March 1, 2013

How I organize my kits & newest supplies...

Hey there, today is the March release date for the newest Gossamer Blue kits.  This month's kits are full of vibrant colors and fun embellishments, perfect to lead us out of this wintry season.  You can find all the kits for March at Gossamer Blue's home page.  You can also visit the blog for some inspiring projects and more details. March kits go on sale today at 10am PST.  

Before I share my projects throughout this month.....I created almost 30 items from the kits.....I thought it would be fun to share my storage system for organizing monthly kits and my newest supplies.  I dug this wire dish drainer out of my stash and keep it on a table top in my craft room.  I don't have a source as I've had it quite awhile. I don't believe it was vintage so you might be able to find something similar if you're interested.  I also keep a stack of vintage milk glass relish dishes handy.  

This type of storage would work well for any monthly kits you receive or perhaps you just want to showcase some of your newest items.  I firmly believe that if you keep items out in full view, you will be more likely to use those supplies.  It definitely works for me.  Note: all of the supplies you see below are from a mix of this month's kits from Gossamer Blue.  It's like a rainbow!
The divided milk glass dishes are perfect for storing the tiny bits and pieces from kits.  I like to take everything out of the packages and just dump them in.  I do keep a few of the packages in case I want to store them away once the next month's kit comes along.
The dish drainer has a smaller section which is originally intended for cutlery and silverware.  I use this spot for the next biggest items in my kits.  Supplies like the enamel dots, small stamps, journaling cards, smaller packages of buttons and brads, mists, etc go in here.  I can easily thumb through them.
The largest section of the dish drainer is intended for standing up plates.  I use those divided sections to hold larger flat items like sticker sheets, chipboard sheets, 6 x 6 paper pads, larger packages of embellishments, etc.  When I get paper scraps, I clip them together with a clothespin and store them in a section too.  The dividers provide just the right separation for me to easily see what I've got in there. 
On the side of the dish drainer, I prop up my 12 x 12 patterned papers, sticker and embellishment sheets, etc.  I keep a piece of 12 x 12 cardboard at the very back so that the papers don't bend over.  A clothespin keeps the papers all clipped together.  
I love this storage system.  It's neat and tidy...unlike some other areas in my craft room.....and it's always a nice visual reminder.  It's also fun to see the kit items dwindle as the month progresses.  I mix and match in other items from my stash but I really try to reach for a kit item when I can.  When the month is over, I decided whether to store the unused items away, donate, sell, etc. It's the perfect time right then to make that decision instead of stuffing all the items away.  I keep the box that the kit items comes in under the table. I am constantly adding items to this box and when it's full I decide what to do with it.  My kids' art teacher is very fond of me as she loves my donations from my craft stash.

Okay, off to take Jordan in for her driver's test.  This kid....most want to get their learner's permit the day after their birthday.  Not her, she's waited til the last minute and she has Driver's Ed this next semester.  So off we go.  Then it's Sub State play tonight for Josey.  Go Cats!!


5 comments:

Lisa P said...

Love the dish drainer idea! Totally workable and a cheap option too. I need to keep that in mind. Good luck on the permit. My son just got his a month ago and I already have gray hair! LOL

Yvonne said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I also use a dish drainer and it can hold a LOT of stuff. Not that I have a lot of stuff..jus sayin..Ha! I confess I have a ton of product. LOVE IT!

Cook Scrap Craft said...

Great organization tips! You are so right - it is much easier to use supplies when you can see them! That is my biggest problem with stuff in my stash. Out of sight, out of mind!

Rebecca Ednie said...

Your dish drainer is awesome. But I'm curious. If it isn't Vinatge, how did it get rusty? Hmm...

Lynn said...

Just love your storage ideas. I am always on the lookout for muffin tins, jello molds, and divided dishes thanks to your ideas. I agree that if I have it out in front of me I will use it more. Plus, I love to look at it in the pretty dishes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails