August 22, 2009

For my teacher...

School is back in full swing for us now. My girls are gone til 5:30 each day with school and volleyball practice.....and I have my first subbing job on Monday. I thought I would build up a stash of some teacher themed cards. Looking at the photo below, it's like I've never gotten over that *new school supplies* feel good feeling!!For today's lesson, I used Karen Lockhart's Itty Bitty Apple. It's the perfect little stamp to have in your stash to use on teacher themed cards. I've been trying some new layouts too, this will be a fun one to add to my idea book.To keep with the teacher/school theme, I used scalloped square and circle punches to make some shapes. Learning those shapes is very important! Tied Papertrey Vintage Buttons and Papertrey Pure Poppy Luxe Satin ribbon finish off the top of my card. Paper is by October Afternoon.
This strip of stamped Lockhart apples that I colored with Copic Sketch markers and the sentiment from Vintage Picnic was the first element I made when beginning this project. I love how the ideas just flow from there. The bottom of my card was stamped with Papertrey's Background Basics: Text Style. I think the black cardstock stamped with Fresh Snow ink gives a real chalk board feel to the card. The outside border of my Kraft card base was stamped with Polka Dot Basics II in True Black ink. Glossy Accents by Ranger was added to the apples to make them shiney.
And here's the Copic Sketch marker colors I used for the Lockhart apples.
A few fun cards to add to my stash....ahhh, life is good! Now, I better make it a productive weekend since I'm back to school on Monday. I know the girls are glad to have a weekend off after their first full week of school. Josey(7th grade) already had to sit out recess after lunch yesterday because she jumped off some playground equipment....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the purpose of playground equipment?? I just blew that one off. And Jordan (6th grade) got to practice with the varsity team yesterday at volleyball practice. She was quite excited about that! I love to hear school stories from my girls......they are constantly interrupting each other because each one wants to tell their story first!! Good times indeed!

17 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Lovely cards! I'm with your girls and so glad for this weekend.
It's a busy one for me as my firstborn will be 17 tomorrow! So I have some baking and cooking to do.

dolcreations said...

Your cards are beautiful Mish. I actually made some cards today using the same paper. I just love that line! As always you do such beautiful and VERY inspirational things. Like a cup of coffee in the morning..you are my cup of routine! Check Mish Mash's blog!
Christine

Unknown said...

Love your cards - & the shiny apples! You made me laugh when you mentioned your daughter getting in trouble for jumping off equipment. What are they supposed to do - climb sedately on and off?!?! Funny. Thanks for sharing your creative talent!

Katie Skiff said...

Awesome!! I love the way you colored the apples. I love new school supplies too.
Sounds like the teachers are strutting athourity right off for not being too crazy at recess. LOL... I remember getting in trouble for being to crazy in PE once...um, it's PE. Have a great weekend!!

Katerfly said...

Lovely cards. Nice new layout too. As for your daughter missing recess...I don't get it anymore. I myself am a teacher and sometimes the rules at school don't allow kids to be kids anymore. A friend of mine informed me that her son's school has an absolute no touching rule. If you are playing and touch another student, even if its for a game of tag, you end up punsihed for it. How do kids ever learn about boundries. Anyways...thanks for sharing your lovely cards. I enjoy stopping by your blog.

Juls said...

great, love the apples!! Just perfect!

Karen said...

I really like this sketch, it is a keeper. Those apples are so cute and I love the button treatment. I always loved back to school time. The kids are so excited and chatty at the beginning of the year. Enjoy.

sharon said...

Girl! You otta be smacked!!! Too cute! I wanna be one of the new teachers!
Sharon L

Michele Swanberg said...

Very cute cards. I love your work. I check your blog everyday for inspiration! I'm with you on the playground equipment. It is funny what some school officials decide to get upset about. I once got a phone call from the principal because my son took a honey packet from the cafeteria out to the playground. He started the conversation with "As you know, Jordan likes honey..."(Yes, I have a Jordan, too). I was thinking, don't you have anything better to worry about than honey packets? Like you, we just let it slide.

Patti J. said...

Yikes Mish, I MUST stop coming to your blog! LOL! After my last trip here I spent $35 at PTI.... can't do that every day! Love these teacher cards! I need to turn in my sub app - thanks for the reminder!!! Beautiful cards - thanks for sharing!

stacy g said...

Yummy ! Those apples look delish ! As always its adorable : )

Lorri said...

Michelle, you are so talented, I love your blog and wonderful ideas.

Julia said...

So funny that your girls come home and try to talk over each other! My kids do the same thing! But there's 10 of them and boy do they get mad at each other for interrupting. I guess they all want some time. I think my ears hurt a lot! I love it!
Your cards are beautiful. I love teacher inspired cards! I don't know, maybe it's the color of the apples!

Margaret Anne Clark said...

As a teacher, I feel I need to stick up for some of my colleagues here!!! We have playground equipment in our school which the kids MUST be supervised on (eg no adult, no play) and there are really strict safety rules about - like no jumping off.... Do we agree with these rules ? NO NO NO !!! But if we don't adhere to them, we are liable for any accidents and, altho y'all sound sensible folk, there are those who would take huge sums out of the (seriously poor) educational system because their little cherub grazed a knee. It is ridiculous, but that's the way it has to be!!! (When I think about the stuff I got up to roaming around our countryside and how shut in our kids are, it makes me weep !) hope that perhaps explains that it's perhaps not just pwer-hungry teachers stretching their influence after a long break !!

Very cute cards BTW - I'd love to find one of these on my desk on a Monday morning!!

Evelin said...

Gosh, I love your cards Mish :) I love your inspirations!

And though I just discovered your blog recently, it's now my daily routine to check here for your new posts!! :)

patriciad said...

Hi Mish! Cute (of course) card. I like the white ink on black cardstock for that blackboard look. Quite the clever girl, you are...but we already knew that now, didn't we?? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love your cards - & the shiny apples!!!!really fantastic...As always you do such beautiful and VERY inspirational things....thanks

--
Reenee
Plug and play Security Systems no Contracts at the best affordable Prices

Related Posts with Thumbnails