July 8, 2009

Bake Sale Tips

We do an annual garage sale each spring and the girls love to set up a little bake sale along with a cooler of pop. Jordan prepared the marketing items for her and Josey's bake sale so I thought I would share some tips for bake sale success.

Make a cute sign that is colorful and glittered. Jordan used my Copic Sketch markers to list the items and their prices, matching the colors of the basket liner they used for the treats. She also used glitter on the sign which looked totally cute. And even though the sign is clearly displayed, be prepared for each garage sale goers to ask, "How much are your cookies?" Advise bake sale workers to not answer, "Duhhhhh, can't you read people?" Good customer service is key.
You must have a functional money box, preferably with a closing lid. Be sure to have some starter change in there, mostly quarters. Also, put a sticky note in the box listing how much starter change there is and who donated that starter change. That ensures that no one gets ripped off of their original starter money. Trust me, every bit of money is divided equally, down to the last penny! Require bake sale workers to count back change, it's good for their math skills.
Be prepared to pay bake sale workers full price for each and every brownie and pop that you want, even if you bought the pop and bake sale ingredients for the bake sale workers. These bake sale workers mean business!This is a mock set up, but have the bake sale workers set up a cute display. We always have a card table set up with an old quilt or tablecloth. The sign is neatly displayed and a Longaberger basket holds all the goodies. Be prepared for garage sale goers to ask if the Longaberger basket is for sale. Instruct bake sale workers to reply, "Not on your life, lady."

It doesn't hurt to have cute bake sale workers either. With combed hair, clean clothes and brushed teeth. I don't care if it is just a garage sale, no one wants to buy brownies from some crusty eyed kid with morning slobber on their mouth, messy hair and wrinkled pajamas. This is a real job people, you gotta dress the part!
Next, have your food items packaged in good sized, 50 cent portions. The girls helped make no bake cookies, brownies and chocolate chip cookies. You'll be amazed at how many people don't make homemade treats. They love the homemade stuff. Individually wrap the items with plastic wrap or put in plastic baggies. Also, have one of each kind of pop you're selling setting out. The garage sale goers get thirsty so make sure your for sale items are visible! Keep the rest in an ice chest. Dump lots of ice on top to make sure they're frosty cold. Although we've had requests by garage sale goer husbands, we don't recommend selling beer at your garage sale. This is a family event, people. Besides, I don't think 10 and 11 year olds can get liquor licenses for bake sales. We checked.
Next, presentation is everything, as I've said a million times here on the blogaroonie. My fine Pine friend gave me some good ideas in her blog post about pricing items for her vintage sales. So we took her lead and made some cute tags to clip on our goodie basket, using clothespins. We got lots of comments on the cute display. And we sold out of goodies on the first day so business was good. It doesn't hurt that Grandpa came home for lunch and purchased 8 cookies.
Here's what we did for the tags. Jordan stamped a circle tag image from Papertrey's Trademarks stamp set onto Rustic Cream cardstock using Ripe Avocado ink. She punched out the tags using a scalloped circle punch, punched a hole and added some Spring Moss Satin Ribbon. Jordan used a brown marker to write each cookie name on the tags. Good ol' clothespins were used to attach the tags to the basket. Then all the cookies were lined up behind each corresponding tag.
We have a lot of fun at our garage sales and bake sales. They've become a family tradition of sorts and we always look forward to making a little extra spending cash. Plus, the girls will have lots of sales experience to put on their resumes when they go looking for real jobs. They can even use me as a reference for their supervisor.

I hope you're having a blast with your kids this summer! Anything can be turned into a fun event, especially if you use a little creativity!! Have fun......wanna buy a cookie?

29 comments:

Michelle said...

I'd buy your cookies anyday!! They always look delicious! Cookie baking is a staple in our house. My kids friends are always happy to come over and find home made snacks and desserts. With two teens in the house and their friends.. they go QUICKLY! :)

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

Yes, I would LOVE to buy a cookie from you!! I don't care if it is only 8:30 AM! Haha! Super cute setup. :)

dolcreations said...

Michelle..you have a way of wording your blog that is just so cute..I chuckle always as I am reading! Your girls are so sweet. I would have loved to drop in on your garage sale. Brownies are a must!
Great display..you should open up shop every week!
Christine

Debbie Nelson said...

Great idea for getting the kids involved in your garage sale...the display is great...they look delicious!

Kathi S. said...

My son wants to have a lemonaid stand at our garage sale. I like your idea about the bake sale. I think we might sell water too. I love all your ideas. My son loves to use my copic markers so I'm sure he will use them to make his sales sign.

Karen said...

Such a great idea. I'm sure the kids have a blast selling. Who could resist purchasing from those adorable faces.

Unknown said...

I would like one of those brownies! LOL Thanks for the tips. I have a business minded nine year old son who would love to do something like this!

Leslie said...

Aren't no bake cookies the best! I may make some for our beach trip:)

Mary said...

Too funny! And perfect timing - we are having our garage sale this weekend :)

Shawn Marie O'Connell said...

You are such a good Mom!!! I love your ideas!! I'm sure the girls have a blast designing their marketing plan (heehee!). Great job to all!!! The goodies look scrumptious!!!

Lorri said...

Your handmade BAKE SALE caught my eye, particularly the words POP 50 cents!! Not sure where you live, but it's got to be somewhere in the midwest! :) I am a native Minnesotan and the word POP sounds all too familiar!! We moved to AZ and I sadly converted to the word SODA. So seeing your post took me on a trip down memory lane....Thanks for your awesome blog and smiles I got from reading your post.

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

I'm sure you get asked this all day, every day, but what kind of camera do you use? I am in the market for a new one..

Elizabeth S. said...

I would love to buy one of your cookies!! Your sales person is adorable. What a fun and creative idea. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Carson said...

No bakes for .50? Are you crazy? You could easily get .75 for those yummy cookies!!! I made 2 batches just last week!

CathyB said...

You make me smile!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

fun blog post! I would buy a cookie too! It's too hot here to bake.
We have fun at our garage sales too. After I saw Pine's new set, I knew we were going to need it to make our next sale even more impressive!
My youngest loves garage sales and loves to do lemonade, while my oldest loves to bake, so helps me with that. They are both boys and their wives are going to thank me some day. Ü

Lisa S said...

How fun!

Tami McBeain said...

MMMMmmm...I'll take one of each please! You have to be just about the coolest Mom out there, would you care to adopt a 46 year old kid? Your girls are so cute and they are very blessed to have a Mom who loves to make life fun! Good luck at the bake sale girls and good luck at your garage sale too!

lmangan said...

Michelle,
Can't tell you how much I love to read your blog! I laughed so much when reading this...I'm going to pass on your tips to my boys! :)

Vicki Chrisman said...

Totally CUTE M!

Kathy Jones said...

I absolutely LOVED reading this post - I was giggling all the way through! Sounds like a great day and I'd be buying a brownie for sure!!! :)

Jen W said...

You crack me up! thanks for the garage sale tips! Love the idea of cute bake sale helpers! good luck!

Heidi said...

Fun, fun, fun!! Your setup is great! Thanks for the fun tips and enjoyable post! Have a great time with your kids too!

Melissa said...

How fun!

Many Blessings,
M.

stampin at the lake said...

A Longaberger owner, a woman after my own heart. Hope your sale continued to be good! and thanks for the ideas

itsallrosi said...

super cute! I've been contemplating having a garage sale for a few months now. maybe stamping some price tags and baking some brownies will get me a little more motivated!

BasketMom said...

this post made me chuckle! I have a ginormous garage sale every May and I put lots of different things inside Longaberger baskets and everyone thinks they're a comedian asking if the baskets are for sale (sure - full catalog price, ma'am). And my kids love having lemonade stands and love making the fun posters like your kids. Great ideas!!

Anonymous said...

liWhat a wonderful thing to do with your children. They'll remember this so fondly. You've shared some wonderful ideas, and those baked goods look luscious. thanks a bunch.WRE

emilymomto3boys said...

too cute! The boys sold soda and water at our last garage sale and made $50! I'll have to ask them if they want to add baked goods next time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails