August 26, 2007

I was in a pickle........

Actually I was in a jam......making homemade jam that is! Every year when the peach trucks come to town, my mom and I know it's jam time. We have a secret recipe for Hot Peach Jam and my friends usually start asking for it about now. My mom was always canning some type of fresh fruit or vegetable and I love that I'm carrying on that family tradition. But I still need her help because she's so good at it. So she comes over with her water bath equipment after I have my jam mixture all ready. She's a lifesaver! So I wanted to make her a card but didn't have a Hot Peach Jam stamp, imagine that (Karen can you work on that for me? LOL!) So I searched my stamp collection and thought that Karen Lockhart's jar of pickles with the sentiment *I was in a pickle and you helped me out.....* would work just fine. We've canned a lot of pickles in our day too, I must say!

So here are two versions of my pickle jar cards. For this first card, I colored the pickle jar in with Copic markers, using just a few shades of green to color the pickles and then a light blue for the liquid/jar color. Very simple and clean. I then cut and embossed my image with a Spellbinder's Rectangle Die Template. The background papers are from the Homespun Memory Box Collection. I used my largest Spellbinder's Square Scallop Die Template to make the bottom portion of the card. The gingham check was adhered to the top and a SU! ribbon hides the two patterned paper *seams*. Three little sequins were added to the sentiment for some bling.

This main image on this card was colored in the same fashion as the first card and was also cut and embossed with a rectangle Spellbinder's Die Template. For the blue mat, I cut a rectangle with my paper trimmer then inserted only one end into my die template so that just one side would get the scallop cut. I learned that trick from Nichole Heady at Papertrey, she's SO clever! Flat beads and SU! ribbon were added for embellishments.
I thought you might like to see our Hot Peach Jam process. First I blanch the peaches in boiling water, peel and then cook down with all the secret spices for about an hour. I did a double batch on this day.
Then we prepare the jars, lids and rings and give our prepared jam a water bath to seal the jars. I took this photo of my mom's hand while she was removing some jars. She works so hard and her poor hands are showing the signs of it. I will always love this photo.
Then it's my turn to go to work. I can't leave those cute little jars just sitting around naked! So I fancy them up with ribbon and a cute tag. I punched those with a Marvy punch after printing on My Mind's Eye patterned paper. I used the SU! horizontal slot punch and then tied to the jar with brown May Art's ribbon. I'll take my first order to school on Monday, my friend ordered three jars. I'll probably make at least two or three more batches while the peaches are still good this year.

19 comments:

Alex said...

What a great family tradition Michele - and the card and jars are too cute! Love them! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Julie Campbell said...

What an awesome post! Seeing those canning jars just makes me think of my grandma! Those pickles are just too cute!

Alhambra Club said...

How great, the cards are beautiful, how do you get on the jam list.

Melissa said...

Here I am, 32 years old and have never had Peach Jam! Your's looks so good, I think I have to try it!

Awesome cards - thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh My! That looks so yummy. I can't even imagine how wonderful your kitchen probably smelled and the wonderful memories you and your mom share. BTW, I quadrupled your Sweet Chex Mix recipe for our family reunion on Saturday and it disappeared...a new family favorite. Thanks for sharing! Janet

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is awesome! I can remember helping my Grandmother can things when I was a child (and that was a LONG time ago!!) It's great that you and your Mom can do such a fun and yummy thing together! I'm sure all the recipients are very glad you do it, too!!! :)

Cindy said...

I love your blog and all your fun ideas--your are an awesome artist. But I miss seeing creations using SU stamps. Any hope for future SU creations?? Thanks

Anne Marie said...

OK, I'm ready to buy some right now, and if you had a link on your site to purchase a jar or two, I'd be there in a heartbeat! :)

Dottie K. said...

Wow they look so yummy! What a special tradition to have. Love that photo! Both cards are beautiful and I'm sure your mom will treasure it very much. :)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful cards! I just finished several batches of elderberry jelly. Next time you offer blog candy, how about blog jam?!!

Anonymous said...

Mish - I am always so enamoured with your creations - both food and cards!!! I LOVE to can as well and also learned from my Mom. I have missed it so much this summer. I always preserve peaches and tomato's and of all strange things pickled yellow beans. They are so yummy. Oh how I wish I could just pop over to your house so we could can together!!!

Jenn said...

I need some HOT PEACH JAM!!! I love the pickle stamp from Lockhart!! I love what you have done with it, but most importanly I LOVE YOU!! Woo Hoo!!! Have a great day MISHY!!

Tandra said...

OOOhhhh May I please be on the jam order list??? Please?? Oh gosh it looks so yummy!!
Seriously....please....<3 (heart)

Susie said...

One question - do you ship to Illinois? :0)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Mish.
I completely love the jam photos ... Photos of the heart of a family.

Love the added beads on the pickle card too!

Anonymous said...

How fun ~~ and how yummy does that jam look!!?? I can & bake with my grandma ~~ somehow the love of doing things in the kitchen skipped a generation. My mom HATES baking, canning, cooking, & don't even mention crafts to her!!! My grandma is 88 & can't can anymore, but she does come over when I do it ~~ I still need her guidance!!!

Swamp Tulip said...

Yummy! Your jam sounds so good. I grew up on a dairy farm and my grandma, aunt and mom always were canning and making jams and jellies. I have been lax in that department over the last few years but my sister is carrying on the family tradition.

Teresa

Viv said...

Love those cards! I think everyone needs one of those pickle stamps! I had someone help me out of a jam today and thought about your card and that stamp! Speaking of jam--yum, yum! Your's looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Your jam presentation is lovely! I notice that many of your visitors are interested in the making of preserves. I would like to welcome them to Labels With Love for all their preserving and consequently their labelling needs! http://www.squidoo.com/labelswithlove

Related Posts with Thumbnails