December 5, 2008

Birthday Cake Cards

Edit: The glitter I used is from Stewart Superior. Buttons from Foofala.

Some teacher friends needed some refills on birthday cards so I took a little break from the holiday crafting to whip up a few cards for them. I remember when Nichole first came out with the Papertrey set called Piece of Cake. The way that the cake layers come in two stamps so that you can vary ink colors......and the way the fonts mix and match for the sentiments....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! I used the same ink colors for the main images on both sets of cards...Ocean Tides, Dark Chocolate and Ripe Avocado. To give a couple options, I used several patterned papers from October Afternoon. The base cards are Vintage Cream and the ribbon is Saddle Stitched Ribbon in Ocean Tide.

I used some glitter on the cake frosting. It's SO sparkly and shimmery. You can zoom in to see it up close.
And of course, I had to use buttons....definitely one of my favorite embellishments. I tied them up with a thin twine. The top card shows two buttons tied together, without cutting the twine.
And check out the inside of the cards. I was able to use three separate images using three different ink colors. Such a FUN way to fancy up the inside of the cards.

Okay, I'm off to my quilt class this morning. We've had a bit of a delay for a few weeks so I haven't been. So I'm looking forward to today. Hopefully I'll have some finished blocks to show you soon! And I'm also working on my Daily December Album so I'll have this week's entries to show you. Have a great day everyone!

10 comments:

DeeDee said...

Oh I really like these cards and the color combo is just perfect!! Love all the glitter too!! Have fun at your quilting class....can't wait to see what you've made so far!!! HUGS!!!

Sheena Richmond said...

Beautiful...I love that stamp set! And the glitter on top looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful birthday cards!! Love the colors and the DP! TFS

Looking forward to seeing your quilt squares. Have fun!

Debbie Corbari said...

WOW! I haven't seen this set in a while! I haven't inked mine up in FOREVEH! I LOVE what you made....and may ink mine up again soon! TFS!

Linda Carson said...

These look good enough to eat! Fabulous cards!

CreativeMish said...

Very pretty! I've always loved all the projects I've seen with this set.

Tami McBeain said...

Cute birthday cards Mish! You've inspired me to pull this set out again and make a few cards for my stash. Love the touch with the glitter and the buttons! You'll have to show us what you've been up to in your quilting class...that's going to me my next obsession, er I mean craft!

Denise said...

Your cards are so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Question. :] What do you use to adhere ribbon to your cards?

Cute cards!

Whimsey said...

Michelle,

I love your blog; everything you do is utterly amazing to me!

On these cards and several others I have viewed that have a ribbon running across them but do not tie...are the ribbons cut "right on the edge" of the card; or is it wrapped around and I'm just missing it? I'm sorry; I know this seems so simple, but I just can't tell for sure.

TIA for your help!

Related Posts with Thumbnails