August 5, 2007

Garden Clogs....

Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation...there is no place like home, that's for sure! We had a wonderful time and I'll post some photos of beautiful Colorado later on. I sure missed my stamp room and computer, probably a good thing to take a break though. I colored lots of images while I was gone...you didn't think I'd leave ALL my supplies at home, now did you?

This card is appropriate this time of year because I am knee deep in my garden every day.....picking ripe tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, green peppers, jalepenos and onions. Every day I make a fresh batch of salsa and a big bowl of cucumbers and onions. Yummayyyyy...and Lord knows I need all the veggies I can get after pigging out on vacation!

These fun clogs and matching sentiment are new stamps from Karen Lockhart. I colored them with Copic markers, using the same colors over and over to create many layers of depth with just one color. I love the gradation you can get with simply layering one marker, yet they still blend beautifully. To soften any areas that get too dark, just go over that area with the colorless blender. Colored image is cut and embossed with a Spellbinder's Nestability Die Template then mounted a SB scallop cut square. I love the finished look that the embossing adds to a focal image.

Base card is stamped with a Cornish Heritage Farm background stamp called Climbing Floral Background(you can see the actual stamp under my cards). Isn't it sweet and subtle? My dear friend Lisa Strahl, whom I roomed with at CHA, gifted it to me. Check out her blog, she is just the nicest friend ever and she is SO knowledgeable in the stamping industry. She was nice enough to give me lots of pointers and gave me the grand tour of the Ranger booth at CHA. Plus she personally introduced me to Tim Holtz, how about that? Lisa is now a Certified Ranger Instructor so I listened closely when she spoke about all things Ranger! I neeeeed more Ranger products!! Plus she has the cutest PINK streak in her hair. (and she stole my brush at CHA...LOL!)



Here's my tip of the day: This is one of those touches that I add to my cards all the time, almost like a secret signature on my cards. I call it the *messy stitch*. Take some snippets of ribbon (especially when you want to hoard your ribbon, just use a little bit), adhere them down to your card, and then machine stitch over the ribbon. The messy part comes in to play because I just stitch back and forth three times. That's it...three messy stitches. They are not perfect but that's the look I go for.



Supplies used:
Cardstock (Stampin' Up! Soft Sky, Memory Box Blue Poppy, My Mind's Eye Tres Jolee, Papertrey Ink (white)),
Spellbinder's Nestabilities Die Templates(square and scallop square), Ribbon (velvet by Maya Road, other unknown), Copic markers (B000, B00, G40, 0), Lockhart stamps (Garden Clogs and sentiment), Stampin' Up! dimensionals, machine stitching


15 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

I think your "signature" on your cards is adorable. Very clever idea, and a fabulous way to use up those itty bitty pieces of ribbon that we tend to collect and hang onto! TSF

Alex said...

It is a way cute card! I am glad you are back and had a good time on your vacation!

Dottie K. said...

Welcome home! Glad you had a good vacation. Adorable card - love that phrase with those clogs. Pretty paper! Looking forward to seeing more...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card; glad to hear you had a good vacation. Everyone needs a break now and then.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Love your new card! TFS!

Jenn in GA said...

so glad you had a good time away, but so glad you're back! so glad to hear that the torrential downpours you had earlier this summer didn't ruin the garden--i'd love to sit down over salsa and chips and chat! looking forward to pics from CO...

Christina Fischer said...

Adorable card!! I love those clogs! Great idea about the "signature" on your cards -- the ribbon is such a cute touch!

Alhambra Club said...

Love the card, that stamp is adorable, welcome back.

Anonymous said...

These are darling! I think I have that bg stamp and have never used it! Better dust it off.

Dawn said...

YEAH!! I'm so glad to see you have new stuff up after vacation!!!! I missed them while you were away:( These clog cards are just too sweet! Now, I know alot of gals use their sewing machines for paper crafting, I have heard it dulls the needles pretty quick...although I've never tried this, is there any "truth" to the matter? I LOOOOOOOOVE my sewing machine for my children's textiles, but have not been brave enough to try a card!
Dawn:)

Anonymous said...

The cards are wonderful, like always. I love the fact that you shared such a great tip as far as using one marker to build color, awesome!! The colors are scrumptous and your design gorgeous.

Welcome back, I hope you had a BLAST, and I really missed you. TFS.

Rose Ann said...

Welcome home! Great idea to take images with you to color. I never thought of that.

I love your cards! Great tips as usual. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Adorable clogs...glad you are home...been missin' your blog, but we all need a break! Hope the special time with your family was all you hoped it would be....

Jenn said...

so cute Mishy!!! Glad you are back!! Missed ya girly!!

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

good to have you back Michelle..we missed you. Hope you had a great vacation and love the little clog card...and the messy stitching..lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails