July 4, 2007

Airbrushed Bouquet

Hi everyone! Did you all get a good night's rest from the July 4th celebrations. Our party went well on the 3rd and yesterday we just cleaned up and lounged. I was so tired but got a good night's rest last night. Back to the grind now!

I have a special card to show you today, I think it's beautiful! I tried out the airbrushing system from Copic and created a soft background for my card. The look I was going for was a blue/purple sunset with a field of flowers in the background....and a fresh picked bouquet of wildflowers in the foreground.


This is the Copic air brushing system. Looks a little scary doesn't it? Well, as with all tools that require assembly, I was a bit intimated myself. But the directions were good and I got it all assembled. This system requires no electricity, it operates on pressurized bottles that help create the bursts of air. Once it's all assembled, you just insert your Copic marker and go to work. I need some practice and am hoping to find out more information at CHA from the Copic reps...so stay tuned for more airbrushing in the future!

I used back and forth swishes to create three tones with a purple and blue background on one big sheet of white cardstock.

I also used the wonderful Ornare templates to create some swirl designs around the bouquet. I am hooked on these fun little tools. You get a metal template like this red one and you simply place it where you want your design and pierce the holes, while placing the piercing mat under your projects. For this design, I only used a few of the swirls. What's fun is that you can pick out little design elements without using the entire design.

To finish up my card, I colored the Lockhart Bouquet image with the same color Copic markers that I used for my airbrushing. If you use colors that are very similar in tone, you can simply apply the colors side by side and then blend the two colors together by going over the darker color once more with the lighter color.

I used a clear glaze pen over my image...well when it dried it turned opaque so that wasn't the effect that I was looking for. It blurred some of the detail on the flowers...I'll know better next time. I also used a glitter gel pen in the white space around the flowers and I DO like that effect. Very pretty in real life. A little pearl finishes off the focal image.

For the airbrushed background, I ran my piece through the Cuttlebug using a flower embossing folder and the results were perfect!! Just the subtle background I was looking for. And to finish off the card, I used this ribbon that matches perfect, can you believe it!!

Tip of the day: Wanna know where I got that ribbon? I made it myself!! Yeppers, I couldn't find a ribbon that matched so I grabbed some white SU! grosgrain ribbon and my trusty Copic markers...simply drew a line of purple down the center and filled in the sides with blue. Isn't that the coolest!!??

Supplies: Lockhart Bouquet stamp, Ornare template and accessories, Decorative Pearls and card stock all available from Ellen Hutson's online store. Copic markers and accessories are coming soon to Ellen's store too...be sure to check out her blog HERE to keep up to date on her Friday the 13th sale!!

15 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

Wow, this card is fantastic, thanks for sharing the info about the airbrushing.

Stefanie Staniak said...

Just a gorgeous card. I love the colors, the airbrushing right down to the pearl. Your work always inspires me ! :)

June Houck said...

Very pretty card! I love purple. Your airbrushing turned out great, and in the picture the flowers don't look muted. Lovely!

Sew Club said...

What a very pretty card! Thanks for showing the airbrush kit - I've been curious about that, since my first 2 sets of Copics should be here next week!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful card! I have been wondering how complicated the airbrush kit is; thanks for highlighting it. Love how you ran that through the CB for the background. Very pretty with the airbrushing.

Anonymous said...

Your cards are just beautiful. I really appreciate all the tips you share. I've learned so much from your examples and explanations. Thanks so much for producing such an inspiring blog.

Viv said...

Absolutely beautiful! I need to check out that Copic airbrusher! Your ribbon came out perfect! Love your tips everyday!

Carol (HB) said...

Well, if I drool over this any more I'll have to go get a bucket! LOVE IT!

Beth said...

so sweet Mish! Love the stripey ribbon and adore the fun colors!

Kim said...

Stunning!

Vicki Chrisman said...

STUNNING!!!!!!!!

Rose Ann said...

My goodness...this is gorgeous!! I love it!!

Ida said...

This is so pretty. I love the colors and the airbrushing looks fantastic. Ida

Jana Loye said...

Just beautiful...I am very interested in the airbrushing. I added you to my website...I hope that was okay. Loved yours
www.janacraft.com

DoxieGirl said...

The air brushing is amazing!!! I love your use of the ornare stencil too! So stinkin' sweet!
Can you tell us where you got your masking tape that you used for the red white and blueberries card that you posted the other day?!?! I despise masking because of the "halo" look - I would love to try this tape!
Thanks for your awesome inspiration!
~Kendra

Related Posts with Thumbnails