March 2, 2011

Birthday Package Cards..

Today I thought I would whip up a few more cards for the stash basket. One for You, One for Me style. I really love the Papertrey sets Make a Wish + Make A Wish Additions + the coordinating dies. Melissa really had her thinking cap on when she designed this set and the fun dies. Looking for birthday type sets? Check out the birthday category of stamps at Papertrey Ink. I must ink up Piece of Cake soon. I LOVE that set that Nichole designed.

I set out first to create some whimsical, stacked packages. I die cut two sizes of square packages using Cosmo Cricket and some other unknown patterned paper (maybe Jillibean?). I then die cut the topper ribbon and cut the *stem* part off a bit. This will tuck behind the packages. Since I'm stacking two packages, I wanted a longer piece of paper that looked like both packages were tied up together with a bow on top. I simply cut a thin strip of paper from some scraps to get the look.
Next up, I stamped the cute, scalloped present stand in Dark Chocolate ink and adhered the pile of presents on top. This makes for a very tall accent piece...a little more tricky to work with because it's hard to add a lot of other accents or background paper because this element takes up a lot of space. I stitched around the present accent piece for some added texture then placed this piece on my card front to eye ball how much space I had left to work with. I ended up using the largest of the scalloped dies to create a vertical border piece along the left edge of my cards.
Next up, I wanted some sort of sentiment on the card front. I used the smaller of the pennant die from the Double-Ended Banners collection. I stamped my sentiment, added a little machine stitching and tied up some Aqua Mist Vintage Buttons with Rustic Cream Twine.
I added some more patterned paper to the background for that mixy match look that I love so much. Sometimes it's fun to create your backgrounds first then decided what to add for a focal point. It's a good way to get the creativity flowing.
And here are my cards all finished. I just love the colors and patterns.
I ended up placing the little pennant piece over the legs of the cake stand....no room anywhere else if I wanted to keep a sentiment on the front. I love the overlapping look though
And I really love the litte stack of cards that I created. One for You, One for Me style.
Hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by today.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute cards Mish! I love the 'One for you, one for me' way of crafting - so handy when I need a card at the last minute (like when hubby asks me the night before a work colleague's birthday!). I can just whip something suitable out from my stash ;)
Thanks for the inspiration, Ruth S

Jean Franks Beck said...

Looooove it!

lisa westphal said...

Ohhhh my goodness! These are darling!!! Love them!! You are so awesome. :)
(You are right -the baby blue floral patterned paper is definitely Jillibean Soup. . one of my faves!) ;)

crazymom said...

Oh these are so cute. I love them. I actually dont think there has been anything you do that I dont love!! Im in the mood for some spring looking notepads. Any cute ideas coming to you? Thanks for sharing.

lauraleewebb said...

Soooo... Pretty! I may have to put that stamp set and dies in my cart.

Laura Pryor said...

Oh My WORD!!!! These are so FABULOUS!!! I JUST got the dies and stamp set in the mail this week and I can't WAIT to get to playing now! Thanks for the inspiration. Love the stacking you did with the presents. GENIUS!

Sharon said...

These are so pretty, I love the colors and papers you use. So springy!

Unknown said...

Adorable. Great paper combinations.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

cute cards! I love the mixy matchy papers!

Denise Young said...

great cards. I love this idea. Fabulous!

Lynn said...

Love the new blog header...just says "springtime".

Anne Tussing said...

Great cards! Love the various dp and colors you used! The pile of presents looks so fun:)

Unknown said...

I love how you put pattern papers together. I am always learning something new. I like the light, airy feeling of these cards, I am so ready for Spring.
Thank you for all the wonderful blog posts. I always look forward to visiting you everyday.

Robin said...

Thanks so so much for your inspiration with this set! I bought it and haven't really put to good use yet... this little tutorial has inspired me!! Cheers! Robin

Eveline said...

Great cards.
Eveline.

Kelly Ann Taylor said...

Simply adorable, Michelle!

Your new blog header is to die for cute!

XO!

Teri said...

Hmm... one for you and one for me... do you need my address to send mine?? LOL!! They are so precious... I loved it when you just had it on the plain cardstock and then you worked your magic!! Incredible! I love how your mind works!!! And I love the treasures you got at the auction!!! Score!
hugs,
Teri

Related Posts with Thumbnails