April 19, 2008

Our bird nest....

Hello everyone. So you know I love birds right? Well look what this little pair of birds built right outside our front door! This is such an interesting nest. It has hay soft grass in the middle with this mossy stuff on the outside. And we had just picked matted hair off the cats so lots of that made it into this nest too. I even cleaned the girl's hair brushes and layed some of their hair up there......the birds LOVED that. The nest now has this soft lining of red hair! Problem is that the nest is right on top of the light fixture which is next to the front door. And that chair is where my mail man and UPS guy leave my packages. Dear Husband was not happy about this nest one bit. Said the birds would poop all over the place.
Then there's this little cutie named Frisky. She's a real bird watcher too....not so good for the birds.
And here's Hammy and Emma. Look at Hammy, he's already licking his lips!!!!
Well, Dear Husband decided to let the birds live there because he knows how much I love them. He's a nice guy with that kind of stuff. So what happens then? He goes outside the next day through the front door. Marches right back inside and carries me his favorite KU t-shirt and blurts out, *LOOK WHAT YOUR NICE BIRDS DID, THEY CRAPPED ALL OVER MY FAVORITE SHIRT!!* After I spewed my drink a little bit, I told him that back door guests are best....use the garage door, dear!! The nest is staying.

So then Jordan and I got creative and decided we needed to make a sign. We thought it should say *Beware of the Birds*.......but I think now it will read *Every Birdy Welcome*. Jordy got some REAL artist watercolors for her birthday last year so we paint every chance we get. I helped her sketch out a bird and a nest and had a little coloring lesson. Didn't she do good? I need to add the words and frame it. Then it's going to hang outside under the light with the bird nest. I'll post the finished creation later. And guess what? Eric boosted Jordy up to see the nest today....FOUR speckled tan eggs. Which means they're just simple barn swallows. Which annoy the heck out of my dad when they get in his barns. But Jordy and I love them and we can't wait to see the babies. Although they will be dead ducks if they fall on the porch while learning to fly. Our kitties are bird stalkers!! More later on the bird story!

26 comments:

Dottie K. said...

Well tell Jordan what a beautiful picture. She did a wonderful job on the watercoloring. I was LOL when I read what happened to your husband. You'll have to take some photos and post them for us to enjoy when they hatch. I hope the cat's don't get them. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG your kitties are SO CUTE!!! I love her watercolored picture, looks like talent runs in the family :-)

Lee said...

Ohhh.......I LOVE watching the Barn Swallows swooping!!! And what an adorable painting!!! We've got feeders up tooo....but I do worry about our naughty cats too....that one lickin' his chops is hilarious!!! If you get baby photos share a picture!!! :)

Lynn Put said...

This story is too cute, I love the part about your DH and how they crapped all over his shirt, made me laugh! Please tell your daughter that her painting is beautiful, she must get her talent from her mom and I can't wait to see the baby birds once they hatch!

Anonymous said...

Mish ~ tell Jordan she did a great job. And DH -- that KU shirt probably deserved to be crapped on. LOL

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story of helping the birdies build their nest! I love Jordan's watercoloring - she is going to be an artist!

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, this is just hilarious! I'm sorry about your husband's shirt. :) And such a wonderful picture! It will look WONDERFUL outside!

Anonymous said...

Mish,

What an awesome story and an awesome opportunity to watch. Then the picture - just beautiful the talent runs deep in your house! Tell Jordan she did a great job and it was the perfect finishing touch on the new birdies home.
Cheryl

Jeanne said...

I just had to pop in and tell you I laughed out loud at your story (poor hubby and the cat licking his chops). A fun way to start the day!

At our house last spring we had birds that built a nest in our bbq grill! So, we ended up buying a little charcoal grill and left the nest alone. We have a cat, but she could care less at 17 years old. 4 eggs and 3 of them hatched. This year...we are not letting them build in the grill again though.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Great watercolor picture, too! She has great talent.

Bella Rose Creations said...

Jordan did a wonderful job! What lucky birds. I too love birds...we have so many varieties. I love to plant Hyacinth beans on our arbor and see the hummingbirds that show up. I have stopped feeding them though as my cat is just a little TOO good at getting them! TFS.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

To use your wording...I almost spewed my coffee reading about your hubby's shirt. Too funny!

I love that you played a part in building the nest. The kitties are adorable, and Jordan's watercolor is beautiful!

Thanks for Sharing.
Michelle

Amy said...

What a funny story! Thanks for sharing it--your daughter's painting is beautiful!

BTW, if you want to read another funny story, PLEASE visit my blog today...I kid you not, you were in my dreams last night! HA!!!!!

Hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

How cute! What gorgeous kitties you have!

LAZY-TROUT said...

I actually laughed out loud at the bit with your hubby LOL!! Doesn't he know its good luck!??

Also a beautiful watercolour poster - yopu can tell talent runs through your family!

Tami McBeain said...

Oh my the talent really runs in your family! Tell Jordan that her picture is fabulous! I can relate to the bird story, I feel the same way and would insist they stay also! My hubby would agree with yours though!

Anonymous said...

nice story!!
so, did you see some eggs??

i like your kitties!!

and Jordan did a very good job!!

have a good sunday afternoon

MJ

Tricia T said...

What a great picture!! An artist in the making, I think... just like Mom. Enjoy your birds!!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Your daughter's picture is darling.

I don't want to rain on your parade so to speak, but a number of years ago, a house near us burned to the ground because of a bird nest on the porch light. Somehow it caused a short in the wiring and set the house on fire. :(

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! another nest to add to your collection when the rearing of the wee one's is over!!! :) thanks for sharing the adorable story (jordan's picture is wonderful)!! I loved the bird poop on the shirt part best though...hehehehe...
chelle

Anonymous said...

I am happy that you love your birds. Be sure to keep that light out. I had a bird build her nest on my porch light. We had the light on one evening and it started a fire. The fireman told me that if a neighbor hadn't seen the smoke my house would have caught fire. Be careful.
Terri in Texas

Bevie Pearl said...

I think the apple fell very close to the tree on this watercolor project you did. I see a future artist!! Great Job Jordan!!

Acie said...

The cats are goooorgeous!! Im jealous, id love one.

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

Oh Mishie - what a fun find!! And you can watch those little baby birds! Jordan is SUPER talented - GREAT painting! LOL about Eric's comment! And I LOVE that pic you captured of the kitties!

margot said...

Be cautious using your outside light until you are able to remove the bird's nest. It was in our local paper this morning that the fire department had responded to a fire call. A bird's nest built on an outdoor light had caught fire and started the house on fire also. Apparently the birds like the heat generated by the outdoor lights but their nests are very dry (like kindling the firefighters said) and easily catch fire from the heat generated by the light.

Anonymous said...

I love your bird nest!! We, too, had a bird's nest by our front door a couple of years ago. Actually, it was in the wreath ON our front door. One time a friend opened the front door in the evening, from the inside, and a bird flew into our house! I hope that doesn't happen to you, as they are stinkers to catch! Thanks for sharing your fun stories!
Karen B.

Anonymous said...

We must have the same bird making a nest atop our outside lights. LOL We had one bird make a nest in our wreath on our front door. We carefully moved the wreath (it was on a hanger) to hang from the light fixture. It served 2 birds with their babies. Shortly after that, another bird made a nest on top of the light fixture. So far it's been used twice.

I heard it's a sign of good luck when birds make nests by the front door. If it's true, well, both of us will be having loads of luck for a while. :)

P.S. Love your kitties! They are adorable!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails