May 3, 2011

Fabric on tags..part 1

As promised, I have some ideas to share with you using items from my recent Etsy kit called Earthy Flower Fabric Kit. The kit is now sold out but here are the items all bundled together. A full fat quarter of fabric, ribbon, twines, and fun embellishments...
For those that got a kit, the shipments went out on Tuesday so be looking for your package soon.
Here's a photo of the full kit items. I'll be choosing a few items to create some fun projects for you to use as examples. If you didn't get a kit, you can easily follow along using your own supplies. I'll also link up the supplies that I sell individually in my shop. If you want to search out the fabric, it's called " The Blue Skies Collection" by Sharon Holland Designs for Paintbrush Studio. I shopped locally for mine.

I know when you get your kit (or other kits on line), you open it up, look at it and then ask yourself, "What do I do with it now?" I'd like to offer a few tips for my kit items. The little parts and pieces are just the basics, begging to be stamped, layered, sprayed, altered, painted, etc. This is the time to get out those neglected supplies and tools and see what you can do. The basics are already there, they just need a little fancying up.
My first tag to show you is the one in the forefront below. I used a Large Parcel Tag from the kit for the base. Using a punched circle as a template, I cut out fabric circles. One is layered flat onto a circle punch of ledger paper. The other fabric circle was folded and twisted and then stitched in place with twine and button. The suede leaf from the kit was glued under the fabric flower.
For the tag itself, you can alter them in many ways. I'm loving Studio Calico's Mister Huey's spray mists lately. On this tag, I sprayed a light mist and then also dripped some splatters by unscrewing the bottle and flicking the nozzle hose onto my tag. You could also try your hand at paint using an old toothbrush to flick splatters.
For the stamped labels in the kit, I added a sentiment using individual letter stamps. I just love this little set from Hero Arts. You could easily add a name or use regular stamps too.
My first layer on the tag was a piece of faux wood grain I created by using clear cardstock from Papertrey + Claudine Hellmuth paints + wood grain tool from the paint shop. The kit contains a little snippet of this. I used my sewing machine and green thread to stitch on the wood grain piece. My stamped label was stapled on using my Tiny Tim stapler. I cut off the remaining portion of the tag to save for another project.
A few more buttons + twine + the fuzzy chenille ribbon and my tag is complete. I love to use the thick cotton twine in the kit to tie through the hole in the tag. My tag is now ready to add to a gift or brown paper sack stuffed with goodies.
Lots of textures and patterns on this tag. I love the shiny-ness of the woodgrain piece and the caterpillar feel of the chenille ribbon.
And one more thing. Since the back of my tag had stitching and a staple showing I adhered my tag to some sheet music from the kit. Trimmed around the tag and punched a hole and the back of the tag is now nicely covered. Fun stuff.
Thanks to everyone who ordered a kit. Hope you enjoy! Come back soon and I'll show you some fun elements from the butterfly tag shown above.

4 comments:

Emmy said...

Adorable! I love doing these alot! I add all sorts of things to my tags :) It's so much fun. Thanks for this idea too!

Cindy Lyles said...

These are so yummy Mish!!! Miss you - Cindy

Kelli said...

You have some very pretty creations!

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Absolutely beautful! I found you via Pinterest - I'm the newest follower of your gorgeous blog :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails