October 12, 2011

In the Meadow..

Edit: The plaid paper that I used for my projects are from The Merry Days of Christmas line from My Mind's Eye. I've had it in my paper stash for some time now so I'm not sure of the availability.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that the clear box I used is linked up in my post. It's the box from the PTI store that is for A2 cards. The boxes that you get with your stamp sets are too wide for this die.

One of my favorite Papertrey stamp sets being released on the 15th this month is In the Meadow. It has beautifully illustrated, traditional images and dies galore. I wanted to evoke a rustic feel to my projects, as if you were taking a sleigh ride through the snowy woods while snuggled warmly with an old, plaid quilt.

One of my favorite things to do around the holidays is to give out gifts early in December...or even late November. Sometimes it's just easier to get together with an old friend or have a family gathering before all the hustle and bustle of the season starts. Today I'd like to share a few tips for creating a coordinating set of cards with matching gift tote, a perfect pre-season holiday gift.
First up is a set of 4 coordinating cards which use the In the Meadow stamp + it's coordinating dies. When creating a coordinating gift set, I like to keep some details similar on each card so they look like a matching set.

Here's what each card in the set of 4 has in common:
*I used this card sketch as a starting point for each of my cards
*each card has a heat embossed + die cut focal image
*each card has a stamped + die cut snowflake tied with brown/white baker's twine + a Vintage Button
*each card has some of the plaid patterned paper on it (from My Mind's Eye)
*each card has machine stitching with brown thread
*each card has a torn strip of woodgrain Washi tape on it
*each card has been splattered with spray mist

Using all of these elements made my stamping session go pretty smoothly. I made up four of the snowflake embellishments, cut my strips of patterned paper and die cut & embossed my 4 main images I wanted to use. From there it was all about adding specific details to each card. On this first card I used the tree die and the sleigh ride image. An additional piece of Kraft cardstock was added that was first die cut with a scalloped border die. I also used both of the dies from the In the Meadow die collection to create the drifting snow.
Here I used two deer images from the set, both heat embossed with brown powder and die cut with the coordinating dies. I also die cut another snow drift. Here I used the woodgrain Washi tape (from the American Crafts Amy Tangerine line) all along the bottom of the card....vs little torn pieces I used on the other cards. I know that I'll get a lot of use out of these deer images + dies with all the hunters in my family.
For this card I wanted to make big snow drifts so I spaced my snow drift dies far apart and added glitter to resemble glistening snow. I also added glitter to the snowflake accent to tie it in with the stamped sentiment. Love the hat and scarf whishing through the wind as the little kid sleds down the hill.
And for my last card I embossed the snowman over and over again by applying more white embossing powder right after I heat set a layer. I also used the Mat Stack 3 and the new Layerz Mat Stack 3 die being released on the 15th of this month. Small pearl accents were added around the snowman to resemble snowballs.
And here's what you've probably been waiting for, right? This is gift tote that will hold the four cards + four envelopes easily. I die cut 2 pieces of Kraft cardstock from Nichole's new Front & Center #1 die. This is genius, I tell you! I love it soooo much.
This year I am using Kraft wrapping and boxes for all my gifts + a second wrapping of either sheet music, old book paper or newspaper. All gifts and sacks will then be topped with an embellished tag with baubles and jingle bells and tied up with twine. Here I used another matching snowflake, some sheet music, a leftover strip of the plaid patterned paper and some thick, cotton twine. Tip: save the ovals that are die cut from the larger pieces. I stamped a sentiment on one and added it to the front of the gift tote with pop dots. A little snippet of the woodgrain Washi tape and some tied buttons finish off the gift tote.
The two large dies were adhered to a Clearly Creative Card Box. I used a sharp Xacto knife to trim the top off of a flat card box, then assembled the box. Using Scor-Tape I added strips to the clear box and then adhered my two die cut pieces. Presto, an instant gift box. I can't wait for Nichole to show you even more ideas for using this wonderful new die. Stay tuned because tomorrow I'll be using it again. :)
I'm pretty certain I'll be making lots more of these fun gift totes with coordinating cards. Makes you want to start crafting right now, doesn't it? Please join me as I hop on over to the other Papertrey blogs to see what they have in store for In the Meadow.

35 comments:

Meredith MacRitchie said...

Okay, truly, I don't even know how to put into words how much I LOVE THIS. Throughout your post all I could think was WOW. Awesome idea, beautifully executed. I am just in love with how you piece things together, and layer goodies on. And I LOVE how you cut that manila tag, it's awesome! What a beautiful gift.

Tanja said...

These are so beautiful - such lovely colours and elements which go together and I am always looking for easy ways to make sets of cards for gifts. Thanks!

Kathy Mc said...

Oh, Mish, you have the best strategy for creating. Great tips for making card sets, which I already know my friends love. Only you would think of using the clear box with the new dies to create the perfect way to gift beautiful cards. The In The Meadow set really got me reminiscing about the good old days ~ love it.

Suzie said...

Beautiful! I love your creative use of the *stamp box*, too. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

Gabby said...

Wonderful card set! Great tote. I'll look forward to seeing how it comes together. :)

Eveline said...

I love the cards, they have such a cosy feel about them. I get visions of cold nights, fire light and candles.
Love the way you packaged the cards. Great new dies and stampsets.
Eveline.

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oh, wauw! These are absolutely perfect!!! I thought I could do without this set, enough on the list already, ha ha, but these are sooooo amazing!!! I've put it on the list, oeps!! ;-D
Hugs, Wendy

jan metcalf said...

WOW! Beautiful. beautiful cards!! The strip of plaid adds just the right touch to these great images and pleasing sentiments!!!

richardbreaks said...

I just don't know how these could be any better!! This set as really amazing!! TFS!

Tosha said...

Wow, a truely awesome collection. Great for anyone on the gift list if you could stand to part with them, lovely!

Rachelle said...

Love! The way you layer and mix things together is just magical.

Roberta said...

The gift tote and its many possibilities is great! Your cards are so pretty. This "In the Meadow" set and the scenes your cards depict remind me of my young life in the Black Hills of South Dakota! What beauty!

Diane Jaquay said...

WOW Mish, these are AWESOME!!!!

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous set of cards and lovely packaging too!

Unknown said...

These are the best!! I love using sketches and am always amazed at how different the same sketch looks on each card! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kim G said...

What you have made with this set is just beautiful!! Love it all!! What are the colors you use the most of the Mister Huey's spray mist? Thank you!

Cele Schaffer said...

Just when I think you have outdone yourself-you do it again!! These cards are SO beautiful and thank you SO much for the tutorial. Can't hardly wait to purchase this release now. The box is genius-LOVE THIS!!

Jill Norwood said...

Your card sets are always so gorgeous and I love the way you used the new dies to decorate the card box. LOVE THIS! Thanks Mish!

Sue Davis said...

Mish... what is the name of the plaid paper you used from My Mind's Eye?

Flor said...

Hi Mish!

Love, Love, Love all your work. thank you for sharing. These projects are absolutely beautiful and inspiring!

Sharon D said...

Beyond gorgeous! Love all these cards and the bag! Great idea to stamp the sentiment on the oval from the gift bag!

KAREN said...

Oh Mish, you did it again! I LOVE the cards you made for In The Meaow release! Your color combo is glorious. Which MME line is the plaid paper from. I hope i can still find it. Someone is going to be so lucky to receive this card set. You rock!

KAREN said...

Oh Mish, you did it again! I LOVE the cards you made for In The Meaow release! Your color combo is glorious. Which MME line is the plaid paper from. I hope i can still find it. Someone is going to be so lucky to receive this card set. You rock!

Gailanne said...

These are the best cards I've seen in a long time. You are gifted, Michelle!

Unknown said...

you are the Yoda of cardmaking Mish!! this is amazing and so subtle in it's prettiness. love it!

Lisa Dolson said...

Darling set of cards and card holder, Mish. Love all of your little details...so will the recipient of this gift!

Patty B said...

Michelle your work is si beautiful abd inspiring! I just love the warm homespun feeling!

Peggy said...

Love the cards and holder. The papers and images are fabulous. Great project.
God bless,
Peggy

Anonymous said...

I can't help looking this awesome, cute and beautiful kit. I LOVE this!
It's really sophisticated.

Jenn Copeland said...

Wow, WOW, WOWsers! This is absolutely fabulous! The colors and layers are perfect!

Lisa Petrella said...

Beautiful project!! LOVE all of the layers and embellishments!!!

Diana F. said...

I love this project. You put things together so well, I am always trying to learn from your process. And I LOVE this die. I cannot wait to see what other projects you do with it. You creations are always so inspirational to me. It does really motivate me to get into my stash and start creating. Thank you for always sharing your talent.

Nichol Magouirk said...

This is THE most stunning gift bag EVER. a work of art, my friend. LOVE it! xo

Becca said...

MISH...this is absolutely gorgeous...another wonderful creation by you.

Have a great day,
Bela

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having your tote on the front page of the Papertrey site. It was a well deserved selection as the tote is gorgeous. I loved the whole set, very creative.
Donna

Related Posts with Thumbnails