July 22, 2008

A Perfect Shopping Day......Priceless!

Hi everyone, I'm back from CHA and am back in the swing of things at the home front. I'm dragging though...these trips really take it out of me. I saw lots of new and old friends....got tons of great ideas.....saw all the latest and greatest products....ate some fabulous food and more! I'll be sure to share some of my favorites from CHA when I get those photos sorted.

For today, I created some fun cards for my girls. I just felt like putzing around in my stamp room yesterday but didn't really know what I wanted to create. Then the girls got up and we started talking about school starting soon and what new things we needed. So I decided to make them each a card that they could write their shopping list items on the inside.

I'm still loving my new October Afternoon patterned papers so I dug those out of my stash, along with Papertrey's Wise Owl. I thought that the owl would work well for school shopping, being they are are so *wise* and it would work into my school theme. The kits of October Afternoon paper contained lots of cut outs, photo corners and scalloped borders so it was easy to put together collage type cards. I paper pieced the owls onto some polka dot patterned paper, the beak and bellies onto solid pink card stock and then stamped the eyes onto PTI white card stock. I added some Ranger Glossy Accents to the eyes to make them pop even more. The front owl pieces were tied with Papertrey Dark Chocolate Ribbon.
Then for the inside of the card, I used some lined ledger paper from the OA kit....added some more of the fun owl stamps on punched circles........and then stamped *my shopping list* using the PTI Simple Alphabet stamp set. I'm going to have the girls fill our their lists and then carry the cards with them on our school shopping day. School shopping is one of my favorite things to do....I loved getting new pencils, paper, markers, book bags, etc as a child so I want to make it just as fun for my girls. We'll take the entire day to shop, try on clothes, eat lunch and make some fun memories.
Along with the cards, I'm going to give the girls a bag full of snacks, some juice boxes and spending money for the day. They'll be so surprised!! Then afterwards, we come home and lay out all the goodies for Dad to see. This is exactly what I would do too, so fun!!
Tip of the day: Above I have a photo of some Ranger Distress Ink and the foam applicator that attaches to a wooden stamper type block. While at CHA, I stopped to watch Tim Holtz for a little bit and he used the inker in a cool way to add distress shading to projects. Instead of holding the paper in one hand the inking tool in the other and *flicking* the paper edges.........he placed the paper onto a craft mat and then inked it by sliding the inked tool onto the paper edges. He inked the tool then started on the craft mat then overlapped the paper edges, rubbin in a circular motion. This gives THE softest application of ink. If you want just a little shading, you just go in with the tool a little bit. If you want more shading you move the inking tool in further. VERY cool tip I learned so I had to share it!

25 comments:

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

Those cards are such a fun idea! And I know what you mean about school shopping being one of your favorite things. I plan on making it exciting for my girls when they are school-aged as well. There is nothing like new clothes and office supplies! :)

Karen said...

Glad you had a great time at CHA. Trips are so much fun and exhausting all at the same time. The girls will be so excited about shopping day. The cards are adorable.

Michelle Tech said...

I love your shopping idea! I'll try to adapt it to my kindergarten boy...thanks for the tip, too!

Shelly said...

Yummy colors, so cute! Thanks for the TH tip too!

Cris A said...

What a great idea! I wish my boys would get excited over stuff like that but they are just WAY too cool! I just love that patterned paper!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

You are such a wonderful mom!! Those cards for the girls are beautiful as well as a very fun way to make a list.

Can you show a tutorial on the T. Holtz tip you shared? I am such a visual person and I'm not quite getting it.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Missed you.

Love the shopping lists you made for your girls. You and I could be sisters--I so identify with your love of shopping for school supplies, coming home to show dad, the whole bit! Your cards will be such a special memory. What a great Mom!

My only question--how on earth do you manage to be so creative when you have to be exhausted just returning from the show? Could you please bottle whatever it is and send me some?

Michelle said...

These are absolutely ADORABLE! Love the colors and the eyes on the owls. Very Cute!

Anonymous said...

ADORABLE! and, a great idea! my daughter and i have to take survival kits into any office supply stores we go into..cause we could spend HOURS in there! we are both office supply freaks! we used to get a HUGE 2" thick catalog delivered to the door when Nic was little and she would jump up and down when it came...spending hours circling things ! she has a post-it note collection like you wouldn't believe! we can't wait for school shopping!
chelle

Unknown said...

Love the owl cards...such great ideas!

glitter girl said...

Look at that beautiful retro paper. I am in love once again with your amazing creations.
Do you buy most of your patterned paper from your LSS? I always look in mine for paper that I've seen you use, but maybe they're not that big, or just don't seem to have the same stuff...

Stephanie said...

These are so freakin' cute! I must get that owl set!

Carol Weimer said...

I love that softened distressed look. I saw lots of this look at the Ranger booth at CHA. Thanks for sharing it. I'm loving the quilt squares you soldered...now I know what my next solder project will be. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I thought I had successfully avoided the owl set even though I love it but now you have to go put googlie eyes on them. I don't think I can resist them anymore!!! TOO cute!

Kathryn said...

OMG -- sooo cute!
I love those owls!
You are so creative!
I love your idea -- I might have to do something similar for my kids.

Valerie said...

beautiful cards! love the owl!

There is a little surprise for you on my blog...check it out. Hugs,
Valerie

Lee said...

Oh I love those pieced owls!! So cute!!! And I'm so jealous of all of you who got to go to CHA!!! Sounds like an amazing time!!!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are sweet! I have that thing with the sponges and felts, so know I know what I can do with the sponges. TFS!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to be one of your daughters!!! What a sweet sweet idea. I was just thinking that we're going to need to start making out lists too. Although it's something I usually dread doing. You have given me a better outlook on it! I will have to separate the girls though - 1 at a time. Thanks :)

DeeDee said...

What an adorable thing to make for the girls!! They will love it!!! That's exactly what we used to do too when we went school clothes shopping....one whole day of FUN!!!

Alicia Weiman said...

What cute cute ideas. I got my Pottery Barn Kids catalog today in the mail and there is some Owl bedding.....it is very cute and reminded me of the cards you made. I'm so anxious to get my sets! Have fun on your shopping trip!

Stefanie Staniak said...

Very cute idea - it is Mishalishous!! Say that three times real fast ! LOL !! I sure wish we could have spent more time together at CHA.

Anonymous said...

These are such delightful cards - they brought a smile to my face.

rita w

Readings, Recipes and Rambles said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Owl cards!! My son's nickname is Hootie!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I am impressed with your back to school shopping…!

Related Posts with Thumbnails