January 19, 2010

Winter scene birthday card...

This month I need a birthday card for my uncle. Since it's still snowy and blustery outside I thought a winter themed card would be appropriate. Nichole's new Papertrey set called Through the Trees was the perfect set to reach for. It's a great nature and guy themed set all in one.

To create my winter scene, I used two shades of blue Copic markers shown above, Clearly Creative Cardstock and a Brown Stazon Ink Pad. I stamped the trees image onto the clear cardstock with the Brown Stazon ink pad. I then trimmed my image to the desired finished size. Next I turned my stamped image over to work on the back side. It's really easy to make the blue background. Simply color back and forth across the clear cardstock. I used the darker marker on the top and the lighter marker on the bottom, using one marker for each half of my piece of clear cardstock.
When you place the colored image onto a neutral background like Rustic Cream Cardstock, the blue variations of the markers resemble drifts of snow........or perhaps a winter lake scene with blue sky in the background. Very beautiful and the shiny appearance of the card is very striking too.
For the rest of my card, I used patterned paper from Little Yellow Bicycle, Papertrey Enchanted Evening cardstock and ribbon, brown brads and a birthday sentiment from Vintage Picnic. For variations on this technique, use different colored markers to resemble a sunset or perhaps a rainbow.

Have a great day everyone! Today is the 19th which means it's my first personal day of my 12 Days of Me concept. I really am too swamped to take the day off but I've planned for it, and have been looking forward to it....so here goes!! Check back later, I might even pop in to let you know of my scrapbooking progress. :)

9 comments:

Karen said...

Great card. I do think it can be a perfect guy card, that is why I ordered this set. Love the idea of using the markers to make a scene on the back of the clear image. You are always thinking outside the box. Have a fabulous personal day.

Alexis said...

Beautiful, i think I'm going to have to try that technique. Awesome!!

Basement Stamper said...

What a great card, and love how you did the background. Definitely going to have to try that technique

Elizabeth S. said...

Beautiful card! Love it. Thanks for sharing your technique. I am going have to give it a trh.

Kimberly Ann said...

This is a beautiful card and technique. I love the the way the copic coloring came out. I'm stealing this idea.

(PS. I will be checking back "sometime later" - just didn't want you to think I was only hanging around for some turkey bacon roll-ups and then leaving ;) I'm usually here but don't say much.

Cardmaking-Companion said...

I think your "12 days of me" is a great idea - I think I'm going to try and use this idea just not sure when I can start it!!
As to the card - it's lovely - I really like your idea of colouring the reverse side with the Copics to get that effect.

Janelle said...

This is Bee-yuu-tee-ful! Great idea! Hope you've had a great day all for you!!

Peggy Sue said...

Love the card you made. You have extraordinary ideas. Thank you for sharing. (Where can the printed paper be found?)

Unknown said...

what a beautiful card...love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails