October 12, 2010

Friendship Jar Holiday Fillers

After much anticipation I am happy to announce that Papertrey will be releasing a Friendship Jar Holiday Fillers stamp set on the 15th of this month.  Woohoo, friends!  Today I'd like to share a fun holiday project with you using the sugar cookie stars and the original jar image from Friendship Jar.

I have lots of photos to share today so let's get started.  First, I die cut jar images using the coordinating Jar & Lid die.  I then stamped the jar outline image and the star sugar cookies.  Using my handy dandy Copic markers, I colored the jar image with the BG colors and the cookie outline with the E00 color.  I also die cut the label image and stamped the dotty border from Friendship Jar Fall Fillers.  The wonderful Distressed Dots patterned paper will also be released on the 15th of this month.  I great basic to add to your paper stash.
Next, I colored the cookie frosting with the Copic markers shown below, choosing a light and dark version that closely matched my patterned paper.  Tip:  I color the lightest color first, then outline with the darker color...then blend with the lighter color again.  Presto.
Next, I add some blingity bling to my sugar cookies to make them look a little dimensional.  I used a white gel pen to color in some of the sprinkles and then some glittery Stickles for some puffy areas.
To finish up my jar tags, I tied them with Red Baker's Twine and a coordinating color of Vintage Buttons.  The jars were then attached to Tag Sale #2 dies, cut with PTI's Shimmer Cardstock.  I used Pink, White and Gold for my tags.  Soooo pretty.  And shimmery..imagine that!
Next up, I thought it would be fun to share the most delicious sugar cookie recipe in the world this holiday season.  So I printed off the recipes onto White Cardstock (font is Little Days) and adhered them to coordinating shimmery die cut Library Card Tags.
The frosting recipe was adhered to the back of the big tag.  I used the same light marker to highlight the recipe titles.  I love doing that.  It reminds me of all those days of studying and highlighting definitions....but no studying is involved. Only fun markers and yummy recipes.
And here are three completed tags made up in green, pink and yellow.  So fun and cheery for the holiday season.
Along the bottom of my recipe card, I stitched coordinating buttons to XL cut Rick Rack Border felt in white.  I love the candy cane stripe of the Red Baker's Twine.  I tied the two tags together using coordinating colored PTI ribbon.  These can be tied to a cookie plate during a fun holiday cookie exchange.  Afterwards, the recipe can be separated and kept in a recipe box or book, the size is just right.
Now let's party.  Doesn't the idea of holiday cookie exchange sound like so much fun?  Everyone brings cookies and you go home with all kinds of goodies.  Something like that, right?  The cookies that I would bring are called Sour Cream Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting.  Heavenly.  Sinful.  All in one.  I found the recipe on Sherelle Christensen's blog and have been giddy ever since.  I searched far and wide for cookies that resembled the Loft House cookies from my grocery store.  These are it, baybee.  Come to mama.  They bake up so nice and are a little crunchy....but the magic happens after you frost the cookies and let them sit a while.  Back to that heavenly and sinful thing.  Seriously, as Josey would say.
So after you've eaten like 2 or 3 or 10 cookies, you save some for the actual cookie trays.  For my cookie exchange party I would totally use these adorable aluminum serving baskets and trays that I've been collecting.  So cute!
Don't worry about using traditional holiday colors.  If you want to use pink, use pink.  I used some vintage fabric and a pretty place mat for my table setting so it would match my pink cookies.  I think one of those pipe cleaner trees would be adorable with this setting too.  And vintage pink tree ornaments scattered around.
For my guests, I would have lots of the recipe card tags clipped to my favorite cookie jar that is filled with candy canes.
Guests could fill their little trays with cookies and taste as they go along.  Little sprinkles in silver dishes would make great decorations.
And as the evening wound down, each guest would fill their little tray...and take a recipe tag of their liking.  I think some take out boxes of some sort would be a great way to package up the chosen cookies.
Sooo fun to dream up this little cookie exchange party.  I might just have to plan a real one this holiday season, how 'bout you?  :)  Hope you enjoy.....and if you're like me, this post will totally get you into the holiday spirit.  Be sure to check Nichole's blog for even more countdown fun!!

41 comments:

Laura Isham said...

Love your project. Can't wait to try the recipe!

Anonymous said...

love the jar tag idea!! one question, though. how much is 1/2 cube of butter???!!! thanks!!!

SharonD said...

LOVE THOSE TAGS!!!
Haven't been on the Friendship Jar bandwagon to date but you mighta got me!

SharonD said...

AND THE COOKIES!
Forgot to mention the cookies. They sound yummo! Sinful...but yummo! Going to organise me a cookie exchange party!

Ingrid Danvers said...

Great tags, Mish. And yummy cookies too. I love the way you photograph your projects. Can't wait to put this set in my cart!

Kelly S. said...

So awesome, Mish! Love this set, and what an awesome post to share with us!

Deepa M. said...

Yeah for the new set!! Loving the images I've seen so far :) Your tags are gorgeous and your 'dream' cookie exchange just made me hungrier .... thanks a lot! ;) So excited for the release :)

Jessie said...

So excited for this new set! I love the additions! Your cards are wonderful! Thanks for another great set!

Unknown said...

I have to tell you how much I love this WHOLE collection you have designed! I cannot wait to get this new set and stamp, stamp, stamp! I hope you continue the entire year with more filler sets. I LOVE the jar handle idea. SUPER genius!

vicki B. said...

Oh you clever girl you! You have out done yourself for sure this time! Love this look - you make it look so great each and every time you create a new set of stamps for your little jar. Love it! congrats on this month's release.

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wooohoooo, doin' the dance of joy! Fab.U.Lous. I'm so happy you've done the holiday friendship jar fillers - I love your project, and I just "ran" over to Nichole's blog to see the rest of the peek. This set is magnificent, Mish. Can't wait to put it in my cart tomorrow night! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Lynn said...

I've been waiting for this one...adorable!

Carol (HB) said...

OMG! This is so far over the top cute that I need binoculars!
(now I have a real craving for a cookie)

Judy said...

Mish, you are a gem! I love your new set and your new inspiring ideas. I'm especially drawn to your designs as many are so practical for a newbie colorist like me. I actually think that I'll feel accomplished after making so many of your new projects. Again, thanks for the inspiration!

Crafting Katie said...

OMG, what a cute stamp set! I love what you did with it and the cookies. Great ideas!

Patty from FL said...

Another reason to get all the Friendship Jar components. I love this Christmas one!

Ayana Posadas said...

This is such a fabulous product! I love the colors and the details. Sot pretty! :)

Unknown said...

You are killin' me!! I want to see more! Show me more, show me more!!!!

katemade designs said...

Love these fillers they will have to come live with me this year. And that tag - so making that this year. Thanks for all your inspiration.

Patty J said...

So so cute and it looks delicious too. Fabulous!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Fabulous tags and yummy cookie recipe! Now I want to plan a cookie exchange just to make tags up!

Renee said...

YUMMY!!! And the tags are cute too (*giggle*)! Seriously though, LOVE them! Have been waiting for this set and I'm sooo in love! And then my excitement builds with the hint that there could be even more to add next year!!:) Love the handle addition (used to have glasses just like them...) Gorgeous!

peggysue said...

So cute!! And those cookies look great, do they come gluten free????

Connie F. said...

Love the sugar cookie tags! My mouth is watering for some sugar cookies now! I need to go home and dig out Sherelle's recipe and make a batch. I love cookie exchange parties---think I will use your inspiration and plan one!

noomiy said...

lovely colours! :)
I love it! And cakes too :)

Marci said...

Well, now I just want a big 'ole sugar cookie!! I have been the lone hold out on this set...your post today has pushed me over the edge! Your samples are amazing! *LOVE* how you think through every little detail. Such an inspiration!! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your projects and blog postings. They are very much appreciated!!!

Connie Pruitt said...

I will be ordering this new filler set. I ordered the 3 other sets and am anxiously waiting for them to come.

Heather Rogers said...

Hey girl! I just wanted to tell you this set looks adorable. I wasn't going to order this time because nothing really got me. As soon as I saw your set I knew I was sold. I have many ideas. :)
Love your recipe card ideas. Have a great week Michelle.

Tracey McNeely said...

I love today's post, well I love all your posts, buttoday is super fun. I just wish you and the whole PTI team were my sisters down the street. lol

Pat said...

Cute ideas, Mish! I also collect alluminum trays (oops, almost spelled that "treys" LOL!). Some of them were wedding presents Mom received, the rest have come from antique shops. Love them.

Lynn Put said...

Oh my goodness, everything about this post is so yummy looking, the cookie jar tags/recipes and the real cookies!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing this new set come tomorrow night!
Thanks

♥Wendi said...

Oh, so absolutely adorable. You have done it again! Sugar cookies...mmmm...my favorite!!!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Well aren't these just incredibly delightful! Fantastic project Michelle (I type this as I munch on a Loft House cookie from my grocery store...lol!) :D

Lisa Petrella said...

LOVE this project!! I am completely addicted to the Friendship Jar series---total genius, girl!!! And I can't wait to try your cookie recipe!!! Sounds ultra yummy!!!!!!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

What a lovely project! So yummy!

Renee said...

I am in love with this new set! I can't wait till I can buy tonight....thank you for all your great creations!

GAZ said...

Wonderful projects...thanks for all you share. How about sharing the sugar cookie recipe (pink ones you showed). They sound wonderful!

Cindy said...

Your recipe sounds wonderful - just curious - what's a cube of butter, is that equal to a 'stick' of butter?

Anonymous said...

I would love to buy one of your recipe card tags. Will you be putting them for sale in your etsy shop?
Thanks,
Diane R. Stevens
diane.stevens@comcast.net

Kelly Bee said...

I love this idea too and I want to make the cookies - yum! I'd like to know how much a half a cube is as well...I googled it but got different answers.

Valerie said...

What size "package" of powder sugar did you use? Box or bag? what measurement? Thanks for sharing - I am hoping to make these as soon as you have time to answer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails