May 5, 2010

Josey..my sweetheart

Edited for a question: Stacy asked "How do you shade (antique) the inside of your nestabilities?" I usually use a sponge with distress ink of some sort and rub over the edge of the die while the paper is still in place. You can also use a Copic marker with airbrush. By leaving the die in place you get the shading but also leave the outside edge uninked. Hope that helps Stacy. Thanks for stopping by today.

I've been yearning to get back into some good ol' fashioned scrapbooking. Just me, my photos and a stash full of supplies. I'm always inspired by Maggie Holmes' pages every time I see her layouts in Creating Keepsakes or on her blog. She's a fantastic photographer and her layouts are always splashed with the cutest elements.
Photo from Creaking Keepsakes Magazine

I love the thought of throwing some supplies up in the air and you just tape them down where they fall on your pages. It's easier said than done though...so I always seek out inspiration when I'm creating my scrapbook layouts. I'm really trying a new approach to some of my crafty creations.....a more mixy matchy, scrappy, eclectic look.

Here's my take on a one page layout inspired by Maggie's double layout. It's a 12 x 12 layout featuring some photos of Josey I captured this morning.
Am loving the small grouping of elements on the page as shown below. If you want to go with the mixy matchy look, I think it's best to keep elements all grouped together instead of floating everywhere on a page. Here I used Japanese masking tape for the journaling, a few punches of Dawn's new Dotty Biscotti patterned paper, a snippet of vintage lace, a tag with a stamped circle from Polka Dot Basics, tied Vintage Buttons and other circles punched from old ledger paper, old school primers, and sheet music. I ran a couple messy stitches back and forth over the circles and a few stitches over the lace to keep it in place. The scallop is the biggest from the Scallop Borders Dies from Papertrey. *Sweet Wonderful You* sentiment on the tag is from the Handwritten Notes stamp set. Such a darling little sentiment. Patterned papers are from Little Yellow Bicycle (purple) and Cosmo Cricket (rulers). And Josey pointed out that the rules go up to 12...just her age. Smart girl, she thought I did that on purpose....of course I did. ;)
Here's the photos of my sweet Josey Posey. She will always be my little girl even though she's almost a teenager. Her skin is milky white, her eyes are greenish-blue, she's funny and smart, a little social butterfly, loves texting and her Ipod....and is becoming a very nice young lady. When taking the photos, I asked if she would take her jacket off so I could see her cute new layered tank tops. She said.."Mooom, I'm freezing, hurry up." Reminds me of when she was a little, little girl and would crawl into a chilly bed and say "Mama, I feezin" in that sweet little voice that rings in my ears. Oh, I get teary eyed just thinking of my sweet little red. I'm going to put a brick on her head so she'll stop growing.
Okay, now stop crying on my pages people. Back to the layout. I borrowed Maggie's cute idea for the little swag and used some of my Wrinkle Ribbon which I sewed to the page, all crinkly like. Then I added two quirky and oh-so-sweet doodads. They feature vintage tulle, and lace and pretty tied buttons, along with some polka dot fabric. Don't be afraid to stitch on your pages...and stitch right over your photos. They'll be okay.
I added a little more scrappy goodness to the bottom corner of my page, using my sewing machine and a few messy stitches back and forth. Such a fun, creative process today. I loved gettin' all scrappy. I'm so used to scrapping lots and lots of photos on one layout. It's kind of fun just to focus on a few photos and then add lots of other goodies to the page.
And just for you, I've created a few kits using some of the elements from my page. Included are the two doodads, a bundle of Wrinkle Ribbon, the tag with stamped circle, lots of punches, vintage buttons, and the lace and ric rac. By adding some photos and a few other elements, you can easily recreate a page like mine. Or use it on cards or gift wrap. You'll notice I added a lot of purple in with my aqua and green colored kit.....mix and match the elements with ANY color. Anything goes!! The kits will be up in my Etsy shop soon.
Hope you enjoy. I'm off to print off some my blog journaling to add with this page. The precious memories.....don't let them fade away.

15 comments:

Heather Rogers said...

So cute Michelle! Love how you did the LO. I have horribly been neglecting my scrapbooking pages. That is how I got started with cards. Then I just never did another LO after that. I HAVE to get back to them before I forget what happened in the photos. My son is 10 and my mom keeps saying "put a brick on that boy's head". hehe. I laughed when you said that. Have a great day hun. I Enjoyed stopping by as usual. :)

Studio S said...

Hello Michelle,

I discovered your blog about a month ago and just finished reading everything you have posted. I just wanted to thank you for the time you put into your blog and for sharing your wonderful ideas.

I placed my first Papertrey Ink order and can't wait to use the products with the techniques and ideas I learned from your blog.

I just have one question. How do you shade (antique) the inside of your nestabilities. I wanted to order the vintage touch tea dye duo but they were out of stock. I read somewhere on your blog that you have used these. Or do you use a Copic marker? Do you use a sponge? Please help.

Thanks again for all you do.

Stacy Forbes,
Fan from Texas
smgunderman@sbcglobal.net

VAKAnomi said...

I love how you use those color compinations..you are so good at that...I love your works..

Dinahsoar said...

My babies are grown and out of the nest. Your Josey is a real cutie. Reminds me a bit of my baby sister at that age.

Katie Skiff said...

Very cute layout...I like the idea to use the other for inspiration. I also love these colors...

I got your Strawberry kit, and created a card with it.
http://katieskiff.typepad.com/justme/2010/05/cards-for-mom.html

Thanks for sharing with us!!

dolcreations said...

Beautiful Mish ...Beautiful!

Love My Tapes said...

Check out the Love My Tapes design blog (www.lovemytapes.blogspot.com for more inspiration using Japanese Masking Tapes...I have been posting tutorials on many ways to use these fab tapes for scrapbooking and card making!
Love your layout!

Donna K said...

I agree that you really put time into your blog. Your information is so thorough and you list all your products (and photos of the copics you use). It's such a pleasure to read. I hope you're still taking your "me" days. Sounds like this might have been one of them. You also said you were going to cut back a little but seems you are still full speed ahead!

Cindy said...

I love your work and look forward to your blog posts. You inspire me and have given me so many ideas to try. I'm a lot like Heather - I started out making cards about 5 years ago, and have only made one scrapbook. I have never really gotten into scrap booking, but I need to as I have so much stash in my craft room I can hardly move around!

Anonymous said...

Love the layout -- my baby is 30 & I still get misty-eyed when doing layouts of her childhood! I bought your Strawberry kit for that very reason -- I have some photos from the 80s where she's got her Strawberry Shortcake toy & clothes!
--G2ENE

Alice said...

lovely layout! i adore all the little details you put in! very sweet!

Michelle said...

Mish,
Awesome tip, adorable baby and cute girl...

Shawna said...

I hope you post more page layouts! This one of Josey is awesome. Like most I started with scrapbooking and then got into cards. And like most need to do get back to working with the family photos. Love your blog!

Mariah said...

Beautiful page with an absolutely adorable subject! You are so talented...I love looking through your blog!

Sherrie said...

I've always loved your blog. Like others who have posted, I got into cards and haven't scrapbooked nearly as much as I'd like. So happy to see your scrapbook pages! TFS!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails