November 5, 2012

October Afternoon Postcard Challenge...

Hey everyone, how are you adjusting to the time change if you endure it?  I'm not a fan I have to say.  My body does not say, "Yay, one more hour of sleep" anymore.  It says, "Get up!"  Plus, as the cold winter days approach the days get darker earlier.  I like lots of sunshine so I make sure to soak it all up when there is a sunny day.  But I do love all the seasons so I will adjust.  

Today I have some holiday cards to share with you.  Jill is hosting the October Afternoon challenge over at the blog and I am joining in too.  Jill's challenge was to use the flip side of some October Afternoon products.  We both worked with the back sides of some Make it Merry postcards.  I created this set of 3 holiday cards.  

The fronts of the postcards have some darling, vintage images that I just love but the back sides of the postcards feature some nice vintage graphic words as well.  They made the perfect bases for layering on some cut out pieces from the Make a Card patterned paper
 I first stitched around all the postcards using red thread.  I then layered on strips of other Make it Merry patterned papers, the vintage images, and some Tidbits.
 I then tied each card with red and white baker's twine.  There is something about red and white for the holidays that really appeals to me.
I just love using an entire collection like Make it Merry for holiday projects.  Everything coordinates but  October Afternoon has a wonderful way of making things look mixy matchy, just what I like.  
 For a finishing touch I adhered some vintage, cancelled postage stamps from my stash.  I then used my date stamp and red ink to stamp on the Christmas date.  This gives the feel that my postcards are perhaps real and were actually sent through the mail.
 I hope you enjoy my cards today.  Have you gotten a start on your holiday crafting?  I am finding that I now prefer to create holiday cards a few at a time.  Although I love the mass production method, my time seems to allow for shorter crafting sessions.  So I end up making 3-5 cards at a time, then put away my supplies....then come back when I have more time.  I really like that I get a variety of cards this way too.  How about you, are you making holiday cards this year?  What is your process?

Okay, lots to share for the holidays.  I'll be back tomorrow with a tutorial on the October Afternoon blog.  Plus Wednesday, you'll be seeing lots of Make it Merry inspiration from the entire team.  Then it's time for Daily December and Project Life.  I'll start sharing my product picks, my process and some of my finished elements later this week.  I hope you'll join me.  :)

13 comments:

John'aLee said...

They are so adorable!

Mari K. said...

Adorable! How do always get your twine to make perfect bows? My right side loop is ALWAYS twisted! And I too am having a terrible time adjusting to the time change, as are my 11 month old twins. It's thrown us completely off! Hopefully we'll all be back on track in the next few days.

Unknown said...

I am not a fan of the time change. By the time I leave from work and go work out when I get home it is completely dark. Does not make me motivated to do much when I get home. I have over half my cards made, half my tags made. Still need to pull together supplies for my Christmas planners that I will give to friends at Thanksgiving. I will probably use many of those supplies for my December Daily, but still waiting to order the new Christmas OA products. When I make a card I love I will make about 4-5 more but that is about it, I like to make a variety of cards when I can. Like you I dont have really long periods of craft time all at one time. I also put everything away and start over at the next crafting session. I love all of the process! Diana F.

Heather Johnson said...

I have been reading your blog all year, but I don't think I have left a comment yet. I have to tell you--you are probably the most creative person I have ever "met" in my life! Such a gift, it's a joy reading your blog!

Dinahsoar said...

I love vintage holiday images and these are just darling. I'm a card-maker so I especially love it when you feature cards.

Unknown said...

I love these cards!!! I haven't made a single Christmas card yet BUT, that will change this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cute cards! I go with the photo cards to save me time and I just ordered them so I'm excited to have a jump on that task already. Also have to say that I love your new blog header picture! I always love your Christmas ideas, too. Thanks for the inspiration!!
Rachel

cjgusloff57 said...

The postcards for Christmas are so darn cute. I love 'em ! I am thinking about doing this for my cards this year, which I have not started. I have to get Thanksgiving over with first, it seems to get "lost" any more with Christmas all out in the stores already! I am not a fan of the time change, and the older you get, the worse it is to get bach on track!

Jessie said...

So with you on the day light savings! I want my hour of day light back!! Love your cards too cute!

Unknown said...

I just love OA and your fun holiday bags!

denise l m sassarrão said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
denise l m sassarrão said...

Loved your projects with the Make it Merry Collection Kit. I love everything they do, but unfortunately the collections take too long to arrive in Brazil. This year I will make pages for my Christmas album.

I'm crazy for OA. Absolutely love everything they do.

Sandra said...

OMG, these cards are soooo cute!!!
I just stumbles upon your blog via Pinterest. Love your work! Makes me happy.
I will stop by more often to see what you've created.
If you want to give one of the X-mas postcards a loving home in the Netherlands...

Related Posts with Thumbnails