July 16, 2007

Pumpkins for Sale

Have you seen Karen Lockhart's new rubber stamp images? Go to Ellen's online store and you can view them all. This is one of my favorites...the pumpkin cart and matching sentiment. I colored the image while watching my girls swim at Grandma's pool one evening. It was SO relaxing to just sit there with my basket of Copic markers, some scratch paper and some fun, stamped images. When time allows, I will demonstrate some step by step coloring tutorials for you. How do you think I did? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Copic markers. Now check out the photo below for the photo corners.



To create the photo corners, I cut and embossed a scallop square using about a 2" Spellbinder's Scallop Die Template. Then I took my scissors and cut the square in half, then cut one half in half again. I used a large corner and a small corner on my card. Both pieces have the embossing still visible and I added some piercing to the smaller corner. Just the right touch. The main image on white was also cut and embossed with a rectangle Spellbinder's Rectangle Die Template. You can easily see that in the above photo.



Back to the coloring....when I start a project that I want to color, I grab all of the Copic colors that I think might match my chosen color scheme. I lay them all out and do a test line on a scrap piece of card stock that I will be using on my card. I pick the best colors and set the other markers aside. Always keep a scratch piece of card stock handy so you can test colors.



Now check this out below. I dug and dug through my ribbon collection (which is a LOT) and just couldn't find the right ribbon(imagine that, I MUST need more ribbon!). So I got out my May Arts white twill (this is NICE) and colored my own ribbon with Copic markers. Simply lay out the twill nice and flat. Start with your center stripe using the broad nib tip of the marker. Try to make your strip using ONE swipe. Lifting and repositioning your marker will leave some crooked lines. Don't the colors match perfectly? I love that! Marker colors for the twill are YR24, YG95, BOO.



You may have noticed my new ribbon tying method. I place the ribbon around the front and back of the top flap of the card. Bring it all the left side and tie it up with copper SU! cord (discontinued). Now I know you're asking this question: How do you mail it without smashing up the ribbon? I simply use a larger envelope and just make sure that my ribbon is cut short enough. You can see the card on top of the envelope in the photo below.



So there you have it! All of my tips and tricks for this card all spelled out for you, enjoy! Supplies: Stamps, Spellbinder's Die Templates and Copic markers available at Ellen Hutson's online store (link at right). Paper is My Mind's Eye Tres Jolie (Oui, Oui pattern), available at Joy's Eclectic Paperie store. Copper cord and Copper brads from SU!. Card stock is Blue Bayou(mat) and River Rock (card base) and Jack O Lantern for photo corners is Memory Box from Ellen's store.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fall pumpkins are perfect, fall is my favorite season, i just love the crispness in the air as well as the changing leaf colors. I just love to stop by your blog in the morning, it is a great way to spend a few minutes.
Any mass production planned soon, weird i know but i love to see what you making.

Alhambra Club said...

This card is great, love yoru coloring and can't wait for some tutorials, need to get better with my markers. Love the ribbon idea.

Unknown said...

Another wonderful card!

wanda box said...

you just inspire me each time I visit you blog. beautiful coloring and wonderful ideas of creating the perfect card.

Anonymous said...

The ribbon is amazing!!!

Adelina said...

thank you for all the tips/tricks information on the card. It turned out beautifully!

Rose Ann said...

This card is nothing short of amazing! Not only is your coloring awesome, but I love how you matched the ribbon and paper using your Copics...and the photo corners rock!

Dottie K. said...

I love this paper especially with this stamp. Just so adorable!!! Love all the tips - thanks for sharing!!! Can't wait to hear what's new from CHA from you.

Jenn said...

I'll take there please!!! Love this Mishy!!

Anonymous said...

Pumpkins are my favorite! This is a great image and I love your coloring - just perfect!
And I wanted to tell you how cute I think this ribbon tying idea is - I haven't tried it yet, but am itching to! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful tips, too!

Bethany Paull said...

Lovely card! The colored twill is too cool. And your coloring with the Copics is so well done.

Pat's Paper Passion said...

Your step by step tutorials are just what I need to help me in my card-making hobby. The ribbon is a good solution when you run short on ribbon and don't have enough to make a bow or nice looking tie. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card Mish; thanks for the tips as well.

Sew Club said...

Very pretty, Michelle! Love your coloring and your ribbon!

Linda Carson said...

Wonderful, wonderful!! Thanks for the inspiration & tips!

Susan said...

This card is great. I love the way you shaded everything. Do you remember which copic colors you used on the pumpkins? I can't depend on my monitor colors and there are no stores nearby that carry copics. I would love to order those same shades for fall cards. Thanks in advance. I love your blog!

Karen Lindsay said...

I think the card is wonderful! I have a question for you. Do you use the Copic marker to do the blue shading behind your stamped image? If so, how do you blend it out so nicely?

karen_l@bresnan.net

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Now all I need is a rich uncle to leave me a couple million.

Tish said...

Thanks for sharing this great tip for making "custom" ribbons! I'm a total ribbon fanatic and am always searching for just the "right" ribbon.

Not familiar with the type of markers you've used. Will have to look into that.

Tish said...

Thanks for sharing this great tip for making our own "custom" ribbons! I'm such a ribbon fanatic and I am always looking for just the "right" ribbon to go with a project.

This will certainly open up some more options. Not familiar with the type markers you use, where do you find them?

Related Posts with Thumbnails