. I just love so many stamping ideas that I see, but I'm very insecure when it comes to Copics and shading. The format of your step-by-step is perfect for me...I really appreciate the time it took to "snap" and show us all of the steps. Your jars are the greatest; I'm so glad I ordered the bundle...hope this is the first in a series of vintage goodies!!

Unknown said...

hello hello! boy oh boy have I missed your blog! Good to be back its been over a year! I see you have been doing some great thing!

Colleen Kramer said...

A-MA-ZING! As always a totally unique spin on these stamps. Thanks for all the info and directions. It's on my to-try list!

see mary stamp said...

Love the tutorials. That realistic water technique is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Eveline said...

Clever! Lovely card.
Eveline.

Tami McBeain said...

Great tutorial Mish! Love the daisys! And I love that cute little jar you have sitting on the tray with the flowers! I just got my PTI order yesterday and I'm going to play with it today!

Rachael said...

Adorable!! I *just* picked up my first couple of Copic Markers yesterday and I'm so excited to use them!

Holly Saveur said...

Hi Michelle
Love your card very much.
I don't have refills but want to try and make this card would distress ink work do you think?
I will go and try things thank you so much for your tutorial and all your wonderfull cards and other ideas
love them!

Quilter422 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quilter422 said...

that is brilliant!

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing card. Great tuturial!!

x

Related Posts with Thumbnails