January 12, 2010

Top Ten & Additions....6 x 12 pages

Edit: The divided page protectors that I use are from We R Memory Keepers. The link does not show all of the page protectors options available though. I find mine at my local scrapbook store and Archiver's. If you can't find them, ask your local scrapbook store if they can order them for you. They are available online also, just use your search engine to look them up. I also use We R Memory Keeper's Leather albums. Ring type albums are all I use now, no more post albums for me.

I am so excited about Dawn's new set coming out this month at Papertrey Ink. Nichole is previewing this set too so be sure to check out her blog. It's a set that can be used for cards.......or SCRAPBOOKING! Yay! Although I haven't posted many of my scrapbook pages, I am very passionate about scrapbooking. The joy that I get from scrapbooking my family's memories just can't be described. I'll be carving out much more time for my scrapbooking so you'll be seeing more of my layouts on my blog.

On to Dawn's great new set. It's called Top Ten & Additions. It's a great set full of words and parenthesis (I love them!) that you can use to create lists, mixy matchy sentences, backgrounds, cards and more. Today I used the set to create a list of 10 things I love about my girls. I did two layouts, one for Josey and one for Jordan. You'll notice that the pages are little different sizes than a traditional scrapbook page. They measure 6" x 12" and are a really fun addition to the girls' albums. I'll talk more about those later.
First, let me talk about the photos and the embellishments. I printed a favorite photo in black and white of each of my girls, Jordan on the left and Jose on the right. I used the medium and large heart punches and Pine's Simple Valentine patterned paper to create a row of pretty hearts.
I stitched across the three large hearts with my sewing machine and white thread. This ties in with the stitched border I did around my 6" x 12" Kraft page. My 12 x 12 paper was from my local scrapbook store. I finished the embellishments with pink rhinestone sequins and a flower rhinestone accent. The top edge of my cream paper was edged with a Fiskars border punch with layers of pretty ribbon below.
Now for the really fun part...creating the 10 things list. Top Ten & Additions has a giant number 10 and parenthesis stamp so that you can use to create a great graphic look to pages and cards. Then you stamp the dotted lines and numbers. Then you just stamp whatever words you want all mixy matchy style. You can line the words up to the left or you can do what I've done and scatter them all over to create a more whimsical look. I mixed red and pink inks to tie in with the patterned paper colors.
Now, you'd probably never know if I didn't point it out, but I made some mistakes on my first layout. I totally smudged the word *sweet*. But it was on my main layout, what's a girl to do? You fix it, that's what! Don't sweat it and find a way to make it work. I simply stamped the word *sweet* onto a contrasting piece of paper and adhered it over my mistake with foam tape. Easy peasy, you can't even tell that I goofed. Don't worry about mistakes, there's always a fix!
One more addition to my pages was the *take note* circle embellishment. I used some scrap paper I had along with my Take Note set (the circle border, the pointing hand, take note) to create a fun focal point on my layouts. These were layered onto vintage paper doilies and then stitched with my sewing machine, messy stitch style (3 back and forth stitches). Paper clips were added to my pages as a finishing touch.
I hope you enjoyed my scrapbooking today. I'm over the top excited about doing more pages. Be sure to stop by Dawn's blog this week to see all the great creations she's been making with Top Ten & Additions.


Now about those 6 x 12 pages. They are part of a new approach I'm taking with my scrapbooking called *blended scrapbook pages*. The idea is to mix and match different page sizes within one album. You can see below how I added my 6 x 12 layouts to this year's Project Life album by Becky Higgins. These pages range from 6 x6, 8 x 8, 8.5 x 11, 12 x 12, 6 x 12 and 12 x 12 pages that have lots of various divisions with the page protector itself. (Check your local scrapbook store or on line stores for page protectors and albums, check Becky Higgins' website for the Project Life album kit). All of these pages are intermingled in one scrapbook. You just stick them in wherever you want. Pages that face each other do not have to match up with theme or color. I love this approach because there are no rules to follow. It's a good thing. I'll be talking about this blended scrapbooking method lots more as I add layouts to my blog.
Have a great day everyone!

23 comments:

Winter said...

Love your layouts! I started out scrapbooking, but then found cardmaking, but this year, I'm getting back to scarping those memories for my kids! I love Dawn's new set, it is perfect for any project! :)

Karen said...

I love those layouts! They are adorable, what a terrific way to incorporate the stamps into a scrapbook layout. I too, love scrapbooking but all too often I forget about using my stamps in a layout. I love to see the way they can be used in different ways. (It helps me justify all my Papertrey purchases!)

Liz said...

I'm not a scrapbooker, but I love this and it *almost* makes me want to start! LOL But, your ideas totally can be used for cards, too, and for that, I'm excited!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my goodness Michelle, I just absolutely love your 6 x 12s, simply gorgeous and fun. Once again I will say I love your blog!

Nancy L. said...

love the idea of different sizes! we tend to collect different sizes of paper so i'm glad we could use them all! i'm like winter, i need to do more scrapbooking!!

Harriet Hensley said...

These really give me insoiration of things I want to do.... thanks

Catherine Couch Doucette said...

Great pages, and I love this approach to scrapbooking too :0) Sometimes a 12 x 12 is just too overwhelming and I want to do a fast page!

Ruth Shanahan Allmart said...

Oh Michelle I love your layouts! I purchased Becky's Project Life mainly for the divided page protectors :) I have no intentions of trying to take a picture a day and keep up with that for a whole year. I had a hard enough time trying to keep up with my December Daily album!!! I just love the idea of putting together a more simple layout from time to time using these divided pages and calling it done. Would love to know who makes the 12x6 page protectors though. LOVE this idea of mixing up the sizes of layouts in an album too. Thanks for all your wonderful inspiration :)

Sharon said...

Wait!!! I've been using the divided, multi-size page protectors for a while - but there's one that is JUST a 6x12?? Who knew!? Pulling out some scraps of 6x12 right now - gotta go shopping for some new page protectors!! Thanks for helping feed my addition, my friend!

Sharon said...

That would be addiction ;), but I do need the addition to my collection!!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Just love your scrap pages!

Cassie_lu said...

love how you use different sizes in your layout. something I really want to start doing my self. the top 10 page looks great and so many ideas for it too.

Katie Skiff said...

There are no mistakes, only embellishment opportunitues, and you fixed it sweetly! Great layouts, and I like that you use various sizes like that. Way to be brave!!

Maureen Merritt said...

I love this!!!! I can't wait to see more of your blended scrapbook. I just came across Project life the other day and it really got my wheels turning!!! I'm not going to purchase Project Life, but make my own twist on the idea. I can't wait to get started. With this new approach, I may have a completed album at the end of the year:)

Tami McBeain said...

I love your pages, I havn't heard about blended scrapbooking but wowie, I love it. I'm off to check out Becky's Project Life album! Oh almost forgot...I love Dawn's new set, it has soooo many possibilities!

Cheryl said...

Love your blended pages. This is new to me, but I really like the idea, now need to find the 6 x 12 page protectors and add some of the other sizes too. Makes me want to get back at my scapbooking!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Wow! I'm passionate about scrapbooking too, and I love the list idea! Your page is fantastic!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

BTW, I love mixed pages! I've done it two years in a row with my 25 Days Until Christmas book. I'm going to have to think about doing it with other albums too! Funny that never occurred to me!

carmen said...

I LOVE THIS, BUT WHERE DO YOU GET THE PAGE PROCTORS FROM

Diana said...

You are so inspirational. I visit your blog first each day. Thank you for the time and effort and talent you put into your blog. You are just amazing.

Unknown said...

Love the layout. So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Love everything you do!!! Now I can finally see a way to make some scrapbooking progress....with these new page protectors in DIFFERENT SIZES!! Please tell us where to get the 6 x 12 sized pages. Are there other sizes, too?? This is a SUPER idea!!!

I will buy EVERY Papertrey stamp set you do!! Love you, Margaret S.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I have a question regarding the divided page protectors that you use.
I have several Close To My Heart post bound albums that I purchased for future use. I've been looking online to determine if the divided page protetors might fit into those post bound albums. So far I haven't found my answer. Would you happen to know, or be willing to measure the distance between the holes in the protectors? Thanks so much. Shelly McCrary
mccrary1@msn.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails