April 8, 2008

Fresh Rhubarb Pie...and a card

Here's a little card I made while thinking about my mom's fresh rhubarb pie!! This little image and sentiment are from Rubber Soul, along with the pretty paper. I think I'll give this card to my mom when that fresh pie comes around this year! Okay girls, this is an amazing accomplishment in itself: I got my mom's Rhubarb Pie recipe on PAPER! My mom is one of those awesome cooks that has all those recipes stored right in her head. I'm so glad we could actually get this recipe figured out!! I must offer this disclaimer though: No matter how you make your pie, it will never be as good as my mom's! LOL!! Her pie crust is delicious all by itself!! If you beg to differ, please come to Kansas and we'll have a Bobby Flay-like show down!! She would LOVE that!

If you've never had a rhubarb pie, it's soooo good. But not all rhubarb pies are created equal. Rhubarb looks like celery with reddish skin and is very tart by itself. You have to sweeten it up just right. My mom's pie turns out so pretty....pink pie filling with soft rhubarb and sweet strawberry filling. Mmmm, I can almost taste it. This pie comes along only once a year so I savor each little morslet...even better with vanilla ice cream. So here's the recipe:

Fresh Rhubarb Pie

Pastry for 2 crust pie (or) Pillsbury pie crusts
1 cup to 1-1/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 cups cut up fresh rhubarb (1" pieces)
2 T margarine
½ small package strawberry jello
1-2 cups fresh sliced strawberries (optional)
Heat oven to 425 degrees (maybe 400). Stir together sugar, flour and dry jello. Mix with rhubarb and strawberries, if using. Put in pie pan with bottom crust . Dot with margarine. Cover with top crust, cut slits. Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges with foil for half the time. Bake 40-50 minutes.

Enjoy everyone!!! Oh, and guess what? I'm working on a new inspiration station, I can't wait to gather up all my goodies and show you!

22 comments:

bethtrue said...

What a cute card; thanks for sharing! Mmmmm pie!! Can't wait to see picts of your new inspiration station - love that concept! Have a great evening!

Beth B.

glitter girl said...

Totally adorable!! Can't wait to see the new station... any hints??? =D I am loving the garden party stuff -- I finally got my own and it's lovely!
Thanks for the recipe, too... =D

Anonymous said...

Great Card Michelle! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Rhubarb/Strawberry pie is my favorite!

M!ssPr!ssy said...

Even though I don't normally gravitate to that stamp style you have managed to make this adorable. Like look at that girl standing there with that pie!...

Anonymous said...

what a treasure!! thank you so much for sharing something so special!!! this pie was my father-in-laws favorite...my mother-in-law hasn't made one since he passed four years ago...maybe a new recipe to try will help her to do it and we can all sit around the table and reminisce about the ol' times!!?? oh, yes, and the card is fabulous! she will love it!
chelle

Valerie said...

Hmmm, wonder if Mom can bake one and ship it here??? That's my FAV pie, btw, peach is second runner up! And you know me, Mish, I'm no baker...:)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the inspiration stations! Can't wait to try the pie recipe!

Dawn Madigan

Anonymous said...

Your pie sounds yummy! I have a couple of rhubarb plants in the back yard and make lots of rhubarb crisp in the spring! Thanks for sharing.
C. Burke

DeeDee said...

CUTE card Mish, and that recipe sounds YUMMO!!!!! I can't wait to see your new inspiration station - they are always truely inspiring!!!

Sandy said...

Your card is cute ... love that paper!! I've recently been able to get some of my mom's recipes documented too. Her apple pie is to die for ... and I suspect the secret is her incredible crust. Next I need her to teach me how to make her yummy chocolate eclairs.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Angela K said...

Thanks for the receipe, I am going to try it soon, my family loves rhubarb!! Great card too!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you last night as I was reading about rhubarb on the food section of the L.A. Times. So imagine my delight in reading your blog today! Unfortunately, I left the paper at the Y (I was watching my son's swim class). I've never tried this pie but if I can find rhubarb at the produce market, I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks for sharing your Mom's recipe.

Anonymous said...

Another cute card! I will be trying your rhubarb pie soon. It certainly sounds yummmmm!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Stacey said...

Mish-your card is adorable...as always! :) You are so very gifted.
And I have to agree with you....Rhubarb & Strawberry Pie...Mmmmmm. One of my ALL TIME favorites! My grandmother used to make R&S pie--memories...She used to also make a Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce that she'd put over vanilla ice cream---mmmmm
I have a couple other rhubarb recipes I should share with you- I LOVE the stuff!!!
Smiles,
S

CreativeMish said...

Oh this sounds glorious! I'll have to try it when the rhubarb is fresh..

Lee said...

Oh YUMMMMMMMMMM!!!! Thank you sooooo much for sharing that recipe!!! My hubby loves that pie!! Okay, I'll admit, I'm not so great at making crust....but I'll work on it!! I'll be driving thru Kansas in June........any pie left??? LOL

LeAnne said...

Yum! The rhubarb we planted last year is coming up so I can't wait to try this out! TFS!
LeAnne

Lynn Put said...

Sweet card, your moms going to love it! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to give it a go this summer!
I can't wait to see what your putting in your inspiration station, I so need to create one for myself!

Elaine said...

Sweet card! Thanks much for the recipe too! I can't wait to make one! I should do it today for my hubby's b-day! It makes my mouth water just thinking about strawberry rhubarb pie! YUM!!

Juanita B said...

Great card, I'm sure your mom will like it! I believe she would win the cook-off with Bobby Flay hands down. People that cook like your mom make the best of everything. Thank you for the recipe. TFS.

Anonymous said...

Don't want to turn this into a recipe column...but if you like Rhubarb Pie...you all will love this.
Hope you don't mind if I share.
If you like rhubarb you will love this.

Rhubarb Squares

Base....

2 cups flour
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablesoons pwd. sugar.
1 cup butter

Blend and pat into 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15 mins.
Have topping ready to pour on base when it comes out of oven.

Topping......
4 eggs beaten
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
4 cups chopped rhubarb
Mix together and pour over base. Bake 50 to 60 minutes until brown.

I love the little snail stamp...You do such cute things with all of them.

patti(pattico)

Related Posts with Thumbnails