November 13, 2012

Project December......3 x 4 Journal Cards

Hey there.  Things are moving quickly here on my blog this month.  I'll be posting something new nearly every day so be sure to scroll down to see if you missed any posts.  Today I'm sharing the 3 x 4 journal cards that I'll be using for the month my Project December pages....Project Life + Daily December all combined into one album. Since last year's December Daily is still sitting in a box unfinished I wanted to work ahead this year and be more prepared.  

These are the results of several sessions of creating 3 x 4 journal cards.  I moved my holiday product pick units to my craft table and just sifted through all the goodies.  
 There is definitely a holiday vibe but many of the journal cards are very neutral in nature too.  I wanted to create a balance so that for the weeks leading up to Christmas, I could pick cards that are more for everyday activities.  My journal cards at this point are very clean and simple.  I've learned that when creating handmade journal cards that I like to keep a lot of open space so that I can add a small photo and/or lots of journaling.  This is why you see mainly strips of patterned paper or tags added to the tops and sides of the journal cards only.  As I'm assembling my inserts I will add on the fun embellishments.
 One thing you might take note of is that I used red machine stitching on nearly every journal card.  Red is going to be a signature color for my December pages so I thought the stitching would tie everything together even though the cards are very mixy matchy.  I'll continue to add the red stitching to inserts that I add throughout the month too.  Tip:  If you want to change out thread colors in your sewing machine...say to use a green or a white....simply use a white/cream color for the bobbin. Then just switch out the spool color to whatever you want. 
If you count up my 3 x 4 cards there are definitely more than I need for just my regular weekly Project Life pages.  The page protectors that I chose to add as inserts have lots of 3 x 4 slots also I made extra.  Some of these cards would make layering pieces for holiday cards and I might use some for gift tags also.  These would look great with a to/from stamp and a strip of Washi tap layered over the top and taped to a Kraft   paper wrapped package.  And if there's lots left over this holiday, I plan to use them to create holiday thank you cards.  People still make thank you cards, right?

Okie doke, that's it for today.  I'll be posting a Home for the Holidays post tomorrow featuring some recent junkin' finds + maybe a few Pinterest ideas.  I'll also be adding some new items to the shop. Hope you'll join me.

7 comments:

Sherry Eckblad said...

Love your idea to make a bunch of the journal cards up ahead. I do my project life each day so I stay caught up and this would really help. I also like the idea of having a go to color for the month. Think I might have to steal your idea.

glorygirl said...

What fun cards! Looks like your December PL is taken care of :)

Christie said...

Love the cards! This may just give me the nudge I needed to send me over the edge of saying "yes" to DD! I, too, have a box of last year's unfinished DD album.

Linda said...

Wonderful Michelle, I'm not doing a DD but these journal cards would be great for December PL. I need to set up little containers like you to get me inspired.

Anonymous said...

After checking out a few of the blog articles on
your website, I really appreciate your technique of writing a blog.
I saved it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon.
Please check out my web site as well and let me know your opinion.
My web site > forex trading

kate blue said...

cute cards! and I am so lazy, I keep silver thread in my machine year round!

libbywilko said...

Beautiful cards Michelle, great idea to do DD within your PL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails