May 20, 2008

Last Day of School Treats

Here's the recipe girls, enjoy!!!

Tropical Blondies

from Michelle Wooderson 5/08

½ cup butter or margarine
½ cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon pineapple juice
6 oz white chocolate chips
6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
½ cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
½ -3/4 cup coconut

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening. Gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine flour, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Blend in extracts and pineapple juice. Stir in white and chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Cover and chill 1 hour. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet, or spread into 10 x 15 cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes for cookies or 20-22 minutes for bar cookies...until lightly browned. Note: For my bar cookies, I did not chill the dough first and they turned out just fine. Enjoy!

Today is the LAST DAY of school for my girls (we start mid August). The girls are very excited and so am I! But don't think that I'm not going to enjoy my last day of *freedom* at home by myself today. I'm going to put away my birthday finds from yesterday and enjoy the day by myself......thank you for all the birthday wishes too!!

So I dropped treats off after school yesterday for all of the girls' teachers. There were about 11 of them that the girls wanted to bring goodies for. Many times I get asked by my friends (who call themselves *slacker moms*).......*how do you get all of this so organized and to school on time AND it looks so cute?*. Well there is a method to the madness and it's really quite simple. It's all about pre-planning and breaking little tasks into steps. I'll show you what I did for these cute treat sacks. So here's help for all of the *slacker moms* who can never quite get it together...you can do it!!

First, plan what you want to do. I knew I wanted to bring a simple treat for the teachers for the last day of school. So I made a list of the number of teachers and what type of cookie I might want to make. Nooooo, I don't just get up at 5am on the day I want to bring treats, I plan it all out. I am NOT a 5am kind of gal. I made up this list while sitting at a softball practice.
Then I decided what my packaging would be. I wanted to keep it simple because I knew the wrapper would be trashed, most likely. So I set out to make 13 treat sacks. I chose to use the Papertrey glassine sacks. I have used these types of little goodie sacks for years and I just love them! Now you can get them in smaller quantities from Papertrey. I also decided to make a simple but gourmet looking label to attach to the sack. I created my label from Papertrey's Holiday Treats stamp set and then mounted them on Spellbinder's oval rectangles. Paper and ribbon are Summer Sunrise colors from PT. I made these labels up about a week ago...took about 30 minutes.
Here's a closeup of the labels. I wanted to use a bright, sunny color...thinking of summer time, sunshine, etc. When I work on projects to use for another day, I set them aside in little baskets or boxes. This old box was a junk store find. I set this on a shelf, away from my work space. Little tip....only work on one project at a time. Clean up when you're done and put away all your supplies. Then start on the next project.
Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. I baked my cookies. Check out these yummy morslets of heaven! I so badly wanted the recipe for some Blondies that I saw on a Bobby Flay throw down. The recipe wasn't listed on the Food Network site though, must be a secret recipe of the other contestants. So I concocted my own........I call them Tropical Blondies. Packed full of white and dark chocolate chips, coconut, macadamia nuts, coconut extract and a smidgen of pineapple juice. I can share the recipe if anyone wants it......I have to write it all down before I forget.
So then I cut my Tropical Blondies into HUGE rectangles so that each teacher would get a nice sized cookie. I stored them in a Tupperware container to keep them soft and fresh til Monday. The girls and Eric kept nibbling on my treats so I had to make a second batch to appease them. My mom was a taste tester too and insisted on the recipe.....a *keeper* as Eric says!
Then yesterday afternoon, I got out my already prepared supplies and assembled my treat sacks. I simply added a cookie to each treat sack, punched a hole, added the ribbon, and attached a label with one SU! dimensional to each sack. Easy peasy and I was done!! Don't they look all gourmet like???

I nestled all my treats into one of those expensive Longaberger baskets that I lovingly purchased oh so many years ago......before I had kids.......when I had money to spend on other things than softball shoes, field trips and lunch bills. And then yesterday afternoon I was off like Little Red Riding Hood on her way to Grandmother's house. I took the treats to school, the girls handed them out and the teacher's were nearly drooling at the sight of my goody basket.....they know the good stuff is coming when they see me carrying a basket!! Soooooooo, another good school year comes to an end. Summer here we come!!!!!!!! I'm off to enjoy a cup of coffee.......all by myself......maybe with a leftover Tropical Blondie........ahhhhhhhhhh, one last day of freedom!!

55 comments:

mtmind said...

I would love a copy of your recipe. Your treats looked wonderful and I love the color.

mtmind@roadrunner.com

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful treat for the teachers! And YES, please share your recipe!

Karen said...

We are looking at the picture salivating and you want to know if we want the recipe???? Of course we do. Very cute idea and I am sure the teachers loved and appreciated the time and attention you gave to them. Fork over the recipe pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

Dottie K. said...

Of course we want the recipe. Thanks for sharing! They look so yummy! Hope you enjoy your day!! :)

Lorie said...

I'd like your recipe too. My e-mail is mom2kjs at yahoo dot come. And I used one of your sketches yesterday!

http://live-love-laugh-create.blogspot.com/2008/05/yummy.html

Dottie K. said...

Mish what size bags did you use from PTI? Thanks!

Theresa Dagostino Forge said...

love your ideas!!! everything is so pretty and colorful. and may I also have the recipe? thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I would love it if you posted your recipe, it looks mouth-watering scrumptios! Thanks for sharing your organization tips.

Judy H. said...

Omigosh, Mich, I actually laughed out loud when I read the last paragraph of this post - off like Little Red Riding Hood on the way to Grandmother's house - you crack me up!!! Love your blog, girl - and thanks for all the pointers and tips in everything you do! Judy H.

wendy peatross said...

I love how you walk us through your projects. And yes, we want the recipe. I'm off to enjoy my last two days of school before my girls are home for the summer too.

Michelle Tech said...

I think we are kindred spirits! I love to organize, as I can tell you do. And, before I had my son, I used to buy Longabergers (a lot!), and love to use them to this day. My friends and family call me mini-Martha, but I have to be careful with that one...please don't be offended if I've just associated us in that way! It's a compliment!

Cat said...

michelle - LOVE your cookie treats. so sweet; i'm sure the teachers already know what a treasure you are and hate to let your kids move on to the next grade ;)

Erin McKinney said...

Yumm! I would love a copy of your recipe! The treat bags are so cute! I am sure the teachers will be fighting over who gets your girls next year! :)

Lisa and Penny said...

They look so yum -- and yes please on sharing the recipe! I love people that can just "whip" up something yummy and creative! Wow --- AGAIN!!! Lisa K

irene said...

Those cookies look delicious. I can understand that the teachers all want a treat like that. Love the end result. Here in our town (Katwijk in the Netherlands) the kids start there summervacation at july 17th this year (the go back to school at sept 1st)so we still have to wait a while. Maby I'll borrow your idea for the last day of school ;) Bye Irene

Stefanie Staniak said...

Your creative abilities are what is noticed first but the best part is the sencerity and thoughfulness that goes into each package. A combination that just can't be beat! You are what makes everyone of those gifts special ! :)

ps - I would love the recipe.

glitter girl said...

So, did you make cards for the teachers, too, or just the treats?

I have been trying to think up cute stuff for my boys' preschool teachers. If you have any other teacher ideas, please share them soon! =)

cyndi said...

yum! and easy peasy too! you didn't tell us what you got with your bday money!!! waiting to hear all about it!

cyndi

Anonymous said...

Everything looks WONDERFUL!! Please share your recipe.........looks scrumptious!!

MichelleY said...

Mishie....you are AMAZING! Everything you touch turns to gold....pure genius! I love how simple but how striking your treat bags turned out. Please.....Pretty please.....share your recipe. Its sounds YUMMY!

WhimsicalThoughts said...

Hi, is this is the Bobby Flay recipe you were looking for?

Blondies
Show:Throwdown with Bobby Flay
Episode: Blondies

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, plus butter for pan
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup light brown muscovado sugar
1/2 cup dark brown muscovado sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toffee chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and line a 9 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Butter the lining too.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; add both sugars and whisk until combined and sugar is melted, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Add the flour and whisk until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips, toffee chips and almonds and transfer the mixture to the prepared pan.
Bake for 24 to 27 minutes or until the top cracks slightly and is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center comes out with moist pieces clinging to it. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely. Remove the bars from the pan using the parchment handles, transfer to a cutting board and cut into 2-inch squares.

Anonymous said...

I love all your ideas and I would love a copy of the recipe.

Jenifer
pjnoles@knology.net

Anonymous said...

Please do share the recipe. My 3 year-old's preschool teachers will looove this, thanks for the idea. Should I say that you're awesome, or did you already know that?

CreativeMish said...

OH what a great idea! I'm sure the teachers loved them! They look yummy!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I love all your tips. Keep them coming. Please post your recipe. We ALL want it.

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy of your recipe. Love the whole project.
Thanks
Diana

Hannah said...

I've just discovered your blog and I absolutely adore it. Be on the lookout - I'm going to be using the ideas from your 'Cobb Salad Sandwich' Recipe card post for my own recipe box!

Denise Rose said...

Yum! These look delicious! Please share the recipe and thanks for the great ideas!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bags and would LOVE the recipe!! Thanks!

Tricia T said...

I so enjoy hearing how born organized people think. You can't know how much I've learned from you! Perhaps since you claimed Becky as your BFF, I'll claim you!! LOL Hope you had a great last day of freedom!

Charmingdesigns said...

Those are so cheery and look yummy. Did I tell you thank you for the yummy Mc.Coffee drink. I finally got all the goodies together...Yumm!! Laurie

***Olive Blossom*** said...

Okay you can't tease us like that! You know we want the recipe now. They look so yummy. After seeing my post you have inspired me to pull out my PTI set. I never think of using things like this outside of the holidays. It's such a great set that I can use it much more than I do!

Anonymous said...

Yum - those look so good, and so pretty all packaged up. Please share your recipe with us.

Kay said...

YES_ Please share your recipe! These treats are guaranteed NOT to add weight to our thighs-right??? LOL- Thanks and hope to see the recipe on your blog as soon as you can!!! HUgs Kay

corinnesomerville said...

Okay..I'm going back to College (I'm 44 yrs old) and getting my teaching certificate so that I can move to your city and become your childrens' teacher so that I can get a gift like this !!! WOWZA !!!

Have a great day
Corinne (aka Roxy)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of your process...I'm right there with you...to get it all done, planning is key! Would, of course, love the recipe! Thanks!

lori.gliva@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

Love your idea! Please send me a copy of your recipe! cooper56@insightbb.com

Anonymous said...

Oh my god I am looking at those pictures and salivating. I think i speak for most of your readers when I say.. We must have the recipe! What ink did you use?

I have my son's teacher's at his school, daycare and his therapist so I love this idea. It is something that I think everyone will love.

Thank you for once again a great project.

Charna
Charnascarpati@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

As our last week of school approaches, I've been trying to think of something for the teachers that I haven't already done. I love your idea of a monster cookie so I'm off to start stamping the labels. Please do share your recipe. My mouth was watering just looking at them and they have some of my favorite ingredients in them. Thank you:)

Jen said...

ummm you make those beautiful cookies and make us drool...need recipe - pretty please with cool DP on top :)

Joan said...

Well, DUH. Of course we want the recipe. They look scrumptous (that may be spelled wrong but what I mean is beyond yummy)!!!!

Connie R. said...

Hi Michelle, I think I found the recipe on food network from Feb. But yours looks so much better and I would like your recipe if you don't mind. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm! The treats look sooo good. I would love having the recipe. Also, I enjoy reading your blog.

gaylehyla@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Please send me your recipe - looks delicious - and by the way, your cards are great too - Judy

BoPeep4159@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

recipe! recipe! recipe!

PUUULLLLLEEEEEASE!!

Risa said...

You are so creative and everything you make is a winner! I love your idea, very simple yet very fab! I can see why the teachers were drooling..heck..I'm drooling.:) If possible, would you please share your recipe on your blog?
malieta:)

Judy in Indiana said...

You really should post a copy of the recipe, we are all drooling now!

Anonymous said...

Mish you HAVE to give us the recipe for those yummy looking treats! I just love anything with coconut. Besides the recipe, the treat bags are adorable as are all your creations.

Charmaine said...

Great presentation...lets you know that there is definitely something yummy inside :)

I would love the recipe...these look fabulous!

Charmaine

Lorie said...

Oh, thank you Michelle! I think these will be a great, unexpected treat for my son's teachers and I have a few days to try and find the little bags to put them in! :o)

Lee said...

We'll just call you Little YELLOW Riding Hood!!!! LOL Oh my do these look fabulous and I love the bright and festive packaging!!

Elaine said...

are you sure you're not related to Martha Stewart???? lol (just kidding!)

Sandy said...

I made your Blondies this morning for a family BBQ I am headed to later this afternoon. They smelled wonderful just mixing the batter ... and then you could smell them while they were baking. I had to run out for a little bit and I couldn't wait to get home and taste them ... they are SO yummy!! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe Michelle.

Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend.

Valerie said...

these look WAY Yummi! thanks so much for posting the recipe!

Lorie said...

If you can believe it I cannot find Macadamia Nuts in my little town. Wah! Michelle...do you have another nut that you think would work in this recipe?

Related Posts with Thumbnails