November 15, 2012

Project December....altering wood embellishments

Wow, I have a bunch of stuff to share this holiday season.  If you've missed some posts, this year I'm combining my Project Life and Daily December all into my Project Life album.  You can scroll through my blog for lots of posts.  

Let's get right to today's project.  I have had some fun altering a few embellishments to add to my Project December pages and holiday projects in general.  It's always fun to challenge myself to make something unique to my albums.  This year along with the colors of red, aqua, green and buttery yellow I'm adding red stitching to all my papers + wood grain papers and accents will be sprinkled throughout.  So today I'm altering some wood veneer snowflakes, trees, arrows and hearts.  

First up if you want to add glitter to wood veneer, Glossy Accents is a great product.  You can google it online to find resources.  It goes on clear, pools up nicely and dries to a clear, raised finish. I also have a fondness for Martha Stewart glitters.  I find mine at Michael's. 
First up I applied Glossy Accents to the wood snowflakes using the fine point tip.  You want to apply enough so that all the surfaces are covered and you see a slightly rounded liquid finish.  But not enough that it all spills over the edge. 
Next I sprinkled on some coarse glitter.  Glitter just makes every holiday project so sparkly and festive. I love it.  
Here's what the dried snowflakes look like.  The Glossy Accents dries clear with all the sprinkles embedded in the dry liquid.  If you wanted to leave off the glitter, the Glossy Accents would have dried to a nice wet looking finish.
Next up I got out my green Martha Stewart glitters and went to work on some wood veneer trees.
I used a slightly heavier coverage of the glitter for the trees but less glitter would have left some of the wood veneer showing through.  I'll use these on my Project December inserts + they'll be cute on holiday cards and packaging.
Lastly, I used some Martha Stewart acrylic craft paints that I found at Michael's.  I painted the wood veneer surfaces, applying 2-3 coats to get a good coverage of paint.
Next I added a nice layer of Glossy Accents and just a tiny sprinkling of glitter.  I like this wet, shiny look so that the paint colors shows through.
Now I have a nice little stash of glittery wood accents to add to my collection of holiday products.
Here's a little sampling of one of the glittery snowflakes on a card.  I used Crate Paper, old dictionary paper, October Afternoon Make it Merry, red & white baker's twine and a stitched notebook tag from my Stitched in Red Kits.  The stamped sentiments are from Ali Edwards' Daily December stamp.
I've been using tags on my cards a lot lately.  They make a great layering accent and they're perfect to add a strip of patterned paper or Washi tape then a few wraps of baker's twine to finish off the card.
Here's a sampling of a new project I've been working on for my Project December.  The printed grid vellum with red stitching is a handmade item from the Stitched in Red Kit.  I love using the vellum because as you can see below, any patterned paper that use can still be seen underneath.
Here's a shot of the Stitched in Red Kit.  There are vellum pieces, index cards, a label, a library card, coin envelope, cute stitched notebook paper tags, sacks, twine and a few clips to make some gift packaging.  
Thanks for stopping by today.  I'm off to get groceries for my growing girls.  These long basketball practices are making them soooo hungry lately.  Tis the season.  :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love what you did with the wooden embellies! Thanks for the great ideas!

Froggie said...

One word...LOVE!

Kim Ryden said...

CUTE! I love all of the ways that you altered the wood embellishments! I need to think more out of the box like you! I love thos wood embellishments but never seem to do anything to them...just stick them down!

Anonymous said...

My, my! You have been one busy girl lately. Loving those glittery wood embellies. Thanks for sharing. Robin Barwacz

Kristy Hansen said...

I am loving all you are sharing with us. Love the glitter wood....I think I have some in my "stuff" that needs to see daylight. thank you for the idea.

Sherry Eckblad said...

Your Project December is going to be amazing and I can't wait to watch it come together. I am so far behind on my Daily December that I need to get busy.

Melissa said...

Just as sweet as can be Mish. Love all of the creativity you share.
Melis

Reshma said...

Enter your zip code hereKPN is an now agent for Ticketgoose.com. Kpn Travels has its own online bus ticket booking services with TicketGoose.com. In order to reach the people it came with TicketGoose.com. if you often visit this page you can get the disount Offers for your ticket

Kiersten said...

Your card is lovely! As always, you are such an inspiration!

Jill Norwood said...

Michelle you always inspire me! Your blog makes my heart smile big!
: ) Jill

Unknown said...

Have you tried embossing the wood veneer-it looks especially amazing with the sparkly, glitter embossing zing Powder.

Related Posts with Thumbnails