December 12, 2008

Sweets for the Sweet

Edit: The Moda line of fabric is called Posh. The link is HERE for you to view. I don't have time to take photos of my actual fabrics cuz I'm out the door in a few minutes for a weekend full of basketball and company Christmas parties. Have a great weekend everyone!

You're in for a treat because all of the Papertrey designers have Valentine treats to show you! Check out Nichole's blog to see more goodies! I know we're still Christmas mode but Valentine's Day will roll around quicker than you think. I've already got some great ideas for gifts and it's always nice to be prepared in advance.

My treat for today is for a special someone that likes paper crafting AND sewing! I've designed a super fun, adorable kit that I've named *Material Girl*...get it? Material....like fabric. I knew you would. I'm packaging all my goodies into a Large Heart Tin with Clear Top from Papertrey. I didn't realize how much you could tuck into these adorable shaped tins. You need some for Valentine's Day gifts, trust me!Let's start first on some fun embellishments that I created. I could just gobble these up and I know you'll love them too. This month at Papertrey, Nichole is releasing a brand new set called Heart Prints. There are two sizes of hearts and guess what? They have 2 coordinating punches plus a coordinating sentiment stamp set. The designs in the various hearts are super cute, even more cute when you stamp them in fun ink colors.
Here's what I did for the embellishments. I wanted to keep with my sewing theme so I cut some pinked circles using the Spellbinder's Pinking Circles Dies with Kraft Cardstock. I then punched our circles of pattern paper. Not patterned paper, this is actual paper from a sewing pattern. See the photo above? I just cut the back of some old patterns that I found at garage sales and punched circles. All of the circles look vintage because the paper is old and discolored. And each circle has some sort of fabric measurements or little pictures of dresses, etc. So cute! I then took the smallest hearts from the Heart Print set and stamped them with Berry Sorbet and Ocean Tides ink. Then I just punched them out and adhered them the circles with pop dots. These will make adorable embellishments for Valentine cards, tags, bags, etc. I layered them all into clear top, round PTI tins. Stay tuned for projects using these embellishments come Valentine time.
I then grabbed two more tins from my Papertrey stash and filled one with colorful buttons and one with embroidery floss. I added one of my heart embellishments to the tin lids.
Of course I couldn't forget about the ribbon. I cut a couple feet from spools of Berry Sorbet, Dark Chocolate, Ocean Tides, Vintage Cream and some old lace. I used clothespins that I find at dollar stores to wrap the ribbon on and then secure with straight pins.
Okay, now comes the fun part....packaging up the goodies in the big heart tins. This part totally reminds me of a red Tupperware lunch box I had as a child. It was brand new (rare that we got something brand new when we were young) and it had 3-4 little containers that nestled into the lunch box just perfectly. I loved that thing, anyone have one too? Okay, I digressed but here we go with the packaging. Nestle in the two round tins that have the buttons and the heart embellishments.
Then layer in the ribbon spools that are on the wooden clothespins.
Then on the top goes the tin with the embroidery floss.
This all nestles in perfectly, with the clear heart lid letting all the goodies peek through.
Now onto the next part of my gift....fat quarters of FABRIC. Fat quarters are cuts of fabric that measure 18" x 22" and come neatly folded when you see them in the fabric stores. I picked up three fatties from a Moda(my favorite fabrics) collection that I think will be fabulous for Valentine's Day. The fabric colors are what drew my inspiration for the buttons, ribbons, etc. To package up the three fat quarters, I slid them into a Large Glassine Sack. If you cut a piece of cardstock to fit in the sack, it helps keep the sack more sturdy.
Using a long piece of Berry Sorbet Swiss Dot ribbon, I tied a bow around my fabric package. Then I added a tag using a larger Spellbinder's Pinking Circle, a lined recipe card and both sizes of hearts from Heart Prints. I inked the edges with Ranger Distress Inks to add a vintage look like the old pattern paper has. I stamped *Material Girl* with an alphabet stamp in black ink.
Then all you gotta do is present this adorable gift to a fun loving friend and you're good to go!
I think I might actually keep this first kit for myself and invite a friend over to make Valentine cards together. That will be THE perfect event in January once the holidays are over and we're all settled in for winter.
I hope you love my gift idea as much as I do. Be sure to check out all the other designers' sweet Valentine ideas as well. Check out Nichole's blog for even more fun. And don't forget to stock up on the heart tins and some of the others I've used for packaging. I think they'll be great for all those Valentine goodies.

Here's the other PTI designers:

Niki Estes
Lisa Johnson
Lauren Meader
Nichole Heady
Geny Cassady
Dawn McVey
Becky Oehlers
Melissa Phillips
Heather Nichols
Debbie Olson
Betsy Veldman

And one last thing, don't forget to join the Release Party at the Papertrey Ink Forums Sunday night. The release for December is the 15th(midnight on the 14th).

33 comments:

Debbie Olson said...

Mish, you did it again--another huge SCORE! This is incredibly creative--I love it, and I'm not even a quilter! I love the vintage decorative feel to it--fabulous!

AuBien said...

Michelle,
I am a new reader to your blog...just a couple of weeks now...and I have to say I just LOVE it! So cool.

Anonymous said...

How adorable is this? And I love that it didn't have food in it. Any crater would love a gift like this. Great work:)

Anonymous said...

Woops - my previous post should have said any "crafter", not crater!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, this is SO adorable. Love everything about it... using the old patterns was a stroke of genius! (My mom quilts, I papercraft - so....LOVE IT!) Thanks for yet another wonderful project.

CreativeMish said...

WOW! Valentines already! These are fabulous! I love the colors and the new stamps!

Dottie K. said...

I'm always looking for packaging ideas for scrapbookers and card makers. This is fabulous! Love the vintage colors. It sure has that WOW factor! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this idea - wow - what crafter wouldn't love to receive this????

Tami McBeain said...

Oohhh, this might just be the very best Valentine one could receive! It's fabulous!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift idea. Can you pull the fabrics and take a photo of them laid out so we can see them all. I really love the colors in them. Do you remember the specific line from Moda?

You are making really good progress on your quilt blocks. Just remember, even if you have to rip out tons of times, the more perfectly square your block is, the better your quilt will go together in the end. TRUST me, I've done it the wrong way before, and it is SO discouraging. Keep at it!~ Jan

Karen said...

I love it also. Even if you are not a quilter but a stamper, I can see that fabric on cards with all the embellishments. How creative!

Michelle Tech said...

Well, I AM a quilter and this is too cool! What a neat gift for someone or display for your own quilting space.

Mandy said...

Mish, you come up with such fantastic ideas, and this one is absolutely beautiful. What a great idea using pattern paper!!

Mandy

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is so beautiful! I love the vintage warm and pastel colors! Great job!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

This is just adorable! I love everything you have done - fabric, old patterns, quilting, ribbon.... and it's all in my basement! What a great use for those old pattern envelopes. So creative!

Elizabeth S. said...

Oh, what a great idea!! Love the packaging.

Melissa said...

Ohhh you brilliant little thing. Love this idea....what a lucky recepient...perfect in every way.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

What a darling gift!! Love those little tags. TFS

Lauren (mytime) said...

Love the fabric. Cute idea Mish

Kelly Lunceford said...

This is so stinkin' cute! I would absolutely love to receive a gift like this! YOu really hit the nail on the head with all of your cute little details! Absolutely adorable! Moda is one of my faves as well. I just picked up a bunch of fabric the other day and I was *so* wishing it was paper. I loved it when Daisy D's paper used to use Moda fabric for their designs. Great job on your project!

Anonymous said...

I love this, Mish! The colors are wonderful and I love how you used the old pattern. I love the whole vintage feel. So neat!

Linda Carson said...

BRILLIANT!

Angela Yosten said...

This is sooo adorable! Love this idea... Can I buy one of these sets from you?

Tricia T said...

What a wonderful set for a quilter or stamper or both. Wouldn't that make a cute tablerunner with buttons scattered here and there? Such a great idea!! TFS!

Anonymous said...

this is so amazing Mish!!! It's so cuddly and warm feeling!

retiredheather said...

Really great presentation. Lovely gift idea.
Happy Holidays
Heather

Diane Noble said...

This is the cutest idea! Absolutely love the ribbon around the clothespins idea. Adorable!

CreativeMish said...

Wouldn't thos Posh fabrics make fabulous designer papers??

Jenn said...

Just fantastic, Mish! What a great way to incorporate both of your crafting passions into one great idea.

Whimsey said...

Sheesh, you're a genius! Love the colors; fabric, ribbon, etc., it's all adorable!

DeeDee said...

YOU are so clever....I wanna come to your house and just watch you create!!! LOL!!! This is a really CUTE gift...and so thoughtful too!!! I love it!!! HUGS!!!

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

I totally agree with "DeeDee"! If I could just sit in your studio and watch you create things! :) I LOVE this idea! Great job, as always!

Also, I just started my blog and I put you on my sidebar under "People who inspire me most". Hope that's okay!

-Katy

Julia Aston said...

How fun and home spun looking! I love the spools of ribbon and packaged fat quarters! great colors on the hearts - I had one of those lunch boxes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails