March 8, 2011

spring flowers in jar

Hey everyone, the Papertrey March release events will be starting soon. Before I dive into this month's supply box I wanted to do a *warm up exercise* of sorts and create a little something. I've been excited to ink up the tulips from Friendship Jar Spring Fillers plus I had some new patterned papers in my stash that were begging to be cut into. Note: the jar image does not come with this set. You'll need the original Friendship Jar set if you want to use the jar image and label die like I did for my project.

The creation of this card came about like this....lately I've noticed two things. One, lots of people just don't send cards anymore. With all the email, twittering and Facebooking, a card seems like a tedious thing to worry about sometimes. Second, the price of gas is sky rocketing! Geez Louise. With those two observations, I think once again we're going to see people having *stay-cations* at home, less driving about and curbed spending. And sending a card is still pretty cheap. So why not send out cards to those loved ones and friends across the miles....or make a card be a little gift in itself. Nothing more is needed....no high priced gift that no one really needs anyway. A card is just perfect.

That's what my project is about today. I am presenting my card in a way so that it's a little gift that can be re-purposed and sent out again if desired. Or it could just sit pretty on a shelf or tacked to a bulletin board. The idea is that the card is just placed on top of the the pretty envelope and then tied up with a pretty ribbon. This presentation is so pretty that looks like stationery from a boutique or little gift shop. Imagine a co-worker finding this on her desk, she would love it.
So that the recipient can re-purpose the card if desired I left the envelope unsealed and the card is blank. I recently purchased these adorable little journaling cards from Elle's Studio that are made to look like handmade layers. I attached it to my card with a small clothespin...later on I can write a little note on there for the recipient. I could also tuck a larger journaling card or sticky note on the inside of the card with a longer note and the explanation that the card can be used again if desired.
I lined the envelope with some Sassafras paper, it's just to pretty to seal up just yet. The ribbon is tied around the envelope....if you wanted to place the card inside the envelope you could easily just tied the ribbon around the envy and add the little clip and journaling card to the outside.
The card features pretty spring colors of peachy pink tulips that were paper pieced with the same paper from the envelope lining. I used Handwritten Notes for the card front sentiment. Additional patterned papers were used for a scalloped cut border on the right side of the focal piece. I then machine stitched around 3 sides.
I used Copic markers to color the flower stems and to add a bit of shading on the side of the jar and label. The inside of the jar was stamped with the polka dot filler image in Aqua Mist ink. It gives the idea of water without having to shade it all with the markers. So that I had additional room on my card front for a sentiment and other embellishments, I cut a portion of the flowers in the jar off on the left side. Still just as beautiful without taking up the entire card front.
A splendid little gift that I know someone will just love. Hope you give it a try.

20 comments:

Jean Franks Beck said...

WOW! Where to begin? This is exquisite! I love the paper pieced flowers that match the envelope liner, the beautiful scalloped edge, the stitching, the gorgeous coloring with those sweet spring colors. What a fab idea, too. I have all the other Friendship Jar sets and dies except this one, and dang! girl, you've pushed me over the edge... now I'm needing this one too! (I just can't resist your sets... and now you and Nichole have worked on two more? I'm in trouble.;)) And.... lovin' the new header, too. :)

Unknown said...

so pretty!! and a lovely idea to give as a gift. i make cards and gift them to a friend who uses them in her church ministry. i make l0 at a time and it's just perfect for her.and fun for me! one of my news years "resolutions" is to send out more cards to people. that's one i can keep for sure! thank you for all of the work that you do and all of the sharing that you do.it is greatly appreciated.

dolcreations said...

Oh this is just so pretty! A fresh breath of spring really! I love to send cards too and think this idea you have with the little clothes peg attached is so cute! I bought this set and it is such a favourite. I was thrilled when you came up with the spring set to go in your jars. I sure hope you have a summer set...hint hint! You know you and your strawberry posts, peach posts and that wonderful corn salad in the mason jar...hello..I am so sure you are on it like a dirty shirt!!!LOL

Karey said...

Beautiful colors! I agree with Jean, Exquisite.

Diane Jaquay said...

Not only is this a beautiful presentation, I love the unique idea you've shared here Mish, to clip the card to the envelope so the recipient can reuse it! And the card and envelope are both GORGEOUS, with so many amazing DETAILS! Thanks!!!

Elizabeth S. said...

Mish, this is just absolutely fantastic card! I love everything about it! The person who receives this will be one lucky person!

Tami McBeain said...

You are the queen of cards! Always coming up with fresh and fun ideas that spark my creativity! Thanks for sharing!

Eveline said...

I would love to find this on my desk :)
It's lovely.
Eveline.

Renee said...

Beautiful!
Absolutely love this card...
the paper pieced tulips are over the moon...
love it all!

Kim H. said...

Absolutely beautiful. Just beautiful. Friendship jar is still by far my absolute favorite!

Anne Tussing said...

Wonderful card!! I love the idea of adding a journaling note and allowing the recipient to reuse the card! Your card is so beautiful!

Unknown said...

Really pretty card! I love to go through your archives especially Christmas! Today I went back to Feb. to look at the YO YO Jars cards and was going to get the ones on Etsy but was too late! But I still want to say those are such beautiful cards. Also loving your project life-it is so fun to see what the reds are up to next!!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love how you off- centered the flowers and the jar, I must try it with this set. Another beautiful, inspiring card. I cannot wait to see the new sets you have been working on for March, I am very excited!!

IRA SMITH TRUSTEE & RECEIVER INC. said...

After all the comments so far all I can say is I agree and it is simply beautiful. Great idea.

delisa said...

Just beautiful! I love your wonderful creations, so inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing with everyone.....yours is my favorite blog & I look forward to every post :> Thanks & have a blessed day.

Rachelle said...

Love this card! i love the look of an offset focal point, why don't i ever do it myself?! You've just inspired me for sure

katia said...

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL AND DELICATE CARDS ..... I AM YOUR FAN
KISSES

Anonymous said...

Adorable card Mish - I love your paper pieced tulips. This would be such a thoughtful gift.
I love your cute blog makeover too! It really makes me want to get on and sort out my boring old template ;) Hugs, Ruth S

Recipe Cards said...

Hello,

The above gift cards are so nice with flowers in the glass jar. This is a best gift for friends. We can share our thoughts with these. Thanks for this information. I really appreciate your work, keep it up.

Recipe Cards

Tasha said...

Such a stunning creation, its so beautiful!
love tasha xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails