July 14, 2008

Inspiration from Nichole

I can honestly say that I've never been quite so touched by the creation of a stamp set before until now. Nichole's new stamp set called Quilter's Sampler has really tugged at my heart strings. Nichole did not just say *here's my newest stamp set*, but instead she introduced us to a love of quilting and some inspiration to go along with it. I do not quilt (yet) but I have always admired my grandmother's wonderful quilts...I always look at them at the county fair....and have thought about how much I would some day like to create wedding quilts for my girls and a quilt for my own bed.....and one for the family room to snuggle in front of the fire place, etc. Quilts to me are a labor of love. There is so much hard work put into a quilt and it has to be one of the most precious gifts you could give or receive. My grandmother made me a pastel colored quilt and used crochet to sew all the pieces together. I'll have to find it at my mom's house and take a photo someday.

Along with Nichole's new stamp set, this Quilter's Apprentice post introduces us to some wonderful books that played a part in inspiring her new quilt stamp set and matching sentiment set(which is a must have!). You can click on the Elm Creek Quilts website HERE to see the entire listing of Elm Creek books, what they're about and possibly what order you might like to read them in. I've read the first three of the series and I'm hooked! The stories are about every day women, their personal stories and their love of quilting. Even if you're not a quilter, you will like these books....just good wholesome stories, kinda like a warm glass of milk before bed. They will totally inspire you to create your own quilts....or perhaps if you're not ready to take up quilting, you can follow my lead and make some wonderful paper quilted creations using Nichole's new stamp set. Thank you Nichole for creating these wonderful stamp sets and for rekindling my love of handmade quilts.

When I was searching for inspiration on quilt designs, I headed straight for my local quilt shop. The nice lady behind the counter kind of looked at me funny when I said I was looking for card inspirations but soon she understood. I showed her a few of my samples and the stamp set and immediately she had her own ideas. She had the great idea of using the *stamped by* and other images to actually stamp a fabric label for real quilts. I must go back and chat with those ladies more.....and I might even sign up for a beginner's quilting class this fall if time allows.

I didn't buy any fabric while at the quilt shop but I did find this pattern book with this beautiful quilt on the front cover. I want to make this quilt for my bed!! And I have those chairs around my dining room table. It's so ME!

After browsing through the pattern book, I discovered that there are 2" strips of fabric rolls all bundled together called *jelly rolls*. You purchase the bundle of pre-selected fabrics to create such pattern blocks in the photo below. That was my first source of inpspiration for some quilt cards!
I went to work over the weekend and cut my own tiny strips of patterned paper to resemble *jelly roll* strips. I used paper from Cosmo Cricket and also created a polka dot sample with PTI's Polka Dot Basics stamp set.
From there I went to work creating my own little quilted creations. The one thing I discovered while working with the Quilter's Sampler set is that I get this desire to make everything *homey*.....check out all the details on this close up shot of my cards.
I'm in love with these vintage-like, soft colored cards. I might have to keep them ALL!
If you look back up to the page with all the patterned blocks, you can pick out my inspiration for each card. Here, I was inspired by the long folk heart from the quilt. (Polka Dot Basics for the background, Kraft PTI cardstock, Cosmo patterned paper, Spellbinder's scallop rectangles, hand made felt heart with buttons)
I LOOOOVE the sentiments with this set too. They're almost as good as the little quilt blocks! This is the inside of my card....two more *jelly roll* strips to tie into the front of the card.
And this card was inspired by the pine tree pattern block from the pattern book. You can scroll back up to see it. Fun, fun, fun!
And my last card was inspired by the flower box from the pattern book. Again, scroll back up to see the photo. I created the flowers with felt and a big button. The quilt block stamps are intermingled in with blocks of patterned paper squares. Tip: The quilt squares punch out perfectly with a 3/4" square punch. You definitely need to add that to your next order!
Well, I've gushed on and on now about this little quilting craze of mine. I hope you are inspired as much as I have been by Nichole and her wonderful stamp set and her suggested Elm Creek Quilts books. I would love to hear about the quilter's in your life and/or wonderful quilts you have........and if you're going to purchase these new sets. Be sure to head to the Papertrey gallery for more Quilter's Sampler and Sentiments samples.
My latest quilt was acquired at a garage sale for $5 bucks. It's tattered and worn but I can never understand how someone could get rid of a hand made quilt. So I adopted this quilt and used it for my July 4th table settings. I love it as much as if my own grandma had made it!

