May 13, 2011

Garden Variety

Hi everyone and welcome back to the second Papertrey Group Post by Nichole and the Design Team. Today we're featuring the new Garden Variety stamp set along with the Year of Flowers Collection stamp set. I am head over heels smitten with the new Garden Variety stamp set. Each and every stamp and sentiment just fits into my life. Love it so much and I hope you will too!

Since the focus of my project took place on our front porch, I ventured out there to photograph my scrapbook page I did for today.But once again, a curious kitty named Ben wanted to be front and center.
So I moved inside for my photo shoot. :) I do have these photos to share from Josey's graduation weekend that were my inspiration for today's project. Time was short for decorations but I knew it was a perfect weekend to do some front porch sittin'. I grabbed a few vintage quilts to soften up the wicker chairs and threw a quilted tablecloth on the chippy white table. A few Iris from the flower beds and that was all that time allowed for decorations. The Mother's Day plants and hanging baskets that I love so much started working way their way onto the porch as guests arrived for the gathering. Instant color.
A typical scene on my porch includes lots of vintage watering cans. I have 4-5 that I sit here and there. Some will hold fresh picked flower bouquets, some will have water in them for watering porch flowers and some get used to tie on seasonal decorations like July 4th flags, etc.
For Josey's graduation weekend I didn't have many flowers from the beds yet to use as centerpieces. My mom snipped me giant bundles of white Spirea to fill my watering cans. This pretty can sits by my old suitcase that resides on the porch right now. It makes me think of an old friend that came to visit...or perhaps someone waiting for the train to come through town....or perhaps I keep it packed and ready to go just in case Dear Husband sends me packin' because I bought *one more* junky thing. Whatever the case, I love my vintage finds.
Here's a few watering cans that lined the front steps. I just love the craftsmanship of old, found things. So lovely. And do you spy what I spy? Jordan found a friendly little turtle that was passing through the yard. We included him in a few photos before we set him on his way.
And all those wonderful photos and memories of front porch sittin' bring me to today's project. I printed a few photos to use on a single page, horizontal, 8.5" x 11 scrapbook layout. The Garden Variety stamp set has a beautifully illustrated watering can so I knew it would work it's way into a scrapbook layout.
For my main title I used Kraft colored chipboard letter stickers from American Crafts. I've seen lots of scrappers stitch the letters on lately. Love this idea as sometimes those stickers don't stay stuck forever. I used the Small Scalloped Border die to cut out several scraps of patterned paper. Sentiments from Garden Variety and Button Boutique are stamped on using Ripe Avocado ink. A machine stitched border in green runs all the way around my layout.
A fun focal point aside from my photos is a Button Card die cut adorned with a popped up watering can and stamped and embossed flowers that mimic the Spirea branches that were in my actual watering cans. To create the galvanized, time worn look on the watering can I ink my stamp up with Aqua Mist ink. Then I tapped the inked stamp with Smokey Shadow ink. This gives that mottled look. Love how it turned out. For the flowers, I used a grassy looking stamp and a tiny flower cluster stamp that comes in Garden Variety. Other stamps from Button Boutique also embellish the Kraft button card die. Today I hand cut my watering can but there will be a watering can die + a few others that coordinate with Garden Variety. So happy about that.
For the bottom portion of my page, I used a 1" square punch to punch out various patterned papers. I used my sewing machine to create a quilted look to match the quilts in my photo. So happy how it turned out.
I hope you enjoy my post. I thought this one was gone for sure with all the Blogger issues. Whew! For more inspiration, be sure to visit the other Papertrey blogs:

29 comments:

Sudha said...

awesome creative creation.

Colleen said...

I loooove your layout! That watering can image totally looks like it is galvanized like your real vintage watering cans! Thank you for sharing how you achieved that look - I can't wait to try it. Beautiful pictures, beautiful porch (love those vintage quilts. I. must. get. some.), beautiful layout. I love your style and visit your blog as often as possible, so inspirational.

Wendy ten Hove said...

Love the watering can there! And your front porch looks amazing! All the flowers and colors, sompretty! Great sunny layout! Love it!
Hugs, Wendy

Cynde said...

Mish Love this post. Your page layout is gorgeous with all you beautiful porch pics (Love your porch too, looks so very inviting with all the quilts and fun vintage items). The set looks like it is going to be very fun. Absolutely love the watering can and your sharing the way you achieved the galvanized look. Fabulous!

Jill Norwood said...

Love your layout! So pretty and the quilted squares at the bottom play off the photos so well - as does the adorable seed packet with the watering can image! Makes me wish I had a front porch at my house...maybe someday. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas!

Vicki Bray said...

I am in love with this set! Love your photo's today so wonderfully peaceful looking! Love the watering cans as well!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful backdrop you have with your porch and vintage set up! I would be like your cat and hang around just because it is so inviting!! Amazing! And to include it in your layout...beautiful.

jan metcalf said...

Love the watering can!

Diane said...

"Gotta" say ~ I LOVE your layout....gorgeous! Love that porch, too...right up my ally...or should I say watering can.....always love yiour posts and blog, though I rarely comment.....but loove it just the same!!

Jean Franks Beck said...

What a beautiful job you did decorating! Your scrapbook layout is gorgeous - you completely nailed those watering cans with the flowers, an artistic masterpiece. Wow!!

Beth Norman said...

Good gracious, what a beautiful card. It reminds me of the beautiful porch you did up. You truly have talent.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy about today's stamp releases. I am suppose to be leaving today to go out of town for the day with some friends to celebrate birthdays. I could not leave until I commented on this post and of course it is so beautiful and creative. You are so wonderful to share your work with us, thank you. I just know this set is so Mish. I told my friends we must be back before midnight so I can place an order. They always get my card creations so they completely agree. Congratulations on your daughter's 8th grade graduation!

Rebecca said...

Mish - how much would you charge to fly to Ohio and redecorate my house?!! Love your style girl!

Jessie said...

Just beautiful!! I love your front porch!! You layout is lovely! Thanks for sharing your talent!

Heather Rogers said...

Very sweet LO. I love the country charm you have on your porch. All the quilts and cute vintage watering cans are perfect. :)

Carol's Ink Spot said...

You are truly inspiring with all the details and love you put into your projects. Love the page! Wish I had a porch like that. Great new stamp set with dies. I just want to garden now! TFS!

Rebecca Deeprose said...

What a great page and your porch was 'picture perfect'. In my mind, I'm sitting there right now. Love your style.

Diane Jaquay said...

Love all the splendid little details on this beautiful layout!

Lisa Elton said...

Your scrapbook page is darling. Loving the little quilt touch you've added. just one thing missing....the kitty!!!

Debbie Olson said...

Mish, what a fabulous look! Good luck on your big weekend!

Eveline said...

I just read all the posts from the last couple of days. I really like what you created with the new stamps and dies.
Eveline.

Artyjen said...

So glad Blogger did not chew up your post it is gorgeous!
xoxo Sioux

Anonymous said...

Love your quilty, gardeny, porch LO Mish! When I saw the Garden Variety peeks, I knew it'd be up your street ;)
Your watering can collection is too cute, and I hope Josey's graduation celebrations went well. Hugs, Ruth S

Lynn said...

your porch looks so welcoming! we love our front porch too! the watering cans, filled with spirea, are so gorgeous!

Renee said...

After oogling and whittling all day...
a moment to just say how incredibly gorgeous.
Love how you "quilted" the squares...
your creativity knows no bounds!
Love your front porch...
so warm and welcoming.
I love mine as well...
and have been hunting for some old quilts to place on my rockers because I won't dare put my grandmother's quilts...
but I think I should add some old watering cans to my list as well...
they are stunning on your porch.
Thanks so much for all your inspiration!

Carolyn Ruiz said...

Can I just come and hang out on your porch?!!!!

I love the way you found to transfer all of the warm, cozy front porch goodness onto your scrapbooking page. And I am really loving that gardening set at PTI.

Diane McVey said...

You have THE most beautiful porch! I also collect vintage watering cans. I just love them! Aren't they just the neatest things??!!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful porch and accents with us. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love your porch. I want to come and sit a while and sip a tall cool drink. Hope you are enjoying some family time. Take care. Robin Barwacz

Creative Busy Bee said...

Hi! Hop by and say hello to you! Love you creations so much. I

Related Posts with Thumbnails