November 22, 2010

Day 1 of 12 Days of Christmas

Edit: The next 12 Days of Christmas post will be after Thanksgiving. Have a great turkey day everyone!

The much anticipated day has arrived. My sweet friend, Melissa Phillips is joining me for 12 wonderful days of Christmas blogging. Welcome to Day 1! Here is the link to Melissa's post for today.

We're not quite past Thanksgiving yet but we wanted to kick off this week with a special post. We know you all love the notebooks, especially the holiday planners. So our theme today is notebooks. I can't wait to see what Melissa has created, I know it will be swoon worthy. I think a holiday planner is a must during this busy time of year. I like to give my creations to friends and family a bit before the holiday rush begins. Thanksgiving gatherings would be the perfect time to give out these wonderful paper treats.
I wrapped my holiday planner up in a Long Sleeve so that part of the notebook peeks out. I used Wrinkle Ribbon, a glittery holly sprig, baker's twine and a vintage silky threaded ornament to fancy up my packaging. There's nothing prettier than a fancy package.
Here's the front of my holiday planner. I decked it out with papers from Papertrey and The Girl's Paperie. The notebooks themselves are from Papertrey.
I couldn't create a holiday planner and not use my Take Note set from Papertrey. I added a word sticker from The Girl's Paperie to the top of my circle accent. Underneath the circle accent are lots of Papertrey dies and more sticker accents from The Girl's Paperie.
Here I've added some Wrinkle Ribbon tied up with a button, baker's twine and a Small Metal Tag stamped with *no peeking* from Friendship Jar Holiday Fillers and some chunky Martha Stewart glitter. Under all that are some fun banner shapes die cut from Cork Paper and patterned paper.
More word stickers are along the bottom. I love that these have some of the letters colored in.
Here's the inside of my double padded notebook. I covered one side with patterned paper so that nosy little redheads can't see what's inside.
More letter and border stickers. I love those things! And of course, an embellished clothespin that has patterned paper, chunky glitter, and a button tied with jingle bell and baker's twine. Those are perfect for holding recipe cards, little notes and coupons during the holidays.
More word fun with the stickers...
Double sided patterned paper makes for easy work on this cover sheet.
I hope you are inspired to create some holiday planners of your own. Be sure to check out Melissa's sweet creation. Before I go for today, Melissa and I have another surprise for you. Each day of our 12 Days of Christmas countdown, we'll each be posting a recipe. That's a total 24 recipes, peeps!

Today I'm sharing a soup recipe that I made over the weekend for guests. It was the best dish of the night. My nephew ate 3 bowls and said *Awesome Aunt Michelle*. Gotta love that from a teenage boy! The girls said *Mom, we should not just make this when company comes, it's a keeper*. Double bonus points from the reds! Seriously, if you make one soup recipe this winter make this soup. It's creamy and yummy and the best comfort food evah! I served mine with some crusty bread that I drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with cracked black pepper...and we topped it with cream cheese and some of my candied jalapenos that I made a while back. Heaven in a soup pot, I tell ya! Hope you enjoy!
Of course I had to make a recipe card. The above photo is the front of my 4 x 6 recipe card. Below is the back side of the recipe card. Papers are from Wild Asparagus and My Mind's Eye.
Here's the recipe that you can copy and paste, enjoy!

Potato and Onion Chowder

2 cans chicken broth
1 cup water
½ cup yellow onion, chopped
2 bags frozen, shredded hash browns
½ teaspoon parsley flakes
2 cups cured ham, chopped
1 can celery soup
1 can onion soup
1 cup velveeta
1 small tub cream cheese with chives
half and half, 1 pint
cracked black pepper to taste

Brown onion and ham in large soup pot in a little olive oil. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Add hashbrowns and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add parsley flakes, soups, cheese and cream cheese. Let dissolve and cook for 20 minutes. Add enough half and half to create desired consistency. Add pepper to taste. I like to serve with a crusty bread that has been sliced, drizzled with olive oil, topped with cracked pepper and warmed in the oven. The ultimate comfort food and soooo yummy on a cold day. from Michelle Wooderson Nov 2010.

Edited for questions: Both soups were the cream versions...Cream of Celery and Cream of Onion (not French Onion Soup) and I don't know what size the hash browns were...not the giant bags.

27 comments:

Kathy W said...

Holiday projects and recipes, too! Thanks for putting this on; what a cute planner.

Toni K said...

This is adorable! Love it!!!

Unknown said...

LOOVE it!! you are so inspiring! thanks for sharing your talent!

Dana Gustafson said...

Fabuloso! I love inspiring projects for the holidays!

Tami McBeain said...

Love the little notebook Mish and I'm so excited that you're sharing recipes as well! What a fabulous gift for us blog friends! Thanks to you and Melissa!

♥Wendi said...

Oh dear me! Another amazing note pad. Love it! Really love the clothes pin too. The bell on it... oh soooo cute!! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Oh Mish...this is completely irresistible. Love the Girls' Paperie elements sprinkled throughout...your embellished clotheslin...all of it. And, I must try your recipe...it sounds divine!
Melis

Elizabeth S. said...

Love your notebooks! Love your ideas. Thanks for the recipe. I am definitely going to make it!

patriciad said...

Absolutely adore the planner. Would love to be able to crank out about 5 of these babies to give to my girlie Thanksgiving guests on Thursday. Looking forward to Day 2!! The added bonus of Melissa is just too too!! Thanks to you both.

mamajulie said...

I'm so excited. Two of my favorite go-to bloggers with crafts and recipes! What a Christmas present. Thank you!

Patti J said...

Love your notebook, and YUMMY! I'm a soup lover, especially when it gets cold! Can't wait to give this a try :) Thank you!

Dawn F. said...

Thank you so much for this post - it's been a difficult day and to come home and read and look at this beautiful project lifted my spirits. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work! I have been looking forward to this post :)

Not overly important, but I thought I'd let you know that "Potato" has no "e" on the end. Only the plural has the "e" in "Potatoes."
Amy

Cassie_lu said...

what a stunning project. love the colors and details you used

Renee said...

I almost forgot it started today!!! But I should be excused, became a Mom 13 years ago this morning to TWO little pieces of heaven! Loved it all and am now going to Melissa's site. Can't wait to see what you have for tomorrow!

Linda Nicholson said...

Love this! You and Melissa can collaborate any time! You've inspired me to make one of these for myself and a couple for little fifties for the kids teachers.

I'm also hoping you'll see this to answer my questions as I'm trying your soup recipe tonight. Is the one soup French Onion? I hope so as that is the only canned onion soup I could find. Also, how big is the bag of hashbrown potatoes? The ones I found are almost two pounds each?

Thanks for the inspiration on both fronts!

Linda

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

awesome projects! I've made 18 notepads so far and cut a bunch of my scraps last weekend to make more. I love these little notepads. You bagged yours up so cute!

I will have to try your recipe too.

Alice said...

gorgeous projects! LOVE all the pretty details you put in!

Linda Nicholson said...

All right...made the soup and all I can say is YUMMO! Thanks for the recipe, it IS a keeper!

Linda

Melissa Sauls said...

Gorgeous!!!!!

Diana said...

Oh my gosh!! I was so excited when I started to read your post and realized it would be a holiday planner. I made nine "Mish Style" planners this month to give out to friends both on Thursday and Friday of this week. I wanted them to have it before December so they could use them for this weekends shopping. I also spray painted red the small clothes pins I ordered from your Etsy store, used a white gel pen and made polka dots on them, so cute. I placed the planners in cello bags tied with red/white PTI twine with jingle bells and ribbon. Completely a "Mish" inspiration. I love the planners you made today, love the banner element and of course the Take Note stamping, all of it just so awesome. Thank you for the ongoing inspiration, it just makes me happy because it encourages me to create.

Carol's Ink Spot said...

This is going to be so much fun hopping around each day to visit you and Melis. I love the notebooks and your soup recipe sounds so good! Thank you for giving of your time to us! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Cindy said...

The other girls have already summed it all up - adorable, fabuloso, cute, irresistible, etc. You and your creations are amazing! I am saving all 24 recipes. Have you ever shared your candied jalapeno recipe before? I would love to have it! Thanks for everything!

Connie Pruitt said...

Happy Thanksgiving

Cindy H. said...

Beautiful Christmas Planner and presentation!! The chowder sounds delish - thanks for sharing.

Rhonda Z said...

I love your recipes. This sounds so yummy. I even think my picky husband will eat it! I also love all of your projects. I read your blog faithfully.

Valerie C said...

Thank you so much to you and Melissa for sharing 12 Days of Christmas with us. It's a busy time as is and to go to this extra special length is awesome! Beautiful planner.

Related Posts with Thumbnails