53 comments:

Bonnie said...

These are all so beautiful Michelle! Yes, there is nothing like a quilt with a history, and if your quilt doesn't have a history, it will!

Noelani said...

I love those cards! What great ideas. I have always thought that my cardmaking is a lot like my grandma's quilt making (the cutting up paper/fabric and putting it back together again.)
thanks for sharing with us all!

Erin said...

My favorite quilt card on the papertrey gallery tonight is the one you did withthe patterned paper for a quilt! SUCH a neat idea! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This may be your best yet

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous! I am a quilter, and you would be a FABULOUS quilter! You have the eye for it. I was so excited about this new set too and can't wait to get my order! Thanks for your fabulous blog!!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!!!! Those cards are just drop down jaw gorgeous!!! Can't wait for you to make more!!

Carol (HB) said...

Mishie, you and PTI are a match made in heaven. OMGOSH! These creations are... well, there are just no words to describe them. I adore every single one and I LOVE your story (I don't usually read them, but this one I did. Every word!)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! These cards are absolutely beautiful!! Love them all! Thanks for sharing your talent!!

Bevie Pearl said...

Your quilt cards are over the top with perfection. OMG.

Erin said...

these cards are amazing! I love them, I'd like a quilt that looks like each of them!

Anonymous said...

Mishie, these cards are beautiful! I bought this set last night and I can't wait to use it. Pairing it with Cosmo Cricket was genius. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for your constant inspiration. I love your creations.

Tricia T said...

Mish, you *have to* sign up for a beginning quilt class!! About 5 years ago one of my goals was to make one quilt block. I signed up for a beginning quilt class and was *so* hooked. I have a huge stash of fabric now, in fact I have a quilt that my daughter pieced that I need to quilt today and take to the quilt shop to enter in a challenge. The books by J. Chiavarini (Elm Creek Quilters) really fueled my passion for it. I don't know how anyone can read them and not want to quilt. I was just commenting to my husband this morning how much I love this set. I really shouldn't get it, cuz we're in the process of buying a house that needs some work. But, I know it will be on my Christmas list!

Oh - the only problem with quilting is that it vies for time with stamping... I have a horrible time making time for both of them, but I *collect* for both of them... YIKES!!

Gorgeous, gorgeous cards. I think I'll print out this post so I can case them after Christmas!! :)

Tami McBeain said...

I am totally in love with your cards Mish, and I love the account of your creative journey to make them. Papertrey is a perfect fit for you and you've done them proud with this set!

Emma Fewkes said...

I visit your blog every day ... and this post really knocked my socks off! You are amazing, these are so truly beautiful ~ thank YOU for inspiring ME! Stamping Hugs!

Karen said...

The cards are amazing! You can feel the love in each card and I am not sure I could part with them. I have a totally handmade quilt (no machine stitching on it) that I have had for 30 years and I am here to tell you anything that you put on your bed that is mass produced for todays market is nothing like the warm feeling you get with a handcrafted quilt. I think quilting appeals to cardmakers because of the handmade, personally created work of art. Didn't mean to ramble but I love the idea of expressing quilting through cards and you did a tremendous job.

Scrap for Joy said...

I must read 20 or so blogs every day and I have to say that your projects are consistantly the best of the best! In following your blog for the past year+, I am always amazed at the way you balance your life....family, work and art. Thank you for sharing your talent with your readers. I haven't quilted for years but I do collect quilts and this PTI set is on my "must have" list. Your creations are certainly little pieces of art-suitable for framing! If you visit my blog, you will see that I have passed on 2 awards to you that were passed to me by Vicki Chrisman.
~Joyce

Debbi T said...

Winner - we have a winner here!
GREAT cards Mishy - I love how you think.....and what your thoughts become!

wendy peatross said...

Love all of your quilt card ideas. I love quilts and have done it off and on between stamping and other stuff. Thanks for the fun ideas.

Unknown said...

Mish these are all just gorgeous!! They would look beautiful framed and hung on a wall with a pretty quilt under them! I just got The Quilters Apprentice and am LOVING it! Nichole truly inspired us all this month! :) Thanks for sharing your process and work!

shelley- aka hairchick said...

Beautiful!! Stunning! I looove them! Great Job!

Cris A said...

These are just gorgeous!! I have that same paper (with the pink background) and can't wait to use it when my set arrives!! Hope it's not too long.

Anonymous said...

I just love these cards. I love to make pieced cards. I use the quilting templates to create my circles and ovals,and other basic shapes in a system of sizes.
Thanks again for sharing.

Cat Tidwell said...

Well, you have explained exactly how I felt over this stamp set! I dont quilt either, but have always been drawn to them, my grandmother was the quilter in the family and I have a few of her quilts...they are old and tattered but I still cherish them! I purchased both stamp sets last night (among other things, lol) and cant wait to get them!

DeeDee said...

WOW! What lovely cards Mish....my Aunt quilts and she recently made me a lovely table runner for my dining room table.... GORGEOUS I tell ya!!! My Granny had a "Bonnet" quilt that I loved to snuggle in when I was a little girl!!! Thanks for all the neat inspiration!!!! HUGS!!

Anonymous said...

I am a quilter (only in theory lately) and this has totally inspired me. I sent a link to the new stamp sets to my sister who stamps and understands me totally - so I'm hoping I'll have the set come Christmas time :) Your cards are BEAUTIFUL!! It's easy to tell by your card designs and color choice that you would make gorgeous quilts! What a great idea to make those jelly strips. Thanks for ALL of the inspiration - maybe I'll even pull out my in progress quilt!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are just absolutely beautiful.....thanks for sharing....you are so so talented!!!

Cindy C.

Anonymous said...

WOW....I cant get over how beautiful your cards are.
Im speechless.
Absolutely AMAZING. You are a great inspiration to me...and Im sure many many others. Love the quilt cards. Im going to convince myself I can do this..and give it a try. Thank you for sharing all your time and talents with us.
ansa

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh these are so sweet. Love everything about them, I was trying to hold off on ordering this set, but you have pushed me over the edge!

Maureen said...

As usual you blow me away with your creativity!! I *love* all of these, especially the heart one, and want to try making some too. Thank for the inspriration!!

Anonymous said...

These are just beautiful every single one. This set is just beautiful too. I can't wait to get mine. TFS!

Bevie Pearl said...

Mish......Your quilt cards are awesome......I am gasping for air..I hyperventilate when I see projects that take my breath away..and your PT projects do just that. :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post and beautiful cards. I've never taken a moment to let you know that I check out your blog every single day (sometimes more than once a day!) but I do, and let me tell you I am always amazed with the unique and spectacular creations you come up with. I'm in awe of your talent, girl! You do not disappoint!

Anonymous said...

oh, those cards are so yummy! i love the heart one..all that gorgeous pink! i am all about homey, homemade, and country...i adore quilts and am blessed to have a mother-in-law from maine...she has made me several quilts along with teaching me to quilts...the ones i cherish are the ones that my husband's grandmother made and some vintage quilts that my grandmother gave me years ago...i love the hand stitching on those, truly, truly a work of love!

thank you for sharing...and, get quilting, you will LOVE it!
chelle

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful Mish! Love the soft colors and the use of felt! Love them all!!

Adoree said...

Your cards are absolutely awesome!!
So much creativity! It just amazes me how you can come up with these ideas and thoughts and create them so we can see them and inspire us!
You're such an inspiration!
Don't ever stop creating! What a great gift you have!

Terri said...

Nice job on your quilt cards. I am a quilter and get a lot of inspiration for my cards from quilts too. I am definitely going to have to give those books a try now. There is a picture of a recent quilt I made for the last Papertrey GSS contest if you want to check it out. http://terrbear38.blogspot.com/2008/06/bitty-baby-blessings-projects.html I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Stefanie Staniak said...

It is such a pleasure to view your art work but what makes it that much more special, is your beautiful dialog. I'm forever impressed with your work and can hardly wait to get my hug on Friday !! :)

Priscilla Heistad said...

Your quilt cards are stunning, and your expressions about quilts shows you're just one step away from being hooked!

I love the idea of using quilts for inspiration. I am a quilter and have several pattern books that I'm going to take out an use for card making. Thanks for the great idea!

Shari said...

Your creations are absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Anonymous said...

Mish, these cards are absolutely perfect! They look exactly like what one would envision a treasured, sweet quilt to be. You've just gone and done it! ;)

Melisa said...

I just love these cards! You creativity is amazing. I would like to try something similar to give my mother who loves Amish quilts and has one for every season. If I can get to it, I'll send you an e-mail to share what I came up with based on your creative talent! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I am literally, blown away, by these cards. I was thinking about getting this set, but I rushed over as soon as I saw these. Just really touching and beautiful. I don't think I've ever enjoyed card samples more than this.

liannallama said...

wonderful cards! So homey and sweet! My favorite is the pink heart one!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Oh me oh my!!!! These cards are beautiful!! I never thought to look in my quilt books for inspiration!! Thank you for the idea!!
I love Heart & Home! Their style is so much like mine. I bet you will get into quilting soon. It is so relaxing and a wonderful winter project. Ü

Have fun at CHA!! Can't wait to hear all the fun things you learned.

barb mann said...

Mish these qult cards are absolutely breathtaking. Nicole's new quilt set & phrases are fabulous. I would love to lead some of your fans to my daughter's Etsy fabric store Fabricworm for some gorgeous materials. They are bigger & brighter than your current creations but I see lots of potential for any quilters amongst us. I don't know if the link will work but I'll give it a try:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5973558
Happy Quilting & Stamping

Geny said...

Hi Michelle,
Just wanted to let you know how inspiring your Quilters Sampler designs (and all of your designs) are to me. It is so much fun (and such an honor) to be on a design team with such a talented stamper like you! I agree that Nichole's set has made me want to make a quilt!
Geny

CreativeMish said...

This is on my wish list. Hopefully payday! You're cards are fabulous! I love how you used the strips of paper.

Anonymous said...

I'm in big trouble - now my quilting books are going to start mingling with my craft supplies!! Your creations are awesome... rita w

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Michelle all of your quilt cards are just beautiful!!. Your work has always been top notch, but these are above and beyond. Beautifully done. Now I want the paper, and the stamps. Linda Duke

Janet said...

My grandmother is a quilter. She has made hand-stitched and machine-stitched quilts. She has a regular old Kenmore with just the basic stitches, but she makes beautiful quilts. I still have the one she made me when I was about 5. It is tattered and in storage since it is now about 41 years old! I still remember her quilting on an old pedal machine when I was little. It was a big deal when she got her first ELECTRIC machine. LOL Now the talent has skipped a generation and MY daughter quilts. She is only 17, but she has made some beautiful pieces. She makes wall hangings, table runners and pillows mostly. I am so glad that she does it. I never was much of a seamstress. Thanks for sharing and now I am putting these stamps on my wishlist!

Charmaine said...

These are abosolutely STUNNING! I love what you did with all of them.

Charmaine

Lynn Put said...

WOW, these are such beautiful cards! I love the colors and papers that you used along with the felt and buttons! Its a great cross between quilting and paper crafting!

Cindy Lyles said...

The soft colors and paper are perfect with this new set, which I now must get thanks to this post - you are AMAZING MISH!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails