June 14, 2010

Celebrate Today Patriotic Card

Tonight's the big release night for Papertrey Ink. I might be running a concession stand for a t-ball game tonight unless it's too wet. So happy shopping, I hope you get all that you want!

I've spent some time in my Artsy Studio today, just putzing around. I used my patriotic goodies from my Patriotic Inspiration Station (see post below) to create a few red, white and blue embellishments to use on projects. It's so easy to assemble embellishments when you have a grouping of supplies in front of you. I reached for my Carnival Tickets in red, white and blue and used trims, buttons and Papertrey's new Pure Poppy Twine to create some ticket accents. I also used some vintage buttons on some tags I distressed. Lots of fun goodies to add to cards, notepads, little gifts, etc.
When ready to create a card with one of my ticket embellishments, a thought came to mind that I'd like to share. When it's time to create projects with a specific theme or holiday in mind, there are lots of patterned paper and themed embellishments to go along with them. Since I've recently cleaned out a lot of my *extras* in my studio, I've left myself with more basic crafting supplies instead of a lot of themed papers and embellishments. But don't worry because you don't think you have any July 4th goodies, for example. If you shop from your own stash, it's very simple to pull together colors and patterns to create a stash of themed goodies.

Take the photo below for example. These are just flowery and polka dot papers from October Afternoon but the colors reflect red, white and blue....which could easily be used for patriotic projects. By knowing what supplies you have...and grouping them together with a specific theme in mind.....you instantly have enough goodies from your stash for all your holiday projects.
I used some of those exact October Afternoon papers to create a vintage looking patriotic card. But it doesn't scream *July 4th papers* so this card could easily be used for a summer birthday card, etc.
I also used Friendship Jar images along with the jar die, a jar topper die, the jar label die and a sentiment from Friendship Jar. My Carnival Ticket embellishments fits right inside the jar. I will definitely be using the carnival tickets with the jar image more. A little bundle of red, white and blue Wrinkle Ribbon finish off the card.

Another tip when working with a theme in mind.....use just a few ink colors that tie together your project. I used Papertrey's Enchanted Evening and Pure Poppy.
So there ya have it, my little fire crackers. By using what you have in your stash....and keeping basic supplies on hand like ribbon, tickets and tags.....you'll never have to search far for holiday themed goodies. Okay, I'm off to create something fun for my mom's birthday. :)

14 comments:

Heather Rogers said...

Too cute! Yes, that is my problem. I found I have no 4th of July stuff. I guess I will have to look at my stash with a fresh set of eyes. Thank You! :)

Karey said...

You are so creative. I don't understand how everyone has so many great designs. Once again great eye candy.

Betsy said...

I never tire of looking at your posted photos as well as your creative projects. You are so very talented and a source of pleasure to many of us who admire your work (and humor!)

Jen said...

This was a terrific blogpost, Michelle. I like how you're directing us to use our stash and to find different ways to put together pre-made embellishments for multiple holiday and occasion needs. Very cool! This is what I want and NEED to learn. It's cost effective as well as creative! Thank you!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

I learn so much from you. Love the card you assembled. Excellent explanation for using the pattern papers in ways I'd never thought of. Thanks!

Lindsey Martins said...

You've probably already seen it, but...
This seller was featured on Etsy and it made me think of you!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MidwestFinds

Katie said...

Oh wow...lovely card with little doo-dads. I especially love the wrinkled seam binding...love it!

Tami McBeain said...

Love your card Mish, and thanks for the tip on the paper selection. I would not have thought to use that paper for a patriotic card. I'm so excited I just ordered your new PTI goodies and can't wait to start creating!

Juanita B said...

SENSATIONAL work, Mish. TFS

Judy said...

Mish, you are so creative! Just love the jars, and am hoping you can extend this line with bowls and baskets....what fun that would be! You are indeed a gem, and I appreciate your hard work and inspiration!

Angela W said...

So very cute, Michelle! Where do you get the wrinkle ribbon? I would love to color some of it for myself!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey left a link to an Etsy jar seller. Well, went to her Etsy page and from there found her blog. I don't know how to post a link, but you have to go find it. I read it all and it was absolutely fasinating. Oh, and their "house"...you've got to check it out. I want to go visit!
Jar lovers unite!!!

Anonymous said...

This is too amazing! I have gone to my shed to search for some old jars. They were put out there years ago. You have such a flair for design. Your blog always gets the creative juices going! Thank you so much for sharing.

♥Wendi said...

Super cute card. Love the colors you used. I would never think to use papers like that. i wold love to see one of your super cute notepads with a patriotic theme if you have the time!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails