January 11, 2016

Morning coffee sketches..

One of the popular subjects for sketch artist Liz Steel is her teacups and coffees.  She does amazing sketches and even though she does a lot of them they never get old.  There's always something new to them.  So I tried my hand at it.  My sketches today were done way early in my watercoloring beginnings and I can see how how far I've come in nearly a year.  
 I have learned to look more closely when I draw and get better proportions.
 I have learned a ton about values and color although I do love this mug of coffee.
 Here I took some more time to sketch my subject in pencil.
 You see on the bottom left that much of that wonderful was lost when I added the watercolor.  My painting looks pretty flat.  I've since learned how to layer some colors and that if I can, I start my sketch with a waterproof pen.  It just saves time and that spontaneous drawing is the look I'm going for.
Two great additions to my sketchbook.  It's really fun looking back on this journey.  For those who haven't seen any of my journey on Instagram, should I catch up with all the back sketches.....or would it be fun to see some of my current work mixed in?  Just curious...

8 comments:

Gypsy 2 said...

Mish,
I am loving your water colours.What an exciting journey for you and for us who follow you in blog land.I have just bought myself some pens and at the moment stamping and water colouring the images.I hope to be able to draw one day but now am having a lovely time.Keep up the great work

Jean Franks Beck said...

Love, love, love this series, Mish! And yes, I would love to see you mix your early work with your current work, in the same post, for a very important reason..... it gives us inspiration to just keep trying, keep working! It can be intimidating to start, but it can be even more intimidating to keep going if you are not thrilled with what you see on the page at first. I tend to start and stop a lot because I don't like what I see. Obviously I have to not give up. It reassures me to see and hear you say how far you've come. And I'm loving your pics on instagram! (I'm just now joining the rest of the world!)

Unknown said...

I agree with JeanFB above, it would be fun to see the early work mixed with your current goodness. Sketching and painting is all so outside my comfort zone but I am loving your posts. Will I pick up a paintbrush...I don't know. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the art of those who do. Your work is so inspiring to me on many levels...thanks for sharing!!

Denise P said...

Mix it up! Love to see what you are up to.

Linda said...

Please do share it all.

Unknown said...

I am enjoying your series. Yes, it would be neat to see some of your current work along with the older work. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

bluebird said...

I love seeing all your drawings! They are beautiful!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to share your talent. I'm really enjoying looking at your work and it doesn't matter if you start from the beginning. It's all so inspirational. Perhaps I will try to do some water coloring! I also love your recipe card post. My son bought me a wooden recipe box last Christmas, and sheepishly admitted that he had ulterior motives - that we would load it up for him when he goes back to school for his master's degree next year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails