February 18, 2010

Purple Violets

Hi friends. I've been reading in the forums how many of you are taking the Copic plunge along with the Year of the Flower: Violets set. This is a great set to start coloring with Copics. The images are clean and simple and easy to practice with. I've got another violet card today to show you that Josey (12) helped me with. She did the coloring of the violet on this one and I think she did a great job. On my earlier samples, I showed samples using a lot of shading. Josey chose to just do some outlining with the Copics and the end result is still stunning. She was a little intimidated with the blending technique so I suggested she just leave her flower as is. She finished it off with some shimmery glitter from a glitter pen. So if you're new with the Copics, this outlining technique might just be the ticket for you.

I paired my main flower image with Pine's Background Basics: Tin Type set and some purple paper from the Pretty Pastels collection. I love that graphic combo. For the bottom of my card I used some Plum Pudding Saddle Stitch ribbon and a pink paper from the Pretty Pastels paper that was cut with the large scallop die template.
I've included my simple sketch here for you. It's a great layout to incorporate three patterns like I did for my card.....but without being too busy or overpowering.
And here are the Copic Sketch colors that I used. The T1 was used to tone down the Y35 yellow marker a bit.
I kinda went crazy with coloring the violets so you'll be seeing more cards of this theme in the future. Hope your PTI order is on it's way. Have fun!!!

12 comments:

kristen said...

love all your cards!!

Nancy in CA said...

I really love both of your cards. and I'm with Josie...the blending technique is intimidating. I can only hope it will become easier and more natural looking the more I practice. Your blog is such an inspiration to keep me trying. Have a great day. Nancy in SO Cal

daisykl said...

Josey did a great job - I am thinking I need to take the plunge into Copics. I've also resisted buying stamp sets that everyone is coloring because I didn't want to be frustrated, but it's looking more and more appealing thanks to Josey's beautiful example

patriciad said...

Josey=Lil Rock Star in training!! What a great job. Love that violet. I passed up this stamp set in the last release and bought 4 other sets instead..now I'm thinking I "need" this set too. You're a bad influence on me, Ms. Mishikins!!

Ania - "Z Papieru Tworzone" said...

Absolutely perfect work.
Hugs from Poland :)

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Josie did an amazing job!!! And she's ONLY 12!!! WOW!!! I haven't even purchased ANY Copics (yet) as I have NO idea how to use them or what to get!!!

Anyway, everyday I check your blog (LOVE IT, by the way!) and I just LOVE how you use the copics and it just brings the image to life...I hope when I do get them they'll do the same for me!!!

Mary J said...

Hello Michelle, I love the sketch, think I will have a go at creating something with it if you don't mind!

Heather said...

Very pretty. Josie did an awesome job! I am going to buy copics with tax $$. I have been trying to find the best deal and the $367 set is just way too much. It is one thing to accumulate them over time...but to buy the whole set for that is too much for me. Any suggestions?

Diane Jaquay said...

Beautiful job of coloring, I can see how this technique would be less intimidating than blending. Thanks Mish for your suggestions as to which purple set to buy (and green).

Alicia said...

I love the layout of this one! Nice sketch and color combo.

Lindsey Martins said...

Scrapbooks Etc. got in three new Cosmo Cricket lines in the 6x6 size plus matching buttons (super cute). Thought you'd like to know. :) I think I'll try out your sketch with some of my new paper.... Thanks Mish!

Amy Kolling said...

Josie did a GREAT job!! I will have to try that technique thanks to you girls!

I will have to check out Scrapbooks Etc tomorrow on my day off! New Cosmo Cricket and in 6x6 size...yay!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails