January 11, 2010

2010 Valentine Inspiration Station

Edit: The acrylic unit that my rolls of ribbon are in was given to me by a friend who made jewelry. Sorry I don't have a source.

Hello friends. Here's what you've been waiting for...my Valentine Inspiration Station. Each holiday season, I try to have a color theme or special little items I want to use on my projects. This year, my Valentine Inspiration Station was inspired by the card below that you've seen in a previous blog post. The pinky purple tone of the button used on the doo dad sparked it all. I decided to add some purple ribbon to my card then the purple stamped hearts at the bottom. I liked the addition of purple so much that I pulled out a few items to use for my inspiration station. This year, I nestled all my goodies into an old baking sheet pan that I found at a junk shop. I put felt glides on the bottom so it can slide around on my wood table without scratching it up. All of my embellishments are nestled inside and I can easily see them and access them due to the narrow depth of the baking pan. Kinda reminds of when you go to the dentist or doctor for a procedure.....all of the tools are lined up in a little pan. Maybe I should sterilize all my little jars. :)
All of my embellishments are in light tones of pinks and purples. Nothing to dark, I plan to use a lot of tea dye inks to create a vintage look on my Valentine cards and treats this year. I love these little sticky rhinestones. They add such a nice finishing touch to projects.
Pretty pastel ribbons, trims, velvets and ric rac from my vast stash. I like to keep loose ribbon wrapped on clothes pins and secured with a stick pin. You can find these old style clothespins at The Dollar Tree...last time I looked. Notice the beat up heart tin that my ribbons are in. It was a gem of a find at the junk shop.
Old fashioned Valentines always had glitter on them. I love glitter. You love glitter. We all love glitter. It always reminds me of a story of my mom. Years ago she worked at a Hallmark factory. She recalls her favorite job was to add glitter to Valentines and then stick on a fuzzy feather. Who knew??! My glitters are from Martha Stewart, available at Michael's or Walmart, etc. I dug out a few bottles of Stickles too.
I also found some Stampin' Up! eyelets in Valentine colors. Do we use eyelets anymore? Ohhh, the beautiful buttons. I like to dress mine up with Papertrey's Rustic Twine or good old fashioned embroidery thread.
And look at this adorable little salt shaker? My friend Pine (Heather Nichols) turned me onto these. They're perfect for storing a small collection of trinkets. When out junking, look for unique salt and pepper shakers that are clear and have unique shapes or lids.
Of course I'll be using other coordinating projects in pinks and purples too. Instead of getting out too much stuff though, I left a lot of items in their regular storage spots. Like my Copics, gotta love the Copics. These are stored in a Pottery Barn Kids lazy spinner organizer.
My Papertrey ribbons will get a work out too. There are so many colors and varieties to choose from.
My favorite Valentine paper this year is from Papertrey. This collection called Simple Valentine was designed by Pine. She's getting very good at designing these patterned papers!
I'm also big into punches lately. They make quick and easy work of fun shapes, like these hearts. All of these punches are available at Papertrey Ink.
There ya go, folks. I hope you enjoy having a glimpse into my crafty world. I also hope you are inspired to create your own Valentine Inspiration Station this year. It's a great way to dig into your supplies and find goodies you probably forgot you had. Have fun and if you create your own Inspiration Station, please leave a link in the comments section. I'd love to see what you've done.

24 comments:

pinefeather said...

I so look forward to your inspiration station posts :) It makes me want to pull out all of my own stuff too see what I have. LOVE the purples and pinks this year!

Anonymous said...

I think we are all addicted to your posts! Oh My!

tinab158 said...

You're posts are so inspiring! I like how you've chosen to store your PTI ribbon...where did you find the acrylic boxes?

Debbie R. said...

I love looking at your inspiration stations. You always have the neatest things in them and I love the unique containers you put your pretties in. Thanks for all your posts, I look forward to them everyday!

wanda50 said...

I am addicted to your blog. I love your inspiration stations. Makes me happy! Glad to see your computer is fixed.

Eveline said...

Love to see all the colors together. Looks marvellous.
Eveline.

Grethebella said...

I look forward to see the cards you are going to make.
Love the colours you have picked out.

Grethe

Lindsay said...

Fabulous colors and thanks for the organization ideas! Rhinestones from Kaiserkraft are my FAV!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I love it when you share your inspiration stations with us! I get so much inspiration from it! Ü

Today we have off (teacher's in-service) and you have inpired me to create a Valentine Inspiration Station of my own. I will try to be back later with a link.

Esther Asbury said...

I just found your blog, and am already loving it! Love the valentine posts -- got me in the mood to create some valentines of my own!

Elizabeth S. said...

I love reading your blog and seeing what you come up with! You have such great ideas and helps to get the creativity going. Love the idea of the pink and purple.
Hugs,
Liz

mkayteem said...

Hi Mish -
Your Ohio diet coke with Lime friend here. Love everything you show us! Thought of you when I saw this. Have a great week!
~Mary

http://www.creaturecomfortsblog.com/home/2010/1/7/diy-paper-bird-cage-party-decor.html

patriciad said...

Ooooooooooohhh, yummy!! I love the addition of purple too.

Tami McBeain said...

I love your inspiration station posts, I love seeing all that yummy goodness all in one spot! I always look forward to seeing your lovely vintage storage goodies!

Pearlann66 said...

Super cute as always!!!
they sell those acrylic ribbon holders at Michaels, in the ribbon section. I have like 6 of them myself!!!

Karen said...

Your inspiration station is like the penny candy aisle at the drug store. So many fabulous choices, can't just chose one. Can't wait to see your cards. Love all your little jars and pans.

Wendi said...

Oh, I love your goodies. Mine is set up too. It just makes creating so much more fun. I love the addition of purple. Happy Day!

Denise Young said...

OMG- how many COPICS do you have? hahahaha- I am so jealous.

I love your inspiration station posts. All your items are so coordinated and beautiful. TFS

Sharon said...

Thanks so much for sharing all your goodies! It gives me such great ideas - I ran by our local Dollar Tree this morning but no clothes pins...do you remember what section they were in? Thanks!

Shirlann said...

Thanks for sharing your inspiration station..I think many of us look forward to seeing them!! How do you store your PTI ribbons? Your vintage finds are really great! I have an ol' wooden butter box on my stamp desk that holds my acrylic stamp blocks, and easy to reach thing-a-mig jigs! Thanks for the great organization ideas!

Kristy Hansenwi said...

I love this idea. Right now I have all my red/pink/ valentine stuff in a shoe box and stack of paper-nothing organized like you do. But you inspire me to do this. I like the ribbon idea of clothes pins--keep more in one space I think. and then they are crinkled or wrinkled or creased. Thank you for the great ideas..kh

Helen F. said...

Love you inspiration station, Mish!
Such great container ideas :o)
What is that acrylic container you have spools of ribbons in? Right now my ribbon spools are in an under the bed clear container on the floor of my craft room closet, spools are piled on my desk, in a drawer, and on a long spindle suspended in the closet. Yikes!

Helen F. said...

Thx, just saw your answer :O)

Gabriela said...

Mishie - where oh where do you buy those old fashioned (round) wooden clothespins? My ribbon is a gnarled mess and all kinked up. Pathetic, I know. To make matters worse, I don't have a clue where to purchase those wonderful wooden clothespins. I wonder if you'd be so kind to share your secret with me please. I'm at: gabriela dot divine at verizon dot net. Thanks a great big bunch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails