April 1, 2014

Workspace Wednesday...Painting with Watercolors

Today is Workspace Wednesday and I decided to paint with my new Gouache watercolors. I had the paints in these flower palettes from when I made some color swatches and I didn't want the paint to go to waste.  So paint I did.
It's been a long time since I've been in a watercolor class and practically any and all techniques that I learned are long gone. I really want to get better at painting florals so here we go with the practicing.  I spent quite a bit of time just mixing colors and tested them out on my watercolor paper. I tried for some tiny, intricate flowers and I wasn't feeling it.  I switched up things and went for a more impressionist look of flowers like you see at the bottom below.  Much better. 
 Then I went bigger and looser, adding a wash of water onto my watercolor paper first.  I like this look but I really need to study some flowers, watch some videos and keep on practicing.
 Then I had enough space for one last flower.  This was my favorite.  The hint of a blooming flower.....a variation of colors....and lots of white space.  Whaddya know....I put paint to the paper today. I'm kind of fond of that little messy blob.
It's just a page full of trial and errors.......but I started.  You gotta do it. Just start....
 I also wanted to try my hand at the script lettering.  You can't get better if you don't try.  Put the paint to the paper....and I did.
 I set a goal to start painting in the new year.  It's now April.  Today was the day.  Pardon the language but my dad used to tell us kids to "shit or get off the pot" when we should be up and doing something.  He was right even though I hated it when he said that.  I was intimidated to paint, afraid it wouldn't be good.  But who cares. I'm not doing this to please anyone but me.  I'm doing it for me.  Just for fun.  Just to be surrounded by art and paint and color.  It felt so good, you guys.
I hope that today is your day to start something you've been longing to do.  Just start.  Today.

17 comments:

Nadine said...

What a wonderful post Michelle! I put paint to paper this weekend and I'm quite proud of my blobs too. I really enjoyed visiting your blog today. :-)

alexandrea at two-forty-six said...

"Shit or get off the pot." I absolutely love it. I'm going to start using that. Lol.

Beautiful water coloring. Even when you're just practicing with watercolors it always ends up looking so pretty. :)

Tami McBeain said...

You inspired me with your last watercolor post so I went out and bought some cheap watercolors and some gouache paints. Now I just have to use them! Thanks for another inspiring post!

Joan B said...

Gorgeous. my favorite part are the amazing colors you achieved. keep doing whatever you are doing!

Natalie Winterstein said...

Lol. That was a saying used in my house growing up too! I find this post SO inspiring. I work full time and lately have felt very lethargic and lacking in motivation. Now I am itching to get into my craft room and play! :)

Natalie Elphinstone said...

Great post! I absolutely love that you shared the process. The sometimes not-so-perfect process, the journey of discovery, the practice sessions, instead of just the prettied-up final product. This is actually more inspiring I think, because it shows that it's actually attainable. Love what you've done here. Can't wait to see more!

Laurence W said...

I love your post full of energy and pushing us to do things we maybe wouldn't dare to do !

Kellie 0:) said...

So inspiring. You make me feel like getting into my craft room and getting dirty. Thanks for more awesomeness and thanks to my friend Jo for sending me to your blog

Margaret said...

I like blobs! Your colors are so refreshing, so playful. And I like the 'impressionistic' short ones.

Cindy Coutts @ Cindy B Designs said...

LOVE! Cut down to PL size and do a 2-page spread OR if you have two 12 x 12 pages without pockets, use those to keep intact. I make sure I have all sizes of page protectors on hand, whenever I start, but I got my new vintage typewriter today! No more excuses. I'm learning Instagram too. Wish me luck. I Tweeted to you that I will be in your neck of the woods early summer to see my daddy's stone that was finally put in. I will go and see daddy first for some closure (he passed July 29, 2013, awful day) and then go to your house filled with life.

Anonymous said...

I so look forward to these posts!!! Thank you for sharing - your flowers are absolutely beautiful! So lovely!! I've been trying to do a 4x6 watercolor a week to put in my PL album - a little documentation in watercolor of what's going on in our world! Do you know of anyone else doing this? I've been looking for inspiration in that area and haven't had luck finding any...Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Good for you! Love what you've started & what fun, vibrant colors. Your lettering is really nice too. Maybe I will dig out the paints and give it a try. Thanks for always inspiring us.

nancy said...

This post just made me happy. The wonderful, vivid colors made my heart sing. Have fun playing. Think I need to do the same.

~ Jo ~ said...

Michelle your trials and error make me smile ear to ear! I have always been fond of paintings and art, watercolors and brushes...but I have always been intimidated by it all. I am not a painter or artist of any kind when it comes to paints. Heck I cannot draw anything much more than a stick figure person ...but after this post, I feel like I can be the best artist/painter in the world. You are so uplifting and inspiring. Thank you for this post and for being YOU. I'm going to have to give painting a try.
Hugs,
Jo
xox

christy said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!,,

christy said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!,,

Me, My Stamps and I said...

you are so talented!!!!!
You are the best at what you do!!!!
tfs:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails