March 12, 2011

Postmarks

Welcome to Group Post day with the Papertrey Ink Design Team. Today the design team will be creating wonderful projects using the new Postmarks stamp set + I'll be showing the new Label Basics stamp set and dies as well. The Postmarks stamp set is actually a collaboration of ideas from Betsy and myself. We had both submitted concepts to Nichole for postage type stamp sets so Nichole combined our ideas into one set. At the same time I submitted concepts for a vintage label set reminiscent of the old Dennison labels, like I've shown below. I thought the postage theme and these classic labels would go hand in hand together.
So my first project showcases lots of stamps from the Postmarks set as well as labels from the Label Basics stamp set....in air mail theme with red and blue. I will be using a regular A2 Kraft envelope to create some mail art.
The idea behind mail art is that the packaging is embellished any way you like and slap some postage on it. It's amazing as to what you can mail through the postal service. I found a cool blog that has lots and lots of good inspiration but I have lost the link (will post it once I find it again). I think this type of project would be great for art students.

So here I have arranged stamp and dies on my envelope to get a feel for my art mail envelope layout. At this point, I snapped a photo to have as a visual reference.
I gathered up all my dies and placed them on my die cutting machine. I used White Adhesive Sheets for my labels so that they would stick nicely to my envelopes.
Next, I stamped red and blue labels, via airmail style.
Once I had all my labels stamped, I peeled off the back and stuck them to my Kraft envelope. In the upper right hand corner, I left a blank spot for a real postage stamp. I also left two labels blank so that I can address my envelope. For the rest of the front and back of the envelope, I added stamped images to fill in the blank spots. This is a great little exercise to just test out all the stamps.
Along with my art mail envelope I created a very simple notecard using the new Postmarks patterned paper designed by Heather Nichols. I simply cut an 5.5 x 8 rectangle and folded in half. A few leftover labels embellish the front.
I can't wait to send this off in the mail to an artsy friend. As long as you can slap a stamp on it, the sky's the limit. You might check with your local post office but I saw things like baseballs, 3-D items and all sorts of painted and sewn envelopes. It's all about stretching your creativity and having fun!
My next project uses the new Postmarks and Label Basics sets in a more traditional way. I've gathered up a few sheets of the Postmarks patterned paper, Kraft cardstock, cork, vintage book paper and a card sketch I did while waiting for my supply box to arrive this month. Again, I laid out the stamps and dies to get an idea of how my card would come together.
First, I die cut the Signature Series Butterfly die using patterned paper, cork and old book print. All of these layers will make for a ruffled up, dimensional butterfly.
I stitched down the center of all the layers, leaving the threads long to create butterfly antennas. Using the postmark stamp, circle stamp and small butterfly from Postmarks, I stamped the butterfly. What better way to send airmail than with a pretty, fluttery butterfly, right? You could also use bird stamps or the fun Up, Up and Away stamp if you want to keep with the air mail theme.
Next I use the well sought after postage stamp die that you've all been hoping for. I die cut the paper, stamped the outline edge, stamped the inside stamp (which has amazing detail) and then stamped the tiny little butterfly. All separate stamps so that you can design your own postage stamp any way you'd like. Very easy to add in different stamps from other sets.
Recently I acquired an entire box of old postmarked stamps from an auction. I thought it would be fun to add one to my finished card. So cool how my new stamps blends in nicely with my old stamp.
To create a vintage look to my card I used Dark Chocolate and Smokey Shadow colors that look so nice with the blue in the the Postmarks patterned paper. I first stamped the air mail sentiment onto a die cut cardstock label using Dark Chocolate ink. I then colored in the letters with a W3 Copic marker. I also stamped a strip of cardstock with Pine's new Ribbon Tails stamp using Smokey Shadow ink. Why not use a strip of actual ribbon, you ask? I love that I can add a strip of ribbon looking paper across my card fronts and not worry about the ribbon fraying.....plus I love that I can stamp a sentiment on the ribbon strip with the ink bleeding. Love.
And here's my finished card. Lot of nice details + I think this style of card would be great for manly card. Maybe switch out the butterfly or just leave it off the card altogether.
So many dimensional accents on this one, a fun card to create.
For my next project I'm going to brighten things up a bit with some colorful, spring flowers + a postcard. The stamps from Postmarks are perfect for designing your own postcards. I found that the Library Card Tag die is the perfect size for postcards.
First, I die cut the Library Card Tag shape using Rustic Cream cardstock. Don't worry about the hole, it will be totally covered up. Using Dark Chocolate ink I stamped the basic postcard elements. I also added in the 25 cent stamp from Button Boutique to create the divider line often seen on vintage postcards. I inked the edges with the Chamomile Tea Dye ink.
Next I die cut more of the White Adhesive sheets with the angled labels and stamped the coordinating label images using Aqua Mist ink.
To create an old stamp resembling the one on a vintage postcard find, I simply die cut the stamp shape, stamped on green the images with green ink and then touched the top with the Chamomile ink. Looks so real, doesn't it?
Next I wanted to create a pretty front for my postcard. I stamped the tulip image from Friendship Jar Spring Fillers with Dark Chocolate ink. Using the Copic colors shown below I colored my image in a somewhat watercolor looking fashion. Lots of white space + layering in colors.
To add some beautiful shimmer to my colored tulips, I painted over the Copic coloring with LuminArte Twinkling H2O's. These are pretty paints that add shimmer...I used a brush + some water to apply the yellow/orange paint.
I also added a few areas of purple paint. Purple is a complementary color to yellow and it really makes that yellow pop off the page.
I added a few patterned papers to my postcard front using my sewing machine. If you zoom in on the photo below you can really see the shimmery look of the Twinkling H20 paints.
And here are the back and front of my postcard. I used two separate layers just in case my paints and Copic markers bled through to the other side.
A beautiful, spring greeting or perhaps a nice Easter postcard for someone special.
On the back of the postcard, I can fill in the labels with a handwritten note. I'll probably slip this into a envelope if I decide to mail. I could have left off the postage die and added a real stamp if I wanted to mail this as an actual postcard. Can't wait to try more of these.
For my last project today I created two mini postcards that I intend to tuck into the girls' Easter baskets. I cut my mini postcard shapes from the Button Boutique button card die. Using colorful inks I stamped on lots of images from the Postmarks stamp set. A perfect way to use the Postmarks set if you're not into the vintage look. I love the Orange Zest and Aqua Mist airmail strip along the bottom. Part of the background was stamped with Pine's new Background Basics: Twinkle stamp set in green ink.
The eggs were made by using the Egg die cut shape, Green Boutique patterned paper, buttons + twine, a flower stamp from Melissa's new Tiny Tags, and a die cut from Flower Fusion #2. The notched ribbons were created by using Pine's new Ribbon Tails stamp set + the Double Ended Banner dies. So cute and colorful for spring or Easter projects. Use them as is or add to a card or gift sack. The *handle with care* and *fragile* sentiments are perfect to use with an egg theme or maybe even a baby theme.
Whew, that's it for today's projects. I hope you enjoy! Be sure to visit Nichole's + the other Design Team members' blogs for their fun projects using Postmarks.

38 comments:

Jean Franks Beck said...

Oh Mish, you might be getting a call from my husband, wanting to know why I'm blaming you for the lack of funds in our bank account, cuz.... I NEED IT ALL! Sorry, didn't mean to shout, but Wowza, girl, these sets are fantastic. I mean really. Need 'em. Need 'em baaaad. Thanks, as always, for all you do! Love it all. ;)

Gladys said...

It's a beautiful set created! Love all your creation! I need to get this set and the vintage button too!

Kathy Mc said...

Your creative ideas are beyond belief…except that we see it all right here on your blog. Fabulous inspiration and encouragement for those who need it to buy more goodies. Wonderful work!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

All of your projects have my head spinning with ideas! I love how you always add such unique details to finish your projects off. Beautiful!!!

Swedie said...

I really enjoyed the walk through another era with your postage projects! An the little butterfly was clever, too.

Jill Norwood said...

Stunning cards! Love the new stamp and die sets. So many great new products each month...WOW!

Diane said...

Wow...you blew me away with all your projects...I LOVED that postcard...what a clever and wonderful idea....if I had any doubts (which I didn't...lol) of wanting this set, you certainly would of changed my mind with this post...gorgeous creations!!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oeh, these are so gorgeous!!! Love how you made that postcard especially! That's gorgeous! Love all the details you use on all projects, they look amazing! Almost can't believe all is made by hand, it's so perfect! Love, love, love these and like these ladies before me: gotta have them, ha ha! You do know ho to make us want to use these as well!
Hugs, Wendy

Joy said...

Love these creations Michelle, so stunning and fun...lots of goodness and inspiration to view..thanks for sharing your talents, hugs!

Tasha said...

oh wow these are completely inspiring projects, such fun design, i love the stamps you used
love tasha xx

Renee said...

LOVE it!
Absolutely fabby...
all of it!
Just died when I got up this morning and ran to see what the preview was today and it was exactly what I've been waiting for!:)
Every project you did is amazing...
love that postcard the best though!
Hafta, hafta, hafta HAVE!
Again...amazing...
love all that you do!:)

Cammie said...

Thank you for all the creative ideas you shared with the concept for these stamp sets and with wonderful inspiration for using them. I am very excited about this set. I've been enjoying playing with the vintage button set, and I can't wait to play with these sets too.

Kristy Hansenwi said...

this was such a great post. thank you for sharing all the techniques you used. I have got to get these stamps and die cuts. Love Love Love what you did. thank you for sharing.

LittleSurferGirl said...

Michelle, you are simply amazing. The vintage style has never been "me," but for some reason, I am so attracted to it. Yours is the first blog I look at in the morning and I simply LOVE your style. These sets may push me over the edge to give this look a try. Thanks so much for your continued inspiration.
Amy

Chelsea said...

Wow. All of these samples are so so beautiful! Each one is special in it's own way. Awesome job.

Unknown said...

I want it all, I want it all, I want it all!!! Wow what awesome projects!

Sallie424 said...

Oh, I love mail art and you post is so very, very enticing. I just know you yourself must be a fun person to know. I want to be your neighbor :)
Sallie in VA

Heather Rogers said...

Fabulous creations Michelle. You have some great ideas, and I am glad to see them all in these 2 sets. You girls did an amazing job combining your fab ideas. Thanks for all the great sets. :)
Hugs~

Diane Jaquay said...

LOVE each and every project you created here Mish! Wonderful ideas!

Melisa Hunter said...

Such beautiful creations! I love your collage work. I can't wait to get this stamp set!

Gabby said...

OMGosh! That envelope is a piece of art! And the postcard ... gorgeous ... love, love that set and the dies are great, too! :)

Theresa said...

I am a postage and ledger a-holic! I can't get over how awesome this set is! Oh man...I am in BIG financial trouble! LOVE IT ALL!

BethieJ said...

I LOVED everything you shared today. what FABULOUS sets! Cant wait til they are living at my house too! :)

Unknown said...

Wow Mish, you are blowin it away with this post! You've done an amazing job highlighting SO many different projects!! I really love both of these sets and think they'll help integrate my old love for Altered Books with my new love for card-making.

Turtle In The Sand said...

This set is great and your idea for stamping a postage mark on a butterfly is totally awesome.

Rebecca Ednie said...

You may be thinking of this blog. http://www.giverslog.com/?tag=13-ounces-or-less

She figures out how to mail all kinds of cool things that are 13 oz or less, the point at which the postal rates start to get very expensive. She's mailed a frisbee, a water bottle and a few other kooky and odd shaped but very fun items.

Hope this helps!

Your projects are delectable!! I'm so into vintage stuff so the shabby chic possibilities with the new PTi sets make me so happy!

Unknown said...

It was that yellow tulip card that sold me on this set. Beautiful, really shows how this new set can be used with other already purchased sets, and I loved the colors. I also learned something new about purple being compimentary to yellow, I need to remember that b/c everything I am making lately has a great deal of yellow. Wow, your creativity is just amazing. Thank you as always for sharing your talent.

Denise Young said...

Love all three. thanks for the inspiration.

Judy said...

Such creativity! I love all of your designs. Thanks!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

WOW! Another awesome set inspired by you! I love all the vintage goodies.

Jeanne said...

I am always amazed to see the incredible details you add together!!!!!!! Love the postage stamp theme! I love the elements that can be combined! It looks like between the labels and postage, these could be incorporated into any card or project!! Thank you again for your inspiration!

Unknown said...

Wonderful, Mish. Simply wonderful. I've been thinking about making flat cards and your postcard idea is perfect! Thanks for all of your fabby ideas. Can't wait to get these stamps in my hands. The only drawback? Waiting for shipping time!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I'm with JeanFB, I need them ALL! Love this set...

Anonymous said...

I am really loving this set. You continue to inspire me. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Jessica Rodarte said...

I love Dennison labels! They've been all the rage over at my blog for a while.
I love the new stamps you helped design. I'll definitely be picking those up! :)
I think I will have to copy your mail art, too! What a neat idea.

Sherrie said...

Love it, love it, gotta have it! I knew if your name is attached it was going to be one I'd love. Thank you for sharing such beautiful and fun projects!

vikki said...

♥these are great! been wanting to order the button cards die & stamp set{still backordered!}...now have more i want...when you use the inks on the white adhesive backed papers when you die cut... what inks do you use? was wondering if it smeared? just curious...? love. your posts & all is very inspiring... thank*U! hugs & blessings, vikki♥

Anonymous said...

Totally excited bout these Postmarks, Mish!!! What amazing, inspiring projects - thanks so much ;)
Now I just have to start saving my pennies. Hard.
Hugs, Ruth S

Related Posts with Thumbnails