July 17, 2007

Place Setting Thank You

I need a special thank you card for a friend I'll be seeing at CHA. She's hosting a dinner at her house for about 20 of us online friends. I'll be seeing gals I've met before and there will be a lot of first time hugs too! I'm SO very excited about our dinner! So I created this card using some of my favorite stamps from Crafty Secrets. These utensils are from the Kitchen Classics Clear Art Stamps Collection. They remind me of my grandma's big, heavy silverware.



For this card, I stamped the images with Black Noir Palette ink, available from Ellen's online store. Then I colored the utensils with Copic markers. Let me just state now that Copics are my new favorite way of coloring so be prepared to see a lot of Copic projects!! I used two colors(B000, G40) and blended them together with my Copic Colorless Blender (0). I simply layed down the two blue/green colors side by side then seamed the edges together by coloring my blender where the two colors joined. These colors were so close in tone that it didn't take much to blend them. To add shadow, I used a Warm Grey(W0)Copic to outline the utensils. Subtle but a very important detail. I finished off the silverware with a gold glitter pen....stay tuned for more details on this after CHA.

Now.....tell me how cute is that little napkin with the napkin ring????? I KNOW!! Here's how I did it. I used tissue paper and a large Scallop Spellbinder's Die Template to cut out a big scallop square. My idea was coming together nicely! See the photo below? This is how the dies work. You run your tissue/paper through the Wizard(or your die cutting machine) once to get the cut. You will discard the outside edges (think leftover cookie dough when you cut out sugar cookies). Then you run the image through again using the tan mat and it embosses the tissue. YES, it embossed even tissue paper!! So then I folded up the tissue paper to resemble a cloth napkin and made a napkin ring by stamping the little lace border image from Crafty Secrets onto it. I adhered this to my card with double sided sticky tape. I finished off the card with a tiny embossed scallop using my Spellbinder's dies again. Look how tiny and detailed it is!



Supplies: Patterned paper from Wild Asparagus, Crafty Secrets Kitchen Classics stamps all available at Joy's Eclectic Paperie. Sentiment from Papertrey, Ink. River Rock and Soft Sky card stock from Stampin' Up! Spellbinder's Die Templates and Copic markers available from Ellen's online store.

Tip of the day: Think outside the box when using your die cutting machines. You can cut through all sorts of materials like: card stock, tissue paper, wrapping paper, paper sacks, thin chipboard, cereal boxes, material, felt, glitter paper......I can't wait to explore the possibilities and share them with you all!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome creation Mish! Oh how I wish I was gonna be there for the HUGS!! :(. You gals are gonna rock!!

sworley said...

HOLY BRILLIANCE, MISHY!!! That is some great card - PLEASE pass around hugs for me too, okay?

Jeannie said...

So cute, and so clever! Love the napkin! jeannie

Peggy Maier said...

So creative! She's gonna love this card!

Ila said...

This is a Wonderful Card!! and great idea for the napkin. TFS

Alhambra Club said...

Too cute, love your napkin, she will love the card. Have a wonderful time.

Dee in Oklahoma said...

This is so clever..and very pretty..she will absolutely treasure this card. Thanks for sharing. Have fun! 8^)

Tandra said...

I am TELLIN' Ya how CUTE that napkin is!! You are a GENIUS!!!
Fab card!! You can come to my house for dinner to! LOL

Linda said...

Boy, you explained that very well and great picture of the "napkin".
Now, I am getting a better understanding how this works. Can't wait to get the dies.
Great idea with your card!

Unknown said...

Great card, Mish! I was just wondering last night if you were gonna be in that group of 20 I heard about. Have a most wonderfully terrific time!!

Bethany Paull said...

Very nice! Great coloring. That spoon looks so shiny, like I want to twist it in the light.

Rose Ann said...

Isn't this adorable?!! Your coloring looks so perfect, and I LOVE how the napkin turned out! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Great silverware card, but to tell you the real truth, my favorite part is the basket in the background! Gotta love Longaberger!

June Houck said...

This is absolutely wonderful! Creative and really lovely.

Sharon in NE said...

Gorgeous!

*Beatriz Jennings* said...

Beautiful work!! :)

Kristina Lewis said...

This is so darling! Have fun at CHA!

Kar said...

OMG Mish... I bet Bevie loved this card huh???

Related Posts with Thumbnails