May 8, 2008

Manly Cards!!

Edit: The airbrush system that I use is from Copic and is HERE at Ellen's store. You will need THESE refill cans. You can purchase powered air generators but they are a little pricey. Worth the money over the long haul though.....when I find a good one I'll let you know about that too.

Okay, raise your hand if making manly cards is a challenge for you!! (insert me raising my hand high). I feel your pain, girlfriends!! I have hundreds of stamps but when I go to make a manly card, there just isn't a lot to choose from in my stash. Stamp companies are listening though and help is on the way. This week I will be featuring cards suitable for men so come back soon. Today I'm showcasing the Papertrey set called Father Knows Best. I knew with the tree images and various manly sentiments that this would be a good set....but it wasn't until I actually stamped that first tree image that I realized how much I would love it! For this first grouping of cards, I used the tree with leaves, a feel better sentiment and a Father's Day sentiment...along with a row of polka dots from the Papertrey Faux Ribbon stamp set. All of the images are stamped in brown ink. The leaves are stamped in a green and then I used a darker green Copic Sketch marker to add some shadows to the leaves to create depth. I cut and embossed the images with Spellbinder's rectangle Nestabilities, then added some green to the image with my Copic Airbrush system. I left the die template on the rectangle and then airbrushed...this creates a nice crisp border around the image. I learned that tip from Debbie Olson...she's so smart! Notice how I stamped the envelope too to match the card. I used the same polka dot stamp and also the little leaf stamp to tie in with the tree. It's those little details that really make a great card. This card will go to my dad later this month, he's having shoulder surgery.
Here's the inside of the card. I like to add a layer of white cardstock to the inside of cards that have a dark base like this Chocolate Chip color. The writing shows up better. I also stamped *DAD* with some dollar alphabet stamps I found at my local scrapbook store, the polka dot line and some more of those little leaves. Plaid paper is from My Mind's Eye.
Here's another set of Father's Day cards I did using the circles tree topper from the Father Knows Best set. I stamped the tree topper part in a green then colored in some circles randomly with Copic Sketch markers. I also added some brown dots to manly up the card a bit. Brown brads finish off the main image. And check out the sentiment, such a good one! The patterned paper is from Crate Paper, base color is SU! Wild Wasabi.
Note: I try to answer a lot of your questions....so look back to older posts and I will put an *edited* blurb at the top of the post. This way everything will stay with it's particular post.


Spellbinder's Nestabilities: My favorite Nesties are the rectangles and squares, followed by circles then ovals in that order. That's how I tend to use them the most. I highly suggest purchasing the scallop shapes that go with the solid shapes. I use the Spellbinder's Wizard to cut out my dies. It's a heavy duty all metal tool but it does require some cranking...stay tuned for the motorized version of the Wizard coming soon. It will do all the work for you! I haven't heard of any updates on the release date of this machine but I will update when I find out.

Okay, gotta run. I'm off to the dreaded dentist appointment. UGH! Stay tuned this week for more manly cards using Lockhart stamps.....and some more tips on mass producing cards. I've been stamping like crazy to fill orders!

17 comments:

glitter girl said...

thanks for answering my question -- your manly cards ROCK! I always wish I had the stamps that you showcase. . .

Karen said...

Great Cards!!! I think we all struggle with the guy thing. I also think it is a wonderful idea to stamp inside the card. As Emeril would say "it takes it up another notch" Thanks for sharing

Dottie K. said...

These are just perfect. Your right about struggling for cards for the guys. Thanks for sharing. :)

Bonnie said...

Fabulous as always! These are the best for masculine cards!!

Cindy said...

Love the Man cards! Guys are so hard to stamp for. I used your Grandma's layout yesterday- check out my blog to see my version. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle Tech said...

Wow, these cards are great! You'd never know that they were a struggle.

Anonymous said...

GREAT cards, Mish! I have a question: can you tell us what your airbrush system consists of? Do you use the can of air or something more elaborate. I'm thinking I NEED to make this my next purchase!

Stefanie Staniak said...

You did a beautiful job on these cards Mish. Always so professional looking and every detail makes them that much more special !! :)

MichelleY said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, all these cards. I struggle with masculine cards so I'll be back to CASE these!

Lee said...

Awesome masculine cards!! I admit these are difficult to make! I can't use GLITTER!!!!! LOL Okay, the airbrush system is so on my wishlist!!!

P.S.......I hope the dentist appt. is not too terrible!!

Anonymous said...

wow i love your cards, very very nice man cards!!!

MJ

Kelly Booth said...

Beautiful Cards...
I have not tried my airbrush with the nesstibilities....
Need to do that! Do you just wipe them with alcohol when your finished?

Anonymous said...

Great masculine cards! Anxious to hear the comments on the new motorized Wizard. I use a Big Shot and it is fine but would like something that looks a little nicer and is less work.

Courtney said...

Oh these are just great! Thanks for sharing!

Ruth Shanahan Allmart said...

I absolutely love your cards Mish! I have this set too so I'll have to give these a try. TFS. Have a great weekend :o)

Kacey Elliott said...

Love these masculine cards. Thanks or the inspiration, I need to get started on Father's Day now :-)

CreativeMish said...

Great cards! I love the tree's. Thanks for the tip on the nestabilities! That will help with ordering

Related Posts with Thumbnails