March 1, 2011

Recent auction finds...

Hi friends. A few of you were curious as to what I scored at the auction my mom and I went to last weekend. There was a lot of neat, primitive items at this auction but it was crowded + there were a lot of antique dealers there. That means lots of people bidding + lots of people with more money to spend than me. I do love the thrill of auction though. 4+ hours later, I went home with just a few treasures.

My favorite item from the auction is this small, galvanized watering can. I've started a collection of these and love to see them lined up on my porch steps. I am picky and try to get cans that have no holes so that I can actually use them for watering flowers outside. And, it's a real bonus if you find watering cans that still have the spout at the end. Many times, these are long gone. Plus this is a smaller watering can, measuring about 9" high. So cute. I can't wait for my flowers to bloom now.
I waited for this box of postmarked stamps for.ev.er. Literally this flat was on the last table to be bid on. I wanted this treasure box though. There's sooo many in here that I might be sharing little envelopes of these in my shop soon.
I also got a stack of sheet music. I like to find old sheet music because the pages are weathered to a nice creamy or yellow-ish color. Again, if anyone is interested I've got plenty to share some in the shop.
Here's another item I waited for forever. This was along the wall with the tools. Which means you get to stand by all the farmers in overalls + manly men and bid along with them for hoes and metal parts and other junk. This is what I call a flea market cart. Actually, they're old shopping carts that are lightweight and fold up. My grandmother used to wheel one over to Safeway my mom told me. I have four of these in my collection so far. I do use them when I go to flea markets because they're perfect for toting around found treasures. Most of the time though these are going to serve as my recycling bins. I'm going to line them up in my garage and toss in milk jugs, plastic bottles, magazines, etc. Wait til Eric hears about that plan. I can hear him already, *Great, more junk in the garage*. Oh well, he loves me.
Regarding the auctions and junk sales....I am monitoring my purchases very carefully these days. We're planning some major room switcharoos this summer so I need to be purging items instead of bringing more into the house. We'll see how that goes.

13 comments:

Renee said...

Love the new top graphic! :)
And love these finds!
That box of postage excites me!
Don't suppose you've visited the forum and checked out stamp suggestions lately?
There's some begging for you!:)
Look for Postage Stamps...
Seriously...
begging!
Looks like you had a wonderful time...
and found some wonderful goodies!

Danielle said...

I love the shopping cart. What a great find!

Cindy said...

That watering can really was a good find. I have a collection of about 10, but have never seen such a cute little one. And I would like to get one of the shopping carts. I want to look cool walking around the flea markets. Ha!
Please come visit my blog at priairesedgefarm.blogspot.com. I'm a little late to the blog party, but better late...I post about my vintage finds, papercrafting, quilting, gardening...

Denise Young said...

love all the goodies. I have never found a watering can without rust or holes. Good find there!
Love the new banneron top of the bloggaroo!

Rachel Schumacher said...

Just wanted to tell you I love your new blog header! Sure puts me in the mood for spring!

Anne Tussing said...

What fun finds:) Thanks for sharing!

Cindy O'Donnell said...

I need sheet music so think about putting that in your Etsy store!! I'll be watching ... :)

CHARLOTTE said...

A lot of old music is out of print so you may have a gold mine. Can't wait to see what you do with all.

Cindy said...

Oh I do love all of your recent auction finds. I have 3 old galv. watering cans, but not that small. How cute is that? And the shopping carts - what a great idea to use them for recycling!

Julie said...

Wow...what a haul! You scored some treasures! {LoVe} your new blog banner...so Mish Mash!

Jilly said...

I have a shopping cart like that except mine is white and I found it at a thrift shop years ago. It has been used to haul laundry from one end of the house to the other (bad back); at the beach to haul cooler, towels, bags and chairs (strapped on with bungie cords)from car to water area; also used to haul packages from car into post office at Xmas time ... love it! Hint: I buy old kids books and hymnals at thrift stores for the pages ... old, yellowed, and I don't have to worry about a bad word showing up in an inappropriate spot on my card.

ReNae Allen said...

Michelle, I had insomnia tonight, so to make myself feel better, of course I hopped on your blog. I also went out and ordered the button stamps. Unfortunately the dies are all sold out. Hoping they come in soon, but until then I can at least start making the cards. I also live in Kansas, and your post today reminds me that auction season is upon us! Yay Spring!
Have a creative day!
ReNae in Overland Park

Melanie said...

I love seeing all your rural finds, Mish - you are so lucky to have frequent access to such stuff... living in the 'burbs in Brisbane, Australia, we don't get such good fortune, and when you do find some, it's usually WAAAAAAAY overpriced. Oh well such is life! Keep up the pics of the finds, I can live vicariously through you! Oh and may we see some pics of the newly switcheroo-ed rooms when they are completed? I LOVE LOVE LOVE to see pics of your home and decor, your style is after my own heart!

Related Posts with Thumbnails