April 17, 2008

Brittney's Stationery.....Papertrey and K & Company

Today's project will have you wishing you were 13 years old again. As a child, I loved stationery. It wasn't very often that I got new notepad or notecards or new pens. But when I did, I would savor them like a fine piece of chocolate. I was hoarder though, I didn't want to use my goodies because I might run out. Oh, and stickers.....they were like morslets of sweet stickiness to me. If you actually received a sticker from me, you were a lucky girl! Now, fast forward to 2008 and I still love stationery and all things created in the name of patterned paper. But do I hoard stuff? Not very often. That comes as a shock to many of you right? Well aside from getting a great project today, you will get some hoarding tips. Let's begin.


Today project starts with K and Company patterned paper (found at my local scrapbook store). Hoarding Tip #1: Stop purchasing onesies of everything. Instead, shop with a theme in mind or find a certain collection of supplies that you just adore. Purchase a lot of stuff from the same line like papers with matching ribbons, buttons, bling, bling, stickers, etc. This way, you can actually cut into that cardstock and use more than a 1" snippet of ribbon at a time. And you might just actually give something away that you've made. I know you make fun stuff and then you don't give it to anyone. Stop doing that, loosen up, shop with a theme in mind. Keep it all together in an Inspiration Station or a special 12 x 12 plastic folder. Now on to the project. Josey got invited to an older girls birthday party, which is huge. Brittney will be 13 and loves her I-Pod and all things paper. We took her shopping with us one day at the mall and she whipped out this notepad with the things she needed. As we purchased shorts, shirts, etc there was Brittney crossing off her list. Great girl!! So instead of the typical junk that you buy for birthday gifts, I decided to make Brittney some personalized stationery. Brittney loves butterflies and the color pink, great ideas to start with. I selected a butterfly patterned paper and Papertrey Ink cardstock, stamps and ink. For the stamps, I used: Polka Dot Basics, Borders and Corners Circles, Butterfly Kisses, Simple Alphabet, Trajan Monogram, Paper Tray. SIX sets? Yes, but you'd never know it right?

Hoarding Tip #2: Stop purchasing the cheapo dollar stamps and stuff that you won't use....but you just had to have because it was a good deal. Instead, invest in quality products that mix and match together well. All of the different stamps I used work together because they are timeless, simple in design and compliment each other well. Below are all the bits and pieces of my project, all stamped and ready to be assembled.
Hoarding Tip #3: Mass produce once a in a while. If you make more than one of something, you'll be more likely to give it away since you can keep one for yourself. But for this set of stationery, they're all for Brittney.....since my name is not Brittney. For the card fronts, I adhered my patterned paper, added the white strip with the sentiment *from the desk of Brittney*, the polka dot strip and the circle with the monogrammed letter B.

Hoarding Tip #4: Purchase less expensive items when it makes sense. Here I used some less expensive envelopes but I fancied them up with piece of patterned paper to make envelope liners. And I customized each envelope with additional butterflies, flowers and the *for you* sentiment. They look fancy schmancy, huh?
Here's card with the envy, showing the front and inside of the envelopes.
Hoarding Tip #5: Packaging is everything. Don't skimp on the packaging. If you make a great creation and put it in a paper sack, it will look like crap. However, if you make the packaging look great, no one will know that your set of 8 cards cost you just a couple bucks to make! Here I used a clear stationery box from Papertrey Ink along with some ribbon that matches the cardstock color. Berry Sorbet is the delicious flavor of the day for the cardstock, ribbon and ink.

Hoarding Tip #6: I know what you are thinking. My roll of Papertrey ribbon only has 5 yards on it. If I use a yard like you did, I will only have 4 yards left! Yes that is true but here is a concept for you: Nichole makes more ribbon!!! Use it up girls, it feels good to actually be able to say *I ran out of Berry Sorbet ribbon, I NEED more.*
And Hoarding Tip #7: Don't try to buy teenage or pre-teenage girls dorky, cheap gifts. They will not like them. They will probably tell you they don't like them. Go for the cute stationery set and a gift card to Target!! Looky what I found, a gift card with butterflies!

Okay, that is crossed off my list. I'm going to have Josey fill out the gift card and help make a birthday card after school. Then we'll package it all up in the pink gift sack with some cute tissue and we're good to go. I wish I could be there when Brittney opens her gift....I know it will be one of a kind! And skating at the skating rink too? Oh man, what fun!! And the satisfaction to hear my girls say *Mom, you're the best mom ever!*?? PRICELESS!!!!!!!

41 comments:

Dottie K. said...

Wow this set is just adorable. I'm sure Brittany will love it. Loved that she pulled out her list, I'm a list girl and can appreciate that. I'm like you and love to choose a color or theme I know they'll love when doing sets. I've also started using my paper and stopped hoarding it. It's much pretty made into something special. Thanks for all the wornderful tips. I enjoy your blog so much! :) Dottie K.

Lee said...

Mish.....you ARE the best mom ever!! I totally am in LOVE with that stationery set!!! Ooooo...and Berry Sorbet is soooo yummmy!!! I've got teens and you are sooo right.....they know those little cheapy gifts right away!!! LOL Gift Cards are treasured!! And along with a personalized set in a theme and colors you know she loves.....perfect!! As I was reading your post and looking at the final gift, I thought that this is as much a gift for your dd as for her friend. Because it helps your dd to feel like a special person too with that gift!!! You ROCK!!

Chrissy said...

OMG!!!! Now I am never going to get my house clean ... as soon as I get home from work I will HAVE to make a stationery set! haha

My girlfriends from college and I are getting together this weekend for an "alumnae retreat" ... I am totally going to try to talk them into doing senior portraits! ha!

I also started my own crafty blog - mine sucks compared to your's, but I am having fun with it!

Thanks for all your inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Oh Mish, you really ARE the best mom!!!! This set is too cute!!

Anonymous said...

Mish,
I have to tell you...YOU ARE TOTALLY MY DAILY INSPIRATION! I read your blog EVERY, SINGLE DAY. I, too, am a teacher (3rd grade) and I LOVE to stamp and make cards...I have the same stationary addiction...thank you for your words of wisdom...I keep buying and buying and nothing gets made because I don't have this or I don't have that...ENOUGH!

Keep inspiring me...thanks!
Julie

Anonymous said...

What a CUTE stationary set!! I am totally going to have to CASE this sometime!

Coach Prentice said...

There is so much to this post that I needed to hear...hahhaha! Seriously, so much useful information...I love it all. And I have two preteens who would die to receive and give a set like this. You are the best mom ever :)

Trudi said...

So cute! I'm just loving all the peronalized stationary I've been seeing lately. It's such a timeless gift. And can you imagine the reaction of the friends that will get the cute little note cards from her! Fun real mail is so rare these days.

Linda Carson said...

Whoa! Preach on sister! Great tips!

Keri said...

Thank you for the inspiration, my niece is turning 13 and i wanted to do some stationary for her as well and I would have to agree with your tip #7 (although I agree and giggled at all of them). Thanks for a good giggle this afternoon, I needed one. :)

Tami McBeain said...

Mish, you must be watching me...all of your hoarding tips were directed at me, I am the queen of hoarding. Your best tip...they make more! Wow what a concept! I love your stationery set, and the huge ribbon on the box just completes it! I'm putting your tips into action today! (well at least I'll try!)

Stefanie Staniak said...

Okay, this has to be a standard in our "magazine" !! Hoarding Tips !!
Great article - Outstanding Gift !

Jackie said...

That is absolutely adorable! I need to print out our hoarding tips and tape them everywhere in my craft room! Good ideas, every one of them.

Anonymous said...

the card set is adorable! she is going to LOVE it!!! i know my daughter is more likely to send the thank you cards if they are ready to go...thinking some turtles and monkeys for my chicka!
thank you! chelle

Teresa Abajo said...

You are so full of brilliant ideas! I'm putting these tips up in my studio, but I'm renaming them COMMANDMENTS! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mish, thanks so much for sharing all of your tips and ideas. I bet that Brittany will love the stationery and the others will want some too.I love that Kand company paper also and all of those little dodads. I want you to know I really enjoy your blog. Have a great day!
Lisa

Cindy Lyles said...

Mishie you are FABULOUS!! Absolutely awesome ideas, and I LOVE the way you write!!!! lol!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
This set is beautiful! And thanks for all the hoarding tips. You are so right... we need to use the supplies not just hoard them. I LOVE your creations and check your blog every day. Thanks!! Gerri K

Anonymous said...

Mish, you are too funny! Loved reading your post! Awesome job on the card set. Any girl that likes stationery will LOVE that set. Have a blessed day.

Bevie Pearl said...

Mish, I love it when you teach a lesson. You are the best!

Lynn Put said...

This is the cutest stationery set! I love this paper that you used I just bought a whole pack of it at my LSS, its so bright and cheery!

You crack me up, I used to be the same way with paper and stickers when I was young, didn't you just love the puffy stickers or the scratch and sniff, I hoared mine too!
Thanks for all of the great tips and your right young girls never like dorky gifts...go with the gift card!

Lisa and Penny said...

yOU rOCKED IT aGAIN!!!! tHANKs So mUCH FOR THE cUTe IDEA!!! LOVE IT!

Karen said...

The hoarding tips are right on! The stationary kit is very hip. Thanks again for inspiring us to use the great things that we hoard.

Kacey Elliott said...

Mish, your post made me laugh and kept me smiling. I treasured my stationary too when I was a teen, and stickers - don't get me started. Beautiful set and I know she will love it; let's just hope she isn't a hoarder like we were (or still are in my case!) :)

Lori said...

Well, I think you just figured out why I love paper and cards and stickers and embellishments, etc....
I did the same thing as a kid. When I got new stationary, it was like gold to me! I only used it when absolutely necessary! I still have some from when I was a kid! Wow, a light bulb went off for me with your blog today..I never even realized the connection!
Love reading your blog!
Lori

Dawn Easton said...

Wow, what a wonderful gift set! I love all the tips that you shared with us! I try to use my paper too...why did I buy it otherwise?! Thanks for sharing!

Chelle! said...

WOW!! You are amazing!! I am so glad that I came upon your blog. I check it faithfully each day!! You are so inspiring!!! I, too, as a little girl--okay, I still am a hoarder of stationary, paper, stamps, and the list goes on and on!!!

Anonymous said...

This completely cracked me up -- that is EXACTLY what goes through the mind of a hoarder!! Hee!! Love the cute project!

<< I know what you are thinking. My roll of Papertrey ribbon only has 5 yards on it. If I use a yard like you did, I will only have 4 yards left! >>

Anonymous said...

Great tips! This is such an adorable gift! You rock!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is such a darling set! LOVE it!! You are amazing and my inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this set. As a favorite to butterflies you have to give a link to where you got that paper, so we could purchase it!

I love your blog, and you are such an inspiration!

Charna

Anonymous said...

LOVE the hoarding advice! My theme this year is "use it up". You are so right about packaging. I have always taught my girls "presentation is everything". You make adorable cards & gifts and I love to read your blog!

DeeDee said...

WOW!!! Gorgeous......what a great gift for a teen girl!!! I have Grad gifts to do now....THANKS Mish!!!!

Daniela Dobson said...

I loved reading this post, I actually read it twice, it was so much fun. I laughed since I do all the stuff you mentioned. Love your great ideas and I love reading your blog.

Lauri said...

These are great tips! and the cards are beautiful!

Angie said...

Wonderful gift set! I want one! LOL! I loved stationary and all things in the "school supply" aisle! I will still walk down that aisle just to see what's what. Great job.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo with you! I, too, was a stationery hog as a kid. I loved it and would get so excited when any of my aunts would give me new notecards for my birthday or Christmas. I can still picture some of the sets...I remember one in particular that had ice cream cones on it and smelled like chocolate. Memories.....

Everyday when I check out your blog I am inspired by your beautiful creativity! Thanks for sharing!

-Krissy

LAZY-TROUT said...

OMG - that is such a gorgeous stationery set! First class tips!!!

Anonymous said...

too funny - bottom line= use our stuff. There's always new and better stuff to buy - right? Love your project

Juanita B said...

I agree, you are the BEST mom ever!
I wish I were friends with your girls, LOL. This set is FABULOUS, I would love to see Brittney open it too. Thanks for all those wonderful hoarding tips too! I hope you had a great weekend. TFS.

Unknown said...

Love this set! This message is great, full of lots of inspiration! Thank you, Jannette

Related Posts with Thumbnails