December 2, 2009

Last Minute Holiday Gifts

EDITED FOR QUESTIONS:
1. Nope, I haven't made the cocoa recipes yet. Can't promise when I'll get around to that, just too much other stuff on my plate right now.
2. The inside of my cards today are totally blank. The ribbon I used is cut to fit the front only.
3. What Copic markers should you purchase? Check this link out by Debbie Olson HERE. She has taken a lot of time to provide a great wealth of information about Copics. Great advice Debbie, and thank you for compiling it all in once place!

Do you always find yourself needing some last minute holiday gifts? JustRite to the rescue. Follow along with our blog hop to see some last minute gifts you can whip up in a flash.

For me, hand made cards are always a well received gift. You don't even have to leave your house. Go ahead and stay in your jammies. Let's get stampin'! I know you have stamps:
And you've got lots of glittery goodness:
Ribbon? Come on ladies, fess up. You've got a gazillion yards of ribbon:
I'm sure you have a few pieces of patterned paper lying around:
Maybe some buttons:
You probably have enough card making supplies to keep you busy for years, am I right? Nod your head yes. The only thing I can think that you might need.......if you're like me.......is a magic fairy to come along to clean up your stamp area and give you a little more stamping space! And pray that she arrives with a big dump truck! ;) Hey, I see a 12" clean spot on my stamping table......let's get stampin' girls!
I thought I would whip up a few Christmas thank you cards today. Those are always needed and often overlooked....a perfect gift. I'll be coloring today, so here's the lineup of Copic Sketch markers that I'll be using:
And I'll also be using the JustRite stamp set called Christmas Treasures Borders and Centers. I love the cardinal image with the bird house. I started out by stamping my images with Palette Black Noir ink. If you find that you're picking up a little of the stamp edges, go ahead and trim your stamp image like what I've done in the photo. I made easy work of my main images by punching them out with a Giga scalloped square punch. I then colored my images with my Copic Sketch markers.

Next up, I decided what products I wanted to use for my cards and created a simply design. I chose to use a Making Memories patterned paper that has perfect coordinating red cardinals in the design. I found mine at Michael's in a paper pad. For my card base, I used PTI Kraft and stamped a Hero Arts Woodgrain background stamp in PTI Fresh Snow. It's so fun to use your supplies that coordinate. The woodgrain background mimics the woodgrain in the bird house image.

Next, I assembled my cards and then went straight for my stash of embellishment goodies. I used Papertrey's Scarlet Jewel ribbon and Vintage Buttons, Stickles, Vintage Glass Glitter and Glossy Accents. Yes, all that!On my pretty bird image, I used Stickles and the glass glitter to create snow on the bird house. Glossy Accents was used to add shine to the holly and berries. Oh, I used a white gel pen also to dot the cardinal's eye so it stood out a little better.
Here's one of my finished cards. You can see that I also added Vintage Buttons tied with twine.
And here's my little stash of cards. A little tip for you: When creating cards to give as gifts, try to keep the *bulk* to a minimum. If I'm going to give away a little pile of cards, I try to keep my ribbon and embellishments fairly flat. tThe cards package up much nicer. And it doesn't matter how you package up your cards, the recipient will LOVE them......and will probably beg for more! So get out your supplies...use up some of those goodies.....and stamp some cards!
Wanna be more inspired? Check out the JustRite blog and the following designers' projects for even more great ideas:

23 comments:

Michele Kovack said...

You always make the best cards!!! Such great details!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

What a great post to read! LOVE seeing your *stuff* -- LOL!!! Lovely gift cards -- I agree -- a gift of cards is always well received!!! TFS!!!

snarflemarfle said...

Fun!!

Now, do you want to share about the hot cocoa recipe you found? I'm dying to know if it was "the" one or not!!

diane mcvey said...

You are a woman after my own heart! YES, I have enough supplies to make cards until the year 3000... LOL
Thank you for making me feel "normal"...it helps! :D

Anonymous said...

you had to be talking about my stamping/scrapbooking room! Yep, found a 12" space to stamp and I have an entire room! Yikes! Love this card idea; the buttons top it off..love your blog! Have a wonderful day!

Carol R said...

Love how simple you make everything look. Love those cards!

Jeanette, Bronx, NY said...

Hi Mish...thanks for the great idea and all the details. I was wondering what does the inside look like? When the card is opened can the ribbon be seen on the other side? my last question is copic related...what are the most essential colors that a beginner should start with..
Thanks and Merry Christmas...your hardwork is always appreciated!!

Tricia T said...

I've been cleaning out my Google Reader today, but your blog is one of the 10 or 15 that I'm keeping (out of a couple hundred!) I'm spending way too much time online and too little time actually crafting, but your blog is always practical. Thanks for being you!

Lori Craig said...

Beautiful project, Michelle.

Carol M said...

That is so funny that you are stamping in a 12 inch spot. That is exactly what I am doing right now. I have so many holiday projects going on that I can't wait to get to the next one, so i am not cleaning up much in between. Have a great day.

Barbara said...

I absolutely love reading your blog! You are amazingly creative and - thank you for sharing your talents so freely. :-)

Barbara

Elizabeth S. said...

You always have the greatest ideas! Love these thank you cards. Love that birdhouse image!

Cheryl said...

Great cards and idea! Love your blog and I haven't really commented before but I visit you everyday. I guess we all seem to collect a lot of products and have very little space to work on.

Cardmaking said...

Really nice cards - and such a good idea making them before Christmas.
I really like the stamp used.

Susan

PS: Glad I'm not the only one who leaves a small space on my desk to work in!

Janet L. said...

Loved seeing your working area looks alot like mine!! Great little cards you made. I check your blog every single day for inspiration and you always come through!!

Karen said...

I love all your posts. I have a question though. What is glass glitter?

Karen said...

Love the bird image. These cards are perfect. Thought it was so cute that you photographed them hanging from your bird cage. Your presentation is flawless. Thanks for sharing.

Wendi said...

Oh so sweet. I love the cards and your writing is so funny! You are so entertaining and creative too. WOW! Thanks for sharing.

Carrie said...

I've been visiting your blog for a while now, and I love it. I can always count on you for inspiration! Love your work!

I have a question - those just rite stampers - they confuse me. Do you buy the handle and the actual rubber stamp separately? I'm not sure what size goes with what, and how it all works.

Any tips for basics that I would need to get started with their products? Thanks

Heidi Blankenship said...

Wonderful Cards!! I love the cardinals and the very natural and earthy feel. Love the pictures of all your crafting *stuff* too!! Great idea!

patriciad said...

Wow! Loving this card and the way the stamp coordinates so nicely with the designer paper. Soooo cute!

Evelin said...

absolutely fantastic, as always :)

Kathy Jones said...

Gorgeous!!! Love your cards and your post had me totally grinning.....too much ribbon and paper....not me!! ROFL!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails