April 28, 2014

Project Update: Catherine Quilt (cutting random strips)

So I took over the dining room table and here we go with my new quilt.  I gathered up all my supplies and just dug in.  I started by grabbing a fat quarter and just started cutting strips.  
 There is no measuring in the style of quilt I'm making.  I purposely did not want to have to measure much or cut intricate pieces. There is no pattern to the quilt I'm making.  I just kept on cutting strips in random widths. Note: The ruler grip by Omnigrid is so awesome.  It keeps my long ruler in place and is  easy on my hands.
 I just kept on trimming.  It was an easy task to do while dinner was in the oven, or while drying clothes, etc.
 I finally had all of my chosen fabrics trimmed into random strips.  This is such a pretty sight on my table.  I also have all of the linen pieces trimmed too.  Boy, it was hard to cut into those.  Now I just need to keep the hunters from dumping their camo gear on my nice, clean fabric strips.
Now, I'm ready to start piecing together the parts of the quilt.  I've started on this and that will be my next blog post.  If you want to follow along with the progress of my Catherine Quilt from the beginning just click on the "Catherine Quilt" label at the end of this post.  It will take you to my very first post of this project.

Note: The fabrics I'm using are from Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics and the line is Sweet as Honey.  I purchased mine at Fat Quarter Shop.  A few of the patterned fabrics are from my stash as well as all of the linens that I'll be using. 

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I am new to your blog (well, I used to check you out when you were with PTI) and I'm enjoying your paper crafting style and your quilt. I'll be checking back to see how those pretty fabrics go together:)

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Oh I can't wait to see what this looks like when you are done! I have my g'ma's old quilting frame and want to get back to quilting. It's been awhile since I made something big.

Related Posts with Thumbnails